Reasonably Powerful Phone under $100AUD

Hi.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S4 a while back, but it had a broken screen. Today, I thought I'd try to fix it. Didn't work out, because I ended up shoving my prying tool underneath the first layer of the digitiser.

This leaves me without a mobile phone.

I have resurrected my old Samsung Galaxy S2 to use in the meantime, but I've been looking at mobile phones on plans, in local stores and online.

I was looking on eBay, but the cheapest phone I could find that fit my criteria was another Galaxy S4 for about $250AUD. Firstly, that's too much for me, I'm only a student and every dollar counts, and secondly, I have tried the Galaxy S4. I don't want another one.

Upon having a look online, it proved hard to find anything. I saw cheap smartphones, but they were generic brands and were terribly specced.

The criteria for the phone are as follows:

• Screen needs to be in the area of 5 inches, probably smallest I would go is 4.7"
  • At least a quad-core processor with 2GB of RAM, and 16GB of internal storage if it has microSD slot, 32GB with no microSD card slot
  • Must run at least Android 5.0 Lollipop or newer
  • Must be 4G compatible
  • Phone must be in reasonably good condition (as long as the screen has no cracks
  • Around the $100AUD mark either on eBay Australia, JB Hi-Fi Australia or even Dick Smith online Australia.

I would prefer an Android phone, but I would purchase an iPhone, however I expect the 5c to not have much time left on its software support, so it rules the 5c out, and the 5s's are upwards of $400AUD.

All opinions will be considered carefully before making the decision as to what phone I purchase.

Thanks so much guys,

-Alpha.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB

Okay being a fellow Australian, i advise looking at the following areas as well,
 - Post Office (usually really expensive but sometimes with no advertising they do some great deals on electronics, picked up a 2TB portable HDD @ $73 when office works selling 1TB @ $89
- Gumtree, even if the phone is locked to telstra check if there are ways to unlock it (i have a HTC M7 got it for $70 can be unlocked by telstra)
- Cash converters (they actually have some really competitive selling prices, but they don't give much for buying (they are a tiger prawn shop)

- Save the children (more cloths but sometimes they get electronics, they don't know what to price them. My sister picked up a ds with 10 games $15. (on that day some little girl name "Molly" cried)

- Check if there is an auction house around (look for police auctions)

For recommendations:
 - Refurbished Nexus 4 (at least something with a new battery) has almost everything except storage and 4G
- The HTC M7 doesn't look bad if you get it from china (ebay idk how legit though)
 - Most of the normal big retailers (good guys, harvey norman, kogan, jb) your probably looking cheapest $170 and the specs usually don't meet (ram mostly)
 - One possibility is to buy a broken phone and fix it, (check repair ability online before the purchase) 

Best of luck, let me know how you go

6 hours ago, uzarnom said:

Okay being a fellow Australian, i advise looking at the following areas as well,
 - Post Office (usually really expensive but sometimes with no advertising they do some great deals on electronics, picked up a 2TB portable HDD @ $73 when office works selling 1TB @ $89
- Gumtree, even if the phone is locked to telstra check if there are ways to unlock it (i have a HTC M7 got it for $70 can be unlocked by telstra)
- Cash converters (they actually have some really competitive selling prices, but they don't give much for buying (they are a tiger prawn shop)

- Save the children (more cloths but sometimes they get electronics, they don't know what to price them. My sister picked up a ds with 10 games $15. (on that day some little girl name "Molly" cried)

- Check if there is an auction house around (look for police auctions)

For recommendations:
 - Refurbished Nexus 4 (at least something with a new battery) has almost everything except storage and 4G
- The HTC M7 doesn't look bad if you get it from china (ebay idk how legit though)
 - Most of the normal big retailers (good guys, harvey norman, kogan, jb) your probably looking cheapest $170 and the specs usually don't meet (ram mostly)
 - One possibility is to buy a broken phone and fix it, (check repair ability online before the purchase) 

Best of luck, let me know how you go

After lots of looking, I decided that I did not want a secondhand phone due to how terrible the condition was on most devices.

I did some more research about JB Hi-Fi, and found an LG K10 smartphone for $249AUD. It was a bit more than what I wanted to spend, but it has a lot of power, and it proves that you don't need to spend upwards of $700AUD for a smartphone to get decent power.

I'll be posting my review of the K10 soon, so stay tuned!

Thanks man too for all your help, it means a lot.

-Alpha.

2017 Gaming PC

Excellent value machine, keeps me going.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 8GB | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | Motherboard: MSI Z170A XPOWER GAMING TITANIUM

PSU: Casecom 600W PSU | Case: Corsair Graphite 230T | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | HDD: 3TB WD Blue

Dell XPS 15 9560

Beautiful laptop, in a stunning form factor.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ | GPU: Intel HD Graphics 630/Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (not mobile, full GPU) | RAM: 16GB DDR4 | SSD: 512GB SK Hynix SSD

Display: 4K IPS 100% Adobe RGB Touch Panel | I/O: Two USB 3.0 with PowerShare, HDMI, 3.5mm Headphone Jack, SD Card Slot, and Thunderbolt 3 USB-C

Samsung Galaxy S8 64GB | Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 32GB