This monster is alive! (almost)

Inspirational
Go to solution Solved by Inspirational,
2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I looked at more testing.  The H5 really performs.  It is a higher tier cooler.

I made some changes, and it seems as though everything is now complete. The build is JUST under $2500.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/vdfcxY

I had a look at the build you proposed, however, it seems as though we are constantly jumping through different towers (of varying colours). This is causing many of the parts to become "odd," in terms of the colour theme. Now, since most of that build you suggested revolves around the case (+ the fans) and it's colour, I say we should finalise the case first, and then get the parts accordingly. Now, I am aware that throughout this week I have been changing my mind quite a lot on how I want to handle the payments for the desktop.

I initially started with:

"I don't care about the aesthetics within the tower, or how the tower looks. As long as the components are great, that's all that matters."

And now I am at this stage:

"There must be a strong focus on the performance of the components within the tower. With that being said, the overall aesthetic both within and on the case cannot be ignored, and must be appealing too (since the tower will not be changed)."

So I now also care for the looks of the tower, and the overall "flow" within it.

Keeping all of this in mind, after looking at the available cases once more, I found myself constantly returning to these:

Apparently I really like geometric shapes. Probably due to my design background :/ You may have noticed the colours that keep popping up are White & Blue and Black & Red. I am torn between the two as I really like both Red and Blue. Not to mention how both of the combinations of B&R and W&B work so well...

I am leaning towards one of NZXT towers... What are your thoughts on this?

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

This is the current build I am working on:

>>>> The $2500 ($1900 US) Desktop <<<<

>>> Old Build <<<

LAST UPDATED: 30-September-16 / 05:38PM (Sydney Time) 

29 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I am aware of this, and that's why I have been floating around the forums for close to a week now. I could have rushed it through and bought parts that "looked like they would work together," however, I decided to take my time and get some help from people who know more about this topic.

I don't like taking up anyone's time, so I was starting to hurry the process along (especially after finding out that my mate had found all the parts for his PC within a few days and ordered them already). With that being said, if you guys are genuinely interested in helping, then I will slow down once more. This will most certainly extend the time it will take to find the best solution. So if you guys are fine with that, then yes, I will again take my time and keep the questions rolling.

Yes, your thought process is very helpful.

That's quite interesting. Looks like the marketing department is doing their best to make the mobo seem better than it really is. I shouldn't be surprised at this haha

I thought the one I had found was good? Apparently not :/ I had a look at that tier list, it seems to be rather useful. I agree with you on sticking to Tier 3 and higher. As I had mentioned before, I want to make a build that will last a long time, and not breakdown/require an upgrade from me.

You don't have to go too slowly.  There is no reason a build can't be picked in a day or two.  You are not doing it alone.

I am here, watching shows, playing games... with LTT up on my second monitor.  You are absolutely no bother to me.  Ask as many questions as you have.  :)

The MSI board is not terrible.  I just don't like that they cut corners on an expensive board.  The five phases are most likely capable of pumping enough electricity for 99% of users, but would it be so hard to grab a industry leading eight phase controller and provide the necessary MOFSETs, inductors and capacitors to support it?  The cost is so little.

Take one of the builds (like the black/white one if you do not mind the colour change) and pop it up in a new thread asking if there any changes that are needed... AND the reasons behind those changes.  I promise not to interfere with almost 100% conviction.  If someone is giving you really bad info, I will stop them.

4 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

I had a look at the build you proposed, however, it seems as though we are constantly jumping through different towers (of varying colours). This is causing many of the parts to become "odd," in terms of the colour theme. Now, since most of that build you suggested revolves around the case (+ the fans) and it's colour, I say we should finalise the case first, and then get the parts accordingly. Now, I am aware that throughout this week I have been changing my mind quite a lot on how I want to handle the payments for the desktop.

I initially started with:

"I don't care about the aesthetics within the tower, or how the tower looks. As long as the components are great, that's all that matters."

And now I am at this stage:

"There must be a strong focus on the performance of the components within the tower. With that being said, the overall aesthetic both within and on the case cannot be ignored, and must be appealing too (since the tower will not be changed)."

So I now also care for the looks of the tower, and the overall "flow" within it.

