Been away from gaming for 2 years, need advice

Adam1984

Hey guys, just wanted to start by saying ive been away from the forum and gaming and the whole linus tech universe for a while, started watching the channel again and its absolutely amazing!

I havent had a PC for a couple of years now, sold most of it but still have my p8z 68 motherboard and my coolermaster case plus the drives and psu. 

We have a 4k tv and are possibly considering getting the new ps4 neo whenever it comes out but im still kind of weighing up my pc options.

Im not quite sure whether my current hardware is good enough to add to for 4k (like the pcie 2.0 slots for example might bottleneck a new card, just guessing), or if not whether to just get some 1080p budget components as I still have my monitor.

Anyway, the budget is fairly tight, not looking to spend more than £500 on whatever gaming option I choose.

So if you have any advice on what I should or could buy to game in 4k or if its even worth it, or if not what could I get to do 1080p gaming with that budget?

Thanks, Adam

Do you already have anything that can be reused like an old monitor or PSU, or are you expecting to get EVERYTHING for £500?

Because thats gonna be extremely hard. Honestly, £600-700 is more like the minimum if buying everything needed for a decent 1080p gaming PC.

Oh you still have a monitor, I'll see what I can come up with.

Linus is my fetish.

Thanks, all I need is gpu, ram, and cpu, still have a single fan watercooling loop that im "kinda" sure will cool any lga 1155 cpu

Well £500 is plenty for a GPU, CPU and ram. You could easily fit in a new motherboard too.

I went and did a full spec for about £500 minus a case:

DsM8IPe.png

But you should be able to get an I5, RX 480, and ram for <£500.

Dont think you can still but LGA 1155 CPUs.

Linus is my fetish.

Well, for £530 you can get an I5 6600k, and the same GPU, mobo and ram n my spec above.

Linus is my fetish.

Thats amazing! Im quite suprised by that, im assuming the rx 480 isnt up to the 4k task tho? Still I love 1080p gaming anyhow, thats promising! Maybe I could add another gpu in crossfire later on

Well, a Skylake would have cost me ~$800cdn to build my own, bare bones i3, 8GB DDR4, SSD and O/S.

To buy new a hundred more.

A refurbished unit is a used unit. So I bought a i5-4570 desktop with W7 Pro 64 bit, 500GB 7200rpm HDD, 4GB DDR3 1600MHz. I bought for $400cdn from BestBuy with free shipping.

A new Skylake 6th generation LGA-1151 is only 5-10% better then my 4th gen LGA-1150. So I can put the extra $400cdn I saved into other things. I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers, printer.

Not sure where you are from or what your prices are, but $1usd = $1.30cdn, so shave 30% off cdn to convert to usd. 1 euro = $1.45cdn, 1 pound = $1.70cdn.