USB Drive Issues

GS_HYBR1D

My Sandisk USB 128GB Drive is now 2.8 GB please help I have already tried to format it and still 2.8GB

7 hours ago, GS_HYBR1D said:

~snip~

Hey there GS_HYBR1D :)

What OS and computer are you using? 

How is the thumb drive seen in BIOS, Device Manager and Disk Management?   

What do you use the thumb drive for? 

I'd try testing the drive on multiple ports and multiple computers with different OSs.

It is possible that it has failed or it was broken and thus not allowing you to use its full capacity. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and see if the guys there can give you any useful tips.

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

10 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey there GS_HYBR1D :)

What OS and computer are you using? 

How is the thumb drive seen in BIOS, Device Manager and Disk Management?   

What do you use the thumb drive for? 

I'd try testing the drive on multiple ports and multiple computers with different OSs.

It is possible that it has failed or it was broken and thus not allowing you to use its full capacity. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer and see if the guys there can give you any useful tips.

Captain_WD. 

I am using Windows 10 home and it has been running fine I just think it is corrupted I can use that 2Gb but just no 128Gb

On 22.09.2016 г. at 1:54 AM, GS_HYBR1D said:

~snip~

Could you answer my other questions and possibly send a screenshot of the way the flash drive appears in Disk Management? 

Also, did you try the drive in another computer? Did you contact the manufacturer? 

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

On 9/21/2016 at 5:54 PM, GS_HYBR1D said:

I am using Windows 10 home and it has been running fine I just think it is corrupted I can use that 2Gb but just no 128Gb

Right-click the "This PC" icon and select "Manage", then you'll find "Disk Management" on the left. Find your drive on the bottom middle window and either screenshot or report the info

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

6 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Right-click the "This PC" icon and select "Manage", then you'll find "Disk Management" on the left. Find your drive on the bottom middle window and either screenshot or report the info

7 hours ago, Captain_WD said:

Could you answer my other questions and possibly send a screenshot of the way the flash drive appears in Disk Management? 

Also, did you try the drive in another computer? Did you contact the manufacturer? 

Captain_WD. 

Hello sorry about the wait have been in school. I have tried on multiple computers and still the same thing and haven't contacted the manufacturer because I don't feel like saying plug it back in and then take it out and then try again try in another port if you know what i mean. Here is a screenshot of another drive but with the same problem this is my 3rd drive with this issue.

Screenshot (10).png

16 hours ago, GS_HYBR1D said:

Hello sorry about the wait have been in school. I have tried on multiple computers and still the same thing and haven't contacted the manufacturer because I don't feel like saying plug it back in and then take it out and then try again try in another port if you know what i mean. Here is a screenshot of another drive but with the same problem this is my 3rd drive with this issue.

Screenshot (10).png

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, actually lost internet for a day >:( anyway...

What you have there with the black bars is unallocated space. The drives should be fine, they're just partitioned for some reason you might not know how why what or when it happened. 

For Disk 0 (DATA (D:)) you can simply right-click directly under the blue bar anywhere in the white box and select "Extend Volume" in that menu. When the window pops up, you don't have to change any numbers, just click next and you should have all your space back on (D:).

For Disk 2, you could try adding the 26.95GB to the 2.76GB partition (by following the same steps as above but under the 2.76GB's blue bar), but it may not work. You may have to delete (F:) first (by right-clicking and selecting "Delete Volume" and then add the unallocated space to the 2.76GB partition. 

Just be careful what you delete, you wouldn't want to accidentally wipe stuff, especially anything on Disk 1, and before deleting double-check that you save anything you want to keep over on a different drive.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

19 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, actually lost internet for a day >:( anyway...

What you have there with the black bars is unallocated space. The drives should be fine, they're just partitioned for some reason you might not know how why what or when it happened. 

For Disk 0 (DATA (D:)) you can simply right-click directly under the blue bar anywhere in the white box and select "Extend Volume" in that menu. When the window pops up, you don't have to change any numbers, just click next and you should have all your space back on (D:).