Keeping all of this in mind, after looking at the available cases once more, I found myself constantly returning to these:

Apparently I really like geometric shapes. Probably due to my design background :/ You may have noticed the colours that keep popping up are White & Blue and Black & Red. I am torn between the two as I really like both Red and Blue. Not to mention how both of the combinations of B&R and W&B work so well...

I am leaning towards one of NZXT towers... What are your thoughts on this?

The Corsair case is a "tier" lower than the others.  Notice the lack of cable management features like grommets.  Even that said, the case is good.  The case is yours play with.  I will recommend the best value, but case selection is subjective to the buyers desires.  Look for what fans come with the case and make sure some fresh air gets in.

Just now, stconquest said:

The Corsair case is a "tier" lower than the others.  Notice the lack of cable management features like grommets.  Even that said, the case is good.  The case is yours play with.  I will recommend the best value, but case selection is subjective to the buyers desires.  Look for what fans come with the case and make sure some fresh air gets in.

In reality, it's between the Phanteks and NZXT. I just found the Corsair to have an interesting design.

I really like the NZXT's looks, but I am constantly asking myself if it is worth an extra $100 just to get it? I believe in terms of performance (for airflow within the towers) they are about the same. The Phantek will need some separate purchases, but that is fine (its like $30 or so).

Ok stuff it, I will pay extra to get the NZXT tower. As for the colours... Will it matter if we go for a White/blue theme, or Black/red theme? As in, some parts such as (most of) the MSI motherboards only come in Red/Black (using MSI just as an example). Will this hinder us in anyway, or am I free to pick whichever colour theme I prefer? 

>>> Old Build <<<

1 hour ago, antisleep said:

Yes it does. It comes with 4 cables like most ATX motherboards. If there's a motherboard tier list they probably belong in the same tier with the MSI in your list. For $230 AUD it's one of the best for the price mobos in your area. HardwareCanucks Review

Asus Z170-AR ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($230.00) is another good pick if you're going with black&white scheme.

Cut down version of the Corsair K70 keyboard itself, not the price. The Strafe I recommended has RGB lighting which is why it's slightly pricier, the K70 in your list has only RED leds. Check out their other differences: https://youtu.be/aDac7XTlrV0

Great video suggestion :)

For switches I don't recommended Cherry MX Blues, their clicks maybe satisfying but it's annoying to anyone near your or when your talking to someone on the mic. Safe picks are Browns, Reds, MX Silent.

Yea, later on I decided that Cherry MX Brown would be the best one for me

Avoid Corsair CX Green PSU's for high end systems. Get either of these Seasonic M12II 620W 80+ Bronze ($135) / Seasonic SSR-650RM 80+ Gold ($145) / EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold ($149)

I'll check'em out, thanks!

>>> Old Build <<<

15 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

In reality, it's between the Phanteks and NZXT. I just found the Corsair to have an interesting design.

I really like the NZXT's looks, but I am constantly asking myself if it is worth an extra $100 just to get it? I believe in terms of performance (for airflow within the towers) they are about the same. The Phantek will need some separate purchases, but that is fine (its like $30 or so).

Ok stuff it, I will pay extra to get the NZXT tower. As for the colours... Will it matter if we go for a White/blue theme, or Black/red theme? As in, some parts such as (most of) the MSI motherboards only come in Red/Black (using MSI just as an example). Will this hinder us in anyway, or am I free to pick whichever colour theme I prefer? 

What do you like more?  Black/red, or black/white(with a little blue/silver)?

Here, awesomeness all around:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($463.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($230.00 @ IJK)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($137.50 @ Newegg Australia)
Storage: Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($267.88 @ RamCity)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($679.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($195.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($75.00 @ Shopping Express)
Monitor: Asus VC239H 23.0" 60Hz Monitor  ($178.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 White LED Backlit (Brown Cherry MX) Wired Standard Keyboard  ($129.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $2572.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 04:28 AEST+1000

7 minutes ago, stconquest said:

What do you like more?  Black/red, or black/white(with a little blue/silver)?

I'll probably go with White & Blue

Since I always run my laptop with red lights :P 

>>> Old Build <<<

18 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-AC55BT PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter  ($75.00 @ Shopping Express)

Any reasons for changing to this one from the previous one I had?

