HTPC Build

markchui

Hi. I have an old Dell Dimension 5520 from 2006 that the family hardly uses anymore. I am thinking of scavenging some bits of hardware to install into a prospective HTPC. Wanted some opinions on the build plan before I make further decisions.

The parts I will be reusing are:

- CPU: Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86 GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, FSB 1066 MHz)

- Storage: 320 GB 7200 rpm OEM

- PSU: OEM 300W 

- Optical Drive: 16x DVD-RW Drive OEM

These seem to be functioning well with my last check.

I intend to purchase the following components: 

- Case: MITX MX500

- M/B: Intel BLKDH61AG Thin Mini ITX Motherboard DH61AG (https://www.amazon.com/Intel-BLKDH61AG-Thin-Motherboard-DH61AG/dp/B00G9EXYLS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473659163&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+itx+lga+775)

- RAM: 2x 1GB Ramaxel 667 MHz DDR2

- Graphics: NVidia Geforce GT 730 2GB

Do note that the RAM and motherboard above no longer have a valid warranty card.

I hope to keep the budget below SGD 300, or about USD 220. The main intent is to replace the cable TV box with a monthly fee and help transition my parents to subscription apps on a HTPC. Secondarily, it would be another opportunity in learning to build a PC. This build would allow for basic gaming as well as some quick Word processing. This leads to several questions:

- Should I even consider this build? Or would you recommend that I purchase current Celeron- or Atom-based HTPCs such as the NUC and Chromboxes that may be a little cheaper? Or is it enough to just get a Chromecast?

- If I ultimately decide to go ahead with the build, is an extra expenditure of SGD 100 or so for an SSD recommended for those needs? Or should I save that money and purchase a CPU fan and peripherals?

It seems that people here are rather helpful, so I have again decided to seek your opinions. 

Mark

1. Id use the old dell. It should work fine. If you need more gpu power, but a gt 710 or simmilar in.

2. That mobo is thin mini-itx, not mini-itx, so the back io sheild won't fit. You also need a power brick for it.

3. Thats a ddr3 board, you need ddr3-sodimms.

4. Id get a cheap hdd or ssd, depends on if you need storage, they will be the same for video playback.

Wrong socket; that's an lga 1155 mobo, it won't fit the e6300.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

1. Id use the old dell. It should work fine. If you need more gpu power, but a gt 710 or simmilar in.

2. That mobo is thin mini-itx, not mini-itx, so the back io sheild won't fit. You also need a power brick for it.

3. Thats a ddr3 board, you need ddr3-sodimms.

4. Id get a cheap hdd or ssd, depends on if you need storage, they will be the same for video playback.

Ok. I do intend to install and run Windows 10, 'tho. Will this be sufficient?

Also, I looked for another board: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Executive-Mini-ITX-Graphics-1333MHz/dp/B001BN17ZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473660116&sr=8-1&keywords=lga+775+mini+itx+ddr2

Will this one be a good purchase or am I still better off not making this build?

Personally, i'd just go to pcthemes at sim lim square and get a g3258 and mitx mobo, 4-8gb ddr3 and use the iGPU, should run you about $230-250. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, markchui said:

Also, I looked for another board: https://www.amazon.com/Intel-Executive-Mini-ITX-Graphics-1333MHz/dp/B001BN17ZM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1473660116&sr=8-1&keywords=lga+775+mini+itx+ddr2

Will this one be a good purchase or am I still better off not making this build?

Mobo price seems damn ex, not worth it. 

37 minutes ago, markchui said:

Do you need mini itx. Id just use the old case.

If you want small, how about a nuc or a used one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-BOXDN2820FYKH0-DN2820FYKH0-Celeron-N2820-DDR3L-SODIMM-NUC-Kit-/182273189627?hash=item2a705426fb:g:9VwAAOSwpDdU9JQm

1 hour ago, herman mcpootis said:

Wrong socket; that's an lga 1155 mobo, it won't fit the e6300.

Lol, yeah I completely missed the description on the lower side of the page. Potential scammer, this vendor? And yeah, did the math during my free time and your suggestion for a G3258-based HTPC made more financial sense. Thanks, man.

41 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Do you need mini itx. Id just use the old case.

If you want small, how about a nuc or a used one. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-BOXDN2820FYKH0-DN2820FYKH0-Celeron-N2820-DDR3L-SODIMM-NUC-Kit-/182273189627?hash=item2a705426fb:g:9VwAAOSwpDdU9JQm

I would prefer a mini-ITX purely for aesthetic purposes. The TV console and all of its hardware are black, and the case is large and white. It will stick out like a sore thumb.

My other consideration was to run an older version of Ubuntu.

And yeah, I did ask whether the NUC was a better choice over a rebuild. Seeing both your and herman's reply gave that sort of inclination. 

56 minutes ago, corporatezombie said:

200 dollar budget?

Buy a second hand ps3 slim?

Lol that's something I have not considered so, thanks! But... I don't like the OS and the suite of available apps for download.

6 minutes ago, markchui said:

Lol, yeah I completely missed the description on the lower side of the page. Potential scammer, this vendor? And yeah, did the math during my free time and your suggestion for a G3258-based HTPC made more financial sense. Thanks, man.

i don't really think its a scammer, i think its intel themselves selling their products on amazon. i've seen component brands do this before, rather often in fact(although i sometimes see amazon selling it cheaper).

also, check to see if that 300w is a decent unit first before you use it. which brand and model is it?