For Disk 2, you could try adding the 26.95GB to the 2.76GB partition (by following the same steps as above but under the 2.76GB's blue bar), but it may not work. You may have to delete (F:) first (by right-clicking and selecting "Delete Volume" and then add the unallocated space to the 2.76GB partition. 

Just be careful what you delete, you wouldn't want to accidentally wipe stuff, especially anything on Disk 1, and before deleting double-check that you save anything you want to keep over on a different drive.

Thank you very much!!!

23 hours ago, meenmeen1103 said:

Not sure if you can wipe primary partitions on USB drives, as for it does not seem to let you do so on any other flash based memory chips.

24 minutes ago, ColeTheTechDude said:

Not sure if you can wipe primary partitions on USB drives, as for it does not seem to let you do so on any other flash based memory chips.

The way the partitions are allocated, it looks like F: came after the 2.76 partition, and if that's so, he should be able to delete it. If not, he would just have to delete the 2.76 to add it to unallocated, then make a new volume or add it to F:. Seems like he got it worked out, if not at least he now knows the steps to partition

20 minutes ago, ColeTheTechDude said:

EDIT: totally misread that...

On 24.09.2016 г. at 10:10 AM, meenmeen1103 said:

~snip~

As @meenmeen1103 pointed out all you have to do is manage the unallocated space in your drives. Here's an example of how you can do that.

Make sure you have backed any data up from the thumb drive as deleting partitions gets rid of the data too.

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Captain_WD. 

18 hours ago, GS_HYBR1D said:

~snip~

Try wiping all partitions that you see. Also, you can attempt a secure erase with an application to ensure that any software-based applications, problems or malware isn't causing this issue. 

You mentioned that your flash drive is a 128GB one but the Disk Management shows a total of 30GB which may mean that the flash drive itself has failed and needs to be replaced. Try contacting the manufacturer's support. 

Captain_WD. 

To be honest, considering the drive in question is only showing a total capacity of 29.81GB instead of its true capacity of around 110GB (I'm just guessing) it looks like either the drive is cooked well done or it was never a 128GB drive to begin with (that would only be the case if it was purchased from eBay or a private amazon marketplace seller).

If it's under warranty, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer to get it replaced, but if it's a fake then there's no chance of a replacement.

11 hours ago, demonix00 said:

~snip~

I'd check the model number of the Flash Drive and see its specs and then confirm what capacity should the drive be. 

Contacting the manufacturer is a good idea as they can check the serial number of the drive if it's legitimate or not and can give some advice. 

Captain_WD.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 8:17 PM, demonix00 said:

To be honest, considering the drive in question is only showing a total capacity of 29.81GB instead of its true capacity of around 110GB (I'm just guessing) it looks like either the drive is cooked well done or it was never a 128GB drive to begin with (that would only be the case if it was purchased from eBay or a private amazon marketplace seller).

If it's under warranty, I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer to get it replaced, but if it's a fake then there's no chance of a replacement.

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 5:04 AM, Captain_WD said:

Try wiping all partitions that you see. Also, you can attempt a secure erase with an application to ensure that any software-based applications, problems or malware isn't causing this issue. 

You mentioned that your flash drive is a 128GB one but the Disk Management shows a total of 30GB which may mean that the flash drive itself has failed and needs to be replaced. Try contacting the manufacturer's support. 

Captain_WD. 

This is a different drive but it has the same issue. Another drive also that was 16Gb did the same thing and I have been using them on different computers the 2Gb works perfectly I'm not sure why this is occurring.

On 3.10.2016 г. at 5:46 AM, GS_HYBR1D said:

~snip~

Do contact the official support of the manufacturer and see what the guys there would say about this. As @demonix00 suggested the flash drive may have failed completely and thus not reporting its proper capacity and not showing your data. 

Captain_WD.