I forgot to mention this last time you linked this build, but I really like this monitor! Its got barely any plastics on the sides, and is cheaper than the AOC one (I assume because its 1" smaller - which is completely fine). Nice find!

Keyboard: Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 White LED Backlit (Brown Cherry MX) Wired Standard Keyboard  ($129.00 @ CPL Online)
Total: $2572.38
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 04:28 AEST+1000

For the keyboard, I am not too keen on Ducky. 

Looking at these 4, I am in between the Corsair Strafe, and Corsair K70... 

I really like the idea of having a scroll-able volume adjustment device built into the keyboard like the K70. However, I noticed that the cheaper K70 has "normal keys." What are these? And why are they making it cheaper?

Also, the build is looking great!

>>> Old Build <<<

24 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

Any reasons for changing to this one from the previous one I had?

I forgot to mention this last time you linked this build, but I really like this monitor! Its got barely any plastics on the sides, and is cheaper than the AOC one (I assume because its 1" smaller - which is completely fine). Nice find!

I really like the idea of having a scroll-able volume adjustment device built into the keyboard like the K70. However, I noticed that the cheaper K70 has "normal keys." What are these? And why are they making it cheaper?

Also, the build is looking great!

I just grabbed the one with a blue PCB, the other ASUS adapter had a red heat sink on it.  What is the distance of your access point, or modem?  How many wall do you need to go through to get to the PC?  If it like 4 meters of open space, you can save money on a cheaper adapter.

The 23" bothered me too, but it looks really nice.

I switched the keyboard to save money for the Noctis case.  These keyboards all have volume control, but not all have dedicated buttons for them.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

I just grabbed the one with a blue PCB, the other ASUS adapter had a red heat sink on it.  What is the distance of your access point, or modem?  How many wall do you need to go through to get to the PC?  If it like 4 meters of open space, you can save money on a cheaper adapter.

The 23" bothered me too, but it looks really nice.

I switched the keyboard to save money for the Noctis case.

About 10 metres.

There is 1 wall between the router and the desktop's location. Does keeping the room's door (that basically acts like a wall) open help with the connection? Or is the difference barely noticeable? 

>>> Old Build <<<

5 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

About 10 metres.

There is 1 wall between the router and the desktop's location. Does keeping the room's door (that basically acts like a wall) open help with the connection? Or is the difference barely noticeable? 

I think you would be safe with something cheaper, the door won't matter much and the walls are not concrete I assume?

2 minutes ago, stconquest said:

I think you would be safe with something cheaper, the door won't matter much and the walls are not concrete I assume?

Something cheaper? Go for it. I'd still prefer it to have an AC connection though. And yes, the walls are just regular housing walls.

>>> Old Build <<<

45 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

Those 2 K70's are the same, no difference on the keys as the label says. It's just that their logo's on the keyboard are different.

Corsair changed their gaming logo in 2014 with something that look liked a tramp stamp and it got a ton of backlash from the community so they went back to their classic sails logo but slightly revamped.

Get the $191 model(CH-9000119-NA), that's the 2016 version with the new logo.

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/LTGkcf/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwdn3800

or even cheaper:  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Chh9TW/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwn881nd

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/RZNp99/asus-wireless-network-card-pcen15

If you can run Cat5 (or better), that would be ideal.  It is cheap and suffers no connectivity issue, while maintaining max speeds.  If you can run lines in walls and ceilings, I would try for that.  It takes very little skill, but it is not totally brainless.  You have to put thought into it.  If you have an attic above you, then that could be easy to use:

Modem to wall outlet... wall outlet up the wall to the attic... over to the ceiling in the target room... down a wall to a wall outlet.... wall outlet to the PC.

53 minutes ago, stconquest said:

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/LTGkcf/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwdn3800

or even cheaper:  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Chh9TW/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwn881nd

If you can run Cat5 (or better), that would be ideal.  It is cheap and suffers no connectivity issue, while maintaining max speeds.  If you can run lines in walls and ceilings, I would try for that.  It takes very little skill, but it is not totally brainless.  You have to put thought into it.  If you have an attic above you, then that could be easy to use:

Modem to wall outlet... wall outlet up the wall to the attic... over to the ceiling in the target room... down a wall to a wall outlet.... wall outlet to the PC.

