RX 470 8GB or RX 480 4gb?

I know this has been asked already but I am confused. Some reviewers say there's no point in the RX 470 having 8GB of Vram for 1080p gaming as it will not have enough power in other areas to ever use 8GB but they also say the RX 470 is not far from RX 480 in a lot of games and could be overclocked to 480 levels. So if that's true then why wouldn't a Sapphire Nitro RX 470 8GB overclocked a little bit make sense?

I plan to have this card do me for 1080p for the next 3 years and they are both similar price where I'm buying so I'm wondering why I should buy one over the other.

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies

Only Sapphire uses the same memory from the 8GB 480 on their 470 Nitro. If you are going to a sapphire card, get the Nitro.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

480, 8GB won't ever be effectively used on a 470 or 480. The 480 will be obsolete when 8GB is the standard.

i5-6600k (4.6) | Dark Rock 3 | MSI GAMING X 1060 6GB | 8GB DDR4 | 120GB SSD & 1TB HDD | Crystal 460x

| Acer GN246HL 1080p 24" 144hz & Acer G246HL 1080p 24" 60hz |

PSU Tier List | PC Partpickers: US Canada Australia UK

That will be true by the time 8GB is the standard but what about the time when anything above 4GB is the norm?

Just now, TotaLInsanity said:

That wasent the question.

He got valid answers before me so why would i repeat the same thing? I just gave my opinion. Also it's "wasn't" not "wasent" =)

1 minute ago, frozeNNN said:

He got valid answers before me so why would i repeat the same thing? I just gave my opinion. Also it's "wasn't" not "wasent" =)

But he didnt even ask anything remotly close to choosing between the rx 480 and some other card. And also i noticed that i spelled  "wasn't" wrong and changed it before your reply =)

1 minute ago, TotaLInsanity said:

But he didnt even ask anything remotly close to choosing between the rx 480 and some other card. And also i noticed that i spelled  "wasn't" wrong and changed it before your reply =)

Nope,he asked which apple to buy,green one or the red one =)

3 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

Nope,he asked which apple to buy,green one or the red one =)

5 minutes ago, TotaLInsanity said:

Lol thanks both of you for the help

1 minute ago, wackywobbler said:

Lol thanks both of you for the help

:D