Corsair Vengeance LED DDR4 RAM Question

Hey everyone,

I'm planning on purchasing this type of RAM and I'm confused because there are a couple different model options.

Do I want C15 or C16? It looks like all C15 models say "for DDR4 systems" but the C16 models say "for intel 100" and some say "for DDR4 systems."

This will be for a Z170 and i7-6700k system so I assume I want C16 for intel 100, correct? I saw something about C16 being worse for gaming so I thought I'd check. Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

Do I want C15 or C16? It looks like all C15 models say "for DDR4 systems" but the C16 models say "for intel 100" and some say "for DDR4 systems."

Assuming the clock speed is the same (so for example, a 3000mhz CL15 kit vs a 3000mhz CL16 kit), the lower CL one will be a bit better, as far as performance goes.

4 minutes ago, HungryHamster said:

This will be for a Z170 and i7-6700k system so I assume I want C16 for intel 100, correct? I saw something about C16 being worse for gaming so I thought I'd check. Any information would be much appreciated

All you need is a 2x8 kit of RAM. Get something around the 3000mhz area; due to price, I usually recommend 3000mhz CL15 kits. But a 3200mhz CL16 is also acceptable if it's only a dollar or two more expensive.

Oh yeah, and forget all this nonsense about "intel 100". Pretty much everything works with Z170, though 2 stick kits are preferred over 4 stick ones.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

well... C15 and C16 are a measurement of CAS latency (the amount of time it takes for the RAM controller to access a specific storage location on the memory). Assuming these models operate at the same frequencies, then the lower CAS latency will technically be better; but realistically there will be almost no performance difference between these two though. My recommendation would just be to get whichever is cheaper, or if one is in a more desired colour or something.