Wires, splitters, general question(s).

CallisterUK

I posted something similar weeks / months ago, but once again just looking for further clarification.

The first picture is the back of my router. The cable next to the Ethernet ports is the Coaxial cable. I'm looking to buy a "Coaxial splitter" so essentially, I can have two cables plugged into the Router.

"so essentially, I can have two cables plugged into the Router" the second picture is the "Coaxial cable".

The "Splitter" I'm wanting to buy is: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Splitter-Modem-Virgin-Dbox/dp/B0014N5YJY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472344278&sr=8-1&keywords=2+way+cable+splitter+for+modem+virgin+box

Do you think this is compatible?

The existing cable which goes into the back of the Router (as shown in the picture), will be plugged into the Splitter.

I'm also going to buy another Coaxial cable, (this product exactly).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-25m-Satellite-Extension-Cable/dp/B00NZ7LXHY

Do you think all of this will be compatible? feedback is appreciated. My intentions are to connect the second cable to a TV box which will run upstairs.

Back of my.png

second image.png

Seems just as well.

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 GPU: NVIDIA GTX 1070 Cooling: N/A  Motherboard: N/A  Ram: 32GB

HDD: 4TB RAID 1 Array (two 4TB)  PSU: N/A Case: N/A OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Something Something Logitech

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2016 Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M40X Speakers: ??? Monitor: 2 x HP 22cwa  Phone: OnePlus 3T (T-Mobile Network)

If I understand correctly you have one COAX cable coming into your house, currently it's hooked up to your modem and you get internet.

If that is correct and you want to use the second COAX port to hook up to a TV or something, that should in theory work. But do be warned that this will create some signal degradation and could cause issues.

Does your cable provider not give you a coax splitter in the kit like shown in the attached picture? These can split the signal to what is needed for the modem, a tv and a radio. That would be the best solution. If not, the splitter you linked should in theory work.

CAI-UPC-Woonkamerspiltter-Tratec-MCP-03-15833677-500x500[1].jpg

• Quindor from the Intermittent Technology blog (intermit.tech) and YouTube channel (Intermit.Tech)
  • Organizer of LAN-parties (1100 people) The Party and CampZone (~2000 people)
  • Officially a senior storage expert, un-officially a networking expert, besides all of that enjoys lots of different computer related subjects
  • Aspiring video maker! ;)

1 hour ago, Quindor said:

If I understand correctly you have one COAX cable coming into your house, currently it's hooked up to your modem and you get internet.

If that is correct and you want to use the second COAX port to hook up to a TV or something, that should in theory work. But do be warned that this will create some signal degradation and could cause issues.

Does your cable provider not give you a coax splitter in the kit like shown in the attached picture? These can split the signal to what is needed for the modem, a tv and a radio. That would be the best solution. If not, the splitter you linked should in theory work.

CAI-UPC-Woonkamerspiltter-Tratec-MCP-03-15833677-500x500[1].jpg

You are 100% correct. I do have another COAX Cable into my house, but it's in our front room (next to phone line and television). Whereas the Router, is in the back room (conveniently my Bedroom is above it) - and the COAX destination is my bedroom :D. 

Nope, no Coax Splitter - although the Cable Provider has confirmed you can get them "A Splitter" they wouldn't confirm on what model / recommend me any. So, I was just looking for some re-assurance. Thanks for you help. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2016-08-27 at 11:16 PM, CallisterUK said:

You are 100% correct. I do have another COAX Cable into my house, but it's in our front room (next to phone line and television). Whereas the Router, is in the back room (conveniently my Bedroom is above it) - and the COAX destination is my bedroom :D. 

Nope, no Coax Splitter - although the Cable Provider has confirmed you can get them "A Splitter" they wouldn't confirm on what model / recommend me any. So, I was just looking for some re-assurance. Thanks for you help. 

Yep using a splitter is totally fine. A good one shouldn't have too much interference (None that you would notice).

Just make sure that your splitter is arranged like this:

cable splitter.png

You basically just want to make sure you're not connecting the splitter backwards, is all.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

An unpowered Coax Cable splitter should work fine for short distances, or if your cable signal is already strong coming into the building.

In our location, the signal is strong entering the house, but degrades quickly as our neighborhood is about 40 years old, so the wiring is old.

They put in a powered Coax Booster where the cable enters our home, so there's now enough signal db for me to use splitters where needed.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)