89°C at Idle? (Old laptop) and a few questions.

Vishvas Sudarshan

Okay so I have Dell Inspiron something-something Laptop, which I hadn't touched since 2014.

So I just wanted to power it on to see if it still works, Yes it did.

About 10 min later I felt it was a bit too hot. (Was in control panel, no load) Saw the CPU was at 89°C.

WHAT??? 89°C at idle?

I wanted to experiment a bit, so Installed AIDA64, ran the stress test.....and I can't understand how these happened:

CPU at 1.7GHz(Max)

Temp reached 98°C very quickly.

Throttled 3% for 2 seconds(As seen in AIDA64) 

Temp fell to 89°C again very quickly

Then CPU ran at 760MHz for 1 min, No throttling shown in AIDA64

1 min later CPU ran at 1.7GHz for about 3 seconds, temp reached 98°C, Throttled 3% for 2s , then fell to 760MHz.

This cycle continued.

(Fan ran at same speed throughout the test)

My questions are

1) How can a CPU reach 89°C at idle? A problem with thermal compound?

2) Why CPU ran at 760Mhz (and not 1.7GHz) with 0% throttling?

3) Any explanation for that cycle?

Edit: I don't plan on using this PC, but I'm just curious to know how these happened!

clean dust, if it's hard to dissemble set fan speed to max and blow in air in the place where it exhausts hot air, do it with short blows and see how your temps go down, if it doesn't help change thermal paste.

P.S did same thing to my friends laptop which was overheating (instant 90 °C under load)   when I blew in some air I heard dust hitting the fan and saw a part of it coming out temps dropped by 40 degrees and it became a lot quieter , you can blow air with your mouth :D

8 minutes ago, Likwid said:

clean dust, if it's hard to dissemble set fan speed to max and blow in air in the place where it exhausts hot air, do it with short blows and see how your temps go down, if it doesn't help change thermal paste.

P.S did same thing to my friends laptop which was overheating (instant 90 °C under load)   when I blew in some air I heard dust hitting the fan and saw a part of it coming out temps dropped by 40 degrees and it became a lot quieter , you can blow air with your mouth :D

Blew air in, Dust blew out, fan stopped spinning!

It isn't spinning even under load. Wow! Never seen such a fan.

(Don't worry, I'm not blaming you, I'm not even worried etc..., cause I don't use that laptop)

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎28‎-‎09‎-‎2016 at 10:30 PM, Likwid said:

Did you use compressor or something like that??

Blew with my mouth.