Fans for my new build

Toxicknight79

Ill try to keep this simple (knowing me it'll be complicated so bare with me)

I'm getting a Corsair 750D airflow edition (or also known as 750 D with different front  bezel)  and I'm doing a Single 1080 hybrid  and a H115i in the roof of the case.

gonna try to keep the front fans unobstructed .

now I'm replacing all the stock fans  and weighing between SP or AF for the front and pretty much a given  I'm going Static pressure through the  radiators of the coolers, 

(2 -140mm  in front,  2 for the h115i in the roof of the case and  a push pull 120 setup for the hybrid

This pc will not be overclocked, I'm using a 6700K at its stock 4.0ghz clock speed, and keeping the card stock clocks, ram the same so on so I'm going for Very cool and quiet and reliable.

and btw, I'm actually avoiding LED lighting on the fans, because while LED lighting on fans look good and all while I'm doing gaming or whatever i am doing, I don't want bright LEDs  in my  vision all the time. 

The fans I'm considering  right now are either ....

The corsair maglev , The ratings show a higher cfm and are both  high air flow and high static pressure according to corsair , the blades look like Static pressure blades though.  and the levitation  or floating  bearing I guess  sounds very ideal to me, but I heard they all need pwm   to make sure the levitation works correctly   it kind of confused me,  but shouldn't be an issue ,,,, I really want more info about these fans like an in depth  review but haven't found any.

The Fractal Venturi's   that come in two versions  airflow and  static pressure, was thinking if i went with these , airflow for the front and sp for the rest. 

so i guess what I'm wanting to know  opinions suggestions are welcome, and  i would like to find a good video review or read review of the corsair maglevs, The price isnt the issue but if Im gonna pay for that premium,  I want to know if they are gonna do the job as expected.  

If you're not oc'ing and want a quiet system, just go with air cooling to avoid pump noise. 

You can also go cheaper on the cooler. Something like a Pure Rock would be very quiet and be plenty of cooling for your cpu and an aftermarket air cooled 1080 would be quieter than the hybrid. If you would like some fan recommendations, please tell us where you're shopping/located and your budget. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yea this is a case where I'd also recommend air cooling. Not because the pump is loud (news flash, a properly bled aios pump is like 21 dBa at 70% speed which is as fast as I'd recommend anyways) but because if you are that intent on reliability that you won't oc, you might as well just get a high end air cooler. (The H7 is a good budget choice and looks great at stock, while the d15s is pretty much the best out there at pricing similar to 240mm aios) .

That said, I would actually recommend all sp type fans given the restrictiveness of the 750d. Fractal hp14 are decent, as are amusingly the gp14 line (some show them being better at mid to low speed than the hp14), the Corsair ml series is unrivaled but does need pwm and is very expensive per fan.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

well 

6 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You can also go cheaper on the cooler. Something like a Pure Rock would be very quiet and be plenty of cooling for your cpu and an aftermarket air cooled 1080 would be quieter than the hybrid. If you would like some fan recommendations, please tell us where you're shopping/located and your budget. 

I am in the US , generally shop from Newegg  or amazon but tend to go for newegg because of Tax over head on amazon.

Im actually choosing quality over price, Though another thought on the air cooler is  less moving parts to break etc,  

but I have  been back and forth about air vs AIO.  I was concerned about ram clearance depending on the cooler , and I think  personal  viewpoint the liquid cooling looks cleaner.  but  Im thinking who knows and may change my mind and do some overclocking ,, not my fortay but there are guides so I want that overhead room for that in case.

5 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Yea this is a case where I'd also recommend air cooling. Not because the pump is loud (news flash, a properly bled aios pump is like 21 dBa at 70% speed which is as fast as I'd recommend anyways) but because if you are that intent on reliability that you won't oc, you might as well just get a high end air cooler. (The H7 is a good budget choice and looks great at stock, while the d15s is pretty much the best out there at pricing similar to 240mm aios) .

That said, I would actually recommend all sp type fans given the restrictiveness of the 750d. Fractal hp14 are decent, as are amusingly the gp14 line (some show them being better at mid to low speed than the hp14), the Corsair ml series is unrivaled but does need pwm and is very expensive per fan.

I have looked at the Noctua D15S  and swapping the fan