How the buggery do I force VGA mode on Win 8.1?

Curious Pineapple

I just had my graphics card go pop and short out the supply (again). I put my spare x700 in, and it's tying to output an unsupported resolution or refresh rate. I've interrupted the boot process a few times to force start up recovery, but it has the same issue. I'm a bit stuck now as I have no integrated graphics, and Can't find a way to get into safe mode that doesn't require booting into windows, which it does just fine, but I loose display once it loads graphics drivers.

It had a geforce card in, and I only have an ATi PCI-e graphics card spare. Swapping the sad into another machine likely won't work as I only have one AMD machine with SATA ports, so I can't use another machine with integrated graphics to remove the NVIDIA drivers.

Any help will be awesome, also a cheap graphics card for sale is now needed. Thanks ☺

Either you are not really in safemode, since safemode should never end up with a black-screen

OR you have to change settings on your screen, manually, with those old fashioned buttons once inside the OS, especially look for what input is used & screenposition.

@Nord or quote me if you want me to reply back. I don't necessarily check back or subscribe to every topic.

Amdahls law > multicore CPU.

5 hours ago, Nord said:

Either you are not really in safemode, since safemode should never end up with a black-screen

OR you have to change settings on your screen, manually, with those old fashioned buttons once inside the OS, especially look for what input is used & screenposition.

It wasn't giving me any display past the boot splash screen, just complaining monitors. I've snapped another failed capacitor off my graphics card and got it to work, so I'll remove all the nvidia drivers and try again if I don't get a new card soon :)