First Ever PC Build.

JoKr
8 minutes ago, Thinkfreely said:

That should be more than enough for the 1060 and CPU, but I am not familiar with superflower, they may be an off brand with bad quality and one thing you never want to skimp on is the psu, go corsair or evga or cooler master if you can get any of those, preferably with at least a bronze rating.

they're a top tier psu brand, similar quality as seasonic and delta. in fact, superflower are the ones who build evga's flagship B/G/P/T2 power supplies.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

16 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

they're a top tier psu brand, similar quality as seasonic and delta. in fact, superflower are the ones who build evga's flagship B/G/P/T2 power supplies.

This message brought to you by NBC - the caring network. THE MORE YOU KNOW :D

I would rather agree on what we share, than fight on what we don't. - Myself

FULL PC SPECS ON PROFILE https://linustechtips.com/main/profile/454099-thinkfreely/

3 hours ago, herman mcpootis said:

good enough. but get the 6500 instead, 6600 not worth the extra price. supernova G2 is a tier 1 psu, very good. but the superflower leadex gold is cheaper and the same so i recommend that instead.

I'm inclined to agree with herman here (Thanks, @herman mcpootis! Finally got my build assembled). I went with  a modular seasonic due to it's price and good reviews. My cousin is using the same power supply unit (M12II 520W) for his 5-year-old build. TBH, if it's your first build, try to go to a brick-and-mortar shop. At least you can get to know the nice ppl there (pls be nice to them too!) and bring someone experienced with you.

1 minute ago, markchui said:

I'm inclined to agree with herman here (Thanks, @herman mcpootis! Finally got my build assembled). I went with  a modular seasonic due to it's price and good reviews. My cousin is using the same power supply unit (M12II 520W) for his 5-year-old build. TBH, if it's your first build, try to go to a brick-and-mortar shop. At least you can get to know the nice ppl there (pls be nice to them too!) and bring someone experienced with you.

Brick-and-mortar shop?Whats that and also,why is there a need to bring someone experienced with me?are they like scammers or something and also,i currently knows no one that is as interested as me,not friends,not cousins,not anyone.

14 minutes ago, JoKr said:

Brick-and-mortar shop?Whats that and also,why is there a need to bring someone experienced with me?are they like scammers or something and also,i currently knows no one that is as interested as me,not friends,not cousins,not anyone.

Haha that means a real, physical shop. It's for that sense of security and having an extra person observe for things that you may otherwise miss. Otherwise, it isn't compulsory but merely a suggestion. It's more important if you plan to buy from shops other than Fuwell and PCThemes. I have read a few negative ones about shops other than those (e.g. Tradepac). Bizgram ppl seem nice tho. Went there to get a small piece of hardware. Just for some context, this is my build:

1) CPU: i5-6500 

2) M/B: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H DDR4 (because I wanted a slightly better on-board audio card than the B150 for the apps I'm using (occasional Premier and Audition use); it has intel's smart response tech since im using both an SSD and HDD)

3) RAM: 1x 8GB DDR4 2133 MHz Kingston (anything more and the mobo will just push the freq down to 2133 MHz)

4) SSD: 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo (120 is too little for the number of apps I use; and it has 5 YEARS warranty! I did consider the M.2 version but decided against it because if I wanted to reuse the same SSD as a spare (in case of future SSD upgrades), SATA-based enclosures are easier to come by; plus the difference in read and write speeds are pretty similar apparently)

5) PSU: Seasonic M12II 520W

6) Case: CM N200 

7) Graphics: no discrete graphics card (am happy with the iGPU and there are plans for an upgrade once pay-day comes)

8) Other: Asus 24X DVD-RW, No-name 5-in-1 media card reader

all together the build cost me about 838 +10 for the media card reader. And since they have the zotac 1060 3gb card for another 299 it just crosses the 1100 mark a little bit if i have plans to upgrade and play AAA titles. Although, the RX 460 was recommended to me as well since I dont plan to run anything above 1440p at 60Hz.

19 minutes ago, JoKr said:

Also, it would have been helpful if you could mention the purpose of your build. Is it primarily for gaming, for running certain apps, school work, etc.? There's a thread that guides new posters on new threads for PC builds and it may be helpful if you could stick to it as close as possible.

