pfSense WAN Static IP HELP

PlenumRated

Hello. I recently installed pfSense on a WatchGuard x700. I am having trouble configuring WAN on one of the ports. My ISP is ATT and they have given me a Static IPv4 address. (99.xx.xxx.xxx) I need help with the configureation and why I cant connect to the internet through the device. I havent taken out my old router/modem combo unit and evencuallly will replace it with a modem. 

Thanks, Matthew

"Just another day at the office" Captain Price -Call of Duty

Did they give you the default gateway and their DNS server IPs? I haven't touched pfSense but I'm guessing you need those.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

Did they give you the default gateway and their DNS server IPs? I haven't touched pfSense but I'm guessing you need those.

192..168.1.254 is the default gateway, the DNS servers that I plan to use are Google DNS. 8.8.8.8

1 minute ago, Matthew45985 said:

192..168.1.254 is the default gateway, the DNS servers that I plan to use are Google DNS. 8.8.8.8

You misunderstand, I'm positive they have a router somewhere in front of yours which you will need the IP address of.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

You misunderstand, I'm positive they have a router somewhere in front of yours which you will need the IP address of.

I am on my router Broadband page and seeing if that helps any.

2 hours ago, Matthew45985 said:

Hello. I recently installed pfSense on a WatchGuard x700. I am having trouble configuring WAN on one of the ports. My ISP is ATT and they have given me a Static IPv4 address. (99.xx.xxx.xxx) I need help with the configureation and why I cant connect to the internet through the device. I havent taken out my old router/modem combo unit and evencuallly will replace it with a modem. 

Thanks, Matthew

I don't know how it works for you, but I am guessing, that you need PPPoE to enter your credentials for your internet connection?

If you go to Interfaces > WAN, which option did you choose at "IPv4 Configuration Type"? The static IP will be given to you from your ISP, as soon as your router is set properly.

Please quote me in any answers to my posts, so that I can read them easily and don´t forget about them. Thanks!

I love spending my time with PC tinkering, networking and server-stuff.

When AT&T gives you your static IP, it won't just be the IP. They also have to give you the subnet, and a default gateway *which must be in the same subnet* 

Sometimes the subnet is given in a format that looks like an IP address, other times it is given as part of the IP, like 192.168.1.0/24 - the "/24" tells you the subnet.

The defalt gateway has to be in the same subnet as your IP (and therefore usually starts withsome of the same numbers as your IP) because otherwise your router would have no way of talking to the default gateway device. Communication between two connected devices must always be within the same subnet.

If you program your new router (PFSense) with the public static IP that AT&T gives you, it will only work if the new router is connected to the modem, with no other devices in between. See the above paragraph if that is confusing.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

I think you misunderstand the funktion of pfSense, it is supposed to replace your providers broadband router. If you get an 192.168. something IP address, then someting is wrong. This is a local only address, just like 10. sometinh or 172.16. something. get a Cable modem or check if you can set the isp router to bridged mode (which makes it very modem like), otherwise you have to play with your NAT