What's CAT5?

>>> Old Build <<<

1 hour ago, stconquest said:

I found these two to be pretty good. Check them out, and tell me your thoughts :)

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/G4H323/tp-link-wireless-network-card-tlwdn4800

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/Fc8Zxr/asus-wireless-network-card-pcen53

>>> Old Build <<<

9 minutes ago, Inspirational said:

What's CAT5?

Cable.  Cat5e.  Cat6e.  Cat7e.

The TP-Link one looks good.  It has 5GHz capability which might help.

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

Cable.  Cat5e.  Cat6e.  Cat7e.

The TP-Link one looks good.  It has 5GHz capability which might help.

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/PvfmP6,2VWrxr,4ZfmP6,kbKhP6/

Just to save some money on the budget, I want to downgrade the SSD by a tad. Do you think any of these will do the job?

Also, here is a few changes I have done to the list:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/8mhmCy

>>> Old Build <<<

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/products/compare/PvfmP6,2VWrxr,4ZfmP6,kbKhP6/

Just to save some money on the budget, I want to downgrade the SSD by a tad. Do you think any of these will do the job?

Also, here is a few changes I have done to the list:
http://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/8mhmCy

That looks really good.;)

@Inspirational  Hey this is $110:  http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/YBQypg/ocz-internal-hard-drive-arc10025sat3480g

It is definitely not the fastest drive out there, old tech... but great price and is will suit your purpose well.  Seriously, this is fast enough for gaming and general use.  I am talking about loading windows in well under 10 seconds, installing windows in under 5 minutes... that type of speed.

1 minute ago, stconquest said:

That looks really good.;)

Awesome, in that case, it's basically finished. If you give it your seal of approval, I want to move it onto a new thread and see if anyone has some other ideas. From there, I can compare everyone's responses, and reach out to a few more people :)) 

After that, I'll give it some time to sink in, just in case I change my mind on one of the parts for whatever reason.

Also, a quick question for you. Have you used the PC Part Picker website to actually buy any of the parts? Or do you manually check other websites and sources that can deliver the item to you? I'm not too sure on how purchases are made on that website.

>>> Old Build <<<

Just now, Inspirational said:

Awesome, in that case, it's basically finished. If you give it your seal of approval, I want to move it onto a new thread and see if anyone has some other ideas. From there, I can compare everyone's responses, and reach out to a few more people :)) 

After that, I'll give it some time to sink in, just in case I change my mind on one of the parts for whatever reason.

Also, a quick question for you. Have you used the PC Part Picker website to actually buy any of the parts? Or do you manually check other websites and sources that can deliver the item to you? I'm not too sure on how purchases are made on that website.

PCPP does not order parts for you... at least I don't think they offer that service.  You have to go into each retail store's website and order from there.  Just group up the components from stores in bunches and head to the individual websites.

So this is it for now:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($463.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($69.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($230.00 @ IJK)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($137.50 @ Newegg Australia)
Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($117.00 @ CPL Online)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($679.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: NZXT Noctis 450 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($195.00 @ CPL Online)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($149.00 @ PCCaseGear)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($23.00)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WDN4800 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($47.00 @ Shopping Express)
Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($191.40 @ Skycomp Technology)
Total: $2478.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-26 07:08 AEST+1000

14 hours ago, stconquest said:

Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($117.00 @ CPL Online)

Do you think we can find somewhat of a better SSD? I recently found out that the case can hide the SSD, so the colour doesn't matter anymore. 

>>> Old Build <<<

6 hours ago, Inspirational said:

Do you think we can find somewhat of a better SSD? I recently found out that the case can hide the SSD, so the colour doesn't matter anymore. 

It was never about the colour.  It was about price/performance.  That drive offers each GB for $0.24.

It is not a bad drive:  http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/OCZ-ARC-100-480GB/Rating/3471

If you want more speed that will barely ever benefit you, you have to pay more.  It is up to you.  King of budget drives (Speed) is the Samsung EVO.

Almost twice the price: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/FrH48d/samsung-internal-hard-drive-mz75e500bam