Ultimately, you decide what's best for you based on personal research. 

13 minutes ago, markchui said:

Haha that means a real, physical shop. It's for that sense of security and having an extra person observe for things that you may otherwise miss. Otherwise, it isn't compulsory but merely a suggestion. It's more important if you plan to buy from shops other than Fuwell and PCThemes. I have read a few negative ones about shops other than those (e.g. Tradepac). Bizgram ppl seem nice tho. Went there to get a small piece of hardware. Just for some context, this is my build:

1) CPU: i5-6500 

2) M/B: Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H DDR4 (because I wanted a slightly better on-board audio card than the B150 for the apps I'm using (occasional Premier and Audition use); it has intel's smart response tech since im using both an SSD and HDD)

3) RAM: 1x 8GB DDR4 2133 MHz Kingston (anything more and the mobo will just push the freq down to 2133 MHz)

4) SSD: 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo (120 is too little for the number of apps I use; and it has 5 YEARS warranty! I did consider the M.2 version but decided against it because if I wanted to reuse the same SSD as a spare (in case of future SSD upgrades), SATA-based enclosures are easier to come by; plus the difference in read and write speeds are pretty similar apparently)

5) PSU: Seasonic M12II 520W

6) Case: CM N200 

7) Graphics: no discrete graphics card (am happy with the iGPU and there are plans for an upgrade once pay-day comes)

8) Other: Asus 24X DVD-RW, No-name 5-in-1 media card reader

all together the build cost me about 838 +10 for the media card reader. And since they have the zotac 1060 3gb card for another 299 it just crosses the 1100 mark a little bit if i have plans to upgrade and play AAA titles. Although, the RX 460 was recommended to me as well since I dont plan to run anything above 1440p at 60Hz.

One thing to let you know, tho... if you plan to purchase the parts from PCThemes, their price list from 15 days ago is already outdated for some things (like RAM). Also, it may help if to mention about your, ehem, predicament as a student saving up money...

3 minutes ago, markchui said:

One thing to let you know, tho... if you plan to purchase the parts from PCThemes, their price list from 15 days ago is already outdated for some things (like RAM). Also, it may help if to mention about your, ehem, predicament as a student saving up money...

the ones from hardwarezone are fully updated.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, herman mcpootis said:

the ones from hardwarezone are fully updated.

Haha I had trouble signing back in to HWZ so I just gave up :P. The price differences appear to be minimal from update to update, although there were some price drops in some products.

38 minutes ago, JoKr said:

basically its like what mark said, its a shop you can physically enter and browse through. its good for you to have someone experienced,but you should be fine if you go yourself(if you can carry all the parts; psu and case can be very heavy). most of the stores are not scammers but a few of them are abit sketchy, which is why the locals don't recommend going to places like tradepac(for newbies anyway; they like to take spare things from your purchases). pcthemes is the best you can get in safety though. ask their yilong for help if you need any. and make sure to inspect the motherboard for any bent/broken pins before you leave with it.

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

basically its like what mark said, its a shop you can physically enter and browse through. its good for you to have someone experienced,but you should be fine if you go yourself(if you can carry all the parts; psu and case can be very heavy). most of the stores are not scammers but a few of them are abit sketchy, which is why the locals don't recommend going to places like tradepac. pcthemes is the best you can get in safety though. ask their yilong for help if you need any. and make sure to inspect the motherboard for any bent/broken pins before you leave with it.

Agreed! And you can even watch yazid assemble the build if you want to try a future build yourself. Learned quite a bit and was greatly impressed by his speed at putting the whole thing together! Loved how he cable-managed mine. Initially the OS may run rather slowly so just remember to install the MOBO driver when you get back.

Haha read some posts on HWZ and the comments on tradepac were hilarious. xD

1 minute ago, markchui said:

Agreed! And you can even watch yazid assemble the build if you want to try a future build yourself. Learned quite a bit and was greatly impressed by his speed at putting the whole thing together! Loved how he cable-managed mine. Initially the OS may run rather slowly so just remember to install the MOBO driver when you get back.

Haha read some posts on HWZ and the comments on tradepac were hilarious. xD

OS has never initially ran slowly for the multiple builds i've done in the past, i think yours had an update or smth. 

OS has never initially ran slowly for the multiple builds i've done in the past, i think yours had an update or smth. 

Oh shucks... That may be true. After all, I'm rather new to this. Happy that it's running really well now! Faster even than my old laptop. 

6 minutes ago, markchui said:

Oh shucks... That may be true. After all, I'm rather new to this. Happy that it's running really well now! Faster even than my old laptop. 

btw, if you still have a few parts not bought, lazada has promo codes; HURRYSEP30 for $30 off $200 purchases and HURRYSEP100 for $100 off $600 purchases.

btw, if you still have a few parts not bought, lazada has promo codes; HURRYSEP30 for $30 off $200 purchases and HURRYSEP100 for $100 off $600 purchases.

Thanks for the heads up, m8! :D 

1 hour ago, markchui said:

Thanks for the heads up, m8! :D 

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

Thanks for both of your help,I will show the forum once Im done with my build and will definitely give credits to whoever has helped me.

Also, it would have been helpful if you could mention the purpose of your build. Is it primarily for gaming, for running certain apps, school work, etc.? There's a thread that guides new posters on new threads for PC builds and it may be helpful if you could stick to it as close as possible.

Ultimately, you decide what's best for you based on personal research. 

I've been doing small jobs,also part time jobs to save up,In my family,i'm the independent one out of all hehe,and i would do anything to achieve my dream of building a pc,I'm a heavy gamer,i play competitive games(like cs go) and also games like arma 3,gta 5,dishonored 2 and more that I am lazy to mention.

9 minutes ago, JoKr said:

I've been doing small jobs,also part time jobs to save up,In my family,i'm the independent one out of all hehe,and i would do anything to achieve my dream of building a pc,I'm a heavy gamer,i play competitive games(like cs go) and also games like arma 3,gta 5,dishonored 2 and more that I am lazy to mention.

what part time jobs? i've been earning PC money by selling old pcs on carousell. you can also get your games off humble bundle/bundlestars/indiegala/etc. very cheap bundles; prices range from $1 to $15 USD, and the money(some of it, anyway) goes to charity.

16 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

what part time jobs? i've been earning PC money by selling old pcs on carousell. you can also get your games off humble bundle/bundlestars/indiegala/etc. very cheap bundles; prices range from $1 to $15 USD, and the money(some of it, anyway) goes to charity.

Working at Popeyes,Helping out in my brother-in-law's restaurant,doing some movers work,something like that and as for games,ive been using G2A as my source.

6 minutes ago, markchui said:

It doesn't say whether there's individual warranty for the parts, so you may be taking a risk there but I think it's really bang for your buck! Add about SGD 140 for an SSD and you're ready to go. Although, you must also add about 220 usd for shipping. :P

26 minutes ago, markchui said:

i wouldn't go for it, 1 year warranty, no details whatsoever about the power supply. 4gb isn't alot for 1080p nowadays. he's better off buying from sls and lazada/qoo10 during promos.

It doesn't say whether there's individual warranty for the parts, so you may be taking a risk there but I think it's really bang for your buck! Add about SGD 140 for an SSD and you're ready to go. Although, you must also add about 220 usd for shipping. :P

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

i wouldn't go for it, 1 year warranty, no details whatsoever about the power supply. 4gb isn't alot for 1080p nowadays. he's better off buying from sls and lazada/qoo10 during promos.

Im not into pre built pc as i want to experience building a pc my self(been a long dream of mine) and i think im gonna bring my 1200 SGD over to PCTHEMES and ask them to get me the pc parts with the budget as long as theres a gtx 1060 inside,if that is a good idea

Just now, JoKr said:

Im not into pre built pc as i want to experience building a pc my self(been a long dream of mine) and i think im gonna bring my 1200 SGD over to PCTHEMES and ask them to get me the pc parts with the budget as long as theres a gtx 1060 inside,if that is a good idea

get some of your parts at lazada, use those promo codes to get better parts.

1 minute ago, herman mcpootis said:

get some of your parts at lazada, use those promo codes to get better parts.

So what parts should i get at pcthemes and what parts should i get at lazada?