Using Different architecture GPUs in same PC?

Say im folding using my 390X, am I able to throw in a 7970 and have it fold too, even though I would be running GPU drivers for my 390X? Could I also throw in a third GPU, a 5870 (even older)? Can I mix in a NVIDIA card? Or does it work like SLI/crossfire and follow those rules as far as mult-gpu goes.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Just now, suchamoneypit said:

Say im folding using my 390X, am I able to throw in a 7970 and have it fold too, even though I would be running GPU drivers for my 390X? Could I also throw in a third GPU, a 5870 (even older)? Can I mix in a NVIDIA card? Or does it work like SLI/crossfire and follow those rules as far as mult-gpu goes.

You can mix cards not problem; there used to be a time when I folded with a Gtx 970 + Radeon HD 6670. You don't need SLI / CF for it to work, just plug the cards in, have the drivers installed and there ya go.

With that said, I wouldn't recommend folding with a 5870 and a 7970. I mean, if you have them collecting dust already, you might as well plug them in and generate some extra points. But, I'd try to sell these old and inneficient cards to either swap for a single, more modern one, or perhaps even take the chance to sell the 390x along and dump all the cash into a single Gtx 1070 / 1080 for even more PPD and MUCH superior PPW.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

You can mix cards not problem; there used to be a time when I folded with a Gtx 970 + Radeon HD 6670. You don't need SLI / CF for it to work, just plug the cards in, have the drivers installed and there ya go.

With that said, I wouldn't recommend folding with a 5870 and a 7970. I mean, if you have them collecting dust already, you might as well plug them in and generate some extra points. But, I'd try to sell these old and inneficient cards to either swap for a single, more modern one, or perhaps even take the chance to sell the 390x along and dump all the cash into a single Gtx 1070 / 1080 for even more PPD and MUCH superior PPW.

how do I install drivers for all of them, without messing with my main drivers for my 390X?

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

Good question.. find their drivers and just run the setup. It will most likely not mess with the 390x.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

I've run a 290x and 960 in the same system for a little while

I installed the drivers for my 290x first, then inserted the 960 and installed it's drivers

then, my 960 folded while my 290x gamed

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

Uninstalling the folding client after seating the cards and installing drivers helps too if you can't get them to show up by adding slots.

Oh, and then reinstalling it...:D

1 hour ago, TheGlenlivet said:

Uninstalling the folding client after seating the cards and installing drivers helps too if you can't get them to show up by adding slots.

Oh, and then reinstalling it...:D

4 hours ago, shadowbyte said:

I've run a 290x and 960 in the same system for a little while

I installed the drivers for my 290x first, then inserted the 960 and installed it's drivers

then, my 960 folded while my 290x gamed

4 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Good question.. find their drivers and just run the setup. It will most likely not mess with the 390x.

I got them running, drivers and all; thank you. The 660 I have running alongside my 390X is painfully slow though. 390X is at 3% while 660 is at .05%.

EDIT: sudden pickup in speed and now it seems to be performing correctly. Leveling around 1/3 - 1/4 speed of my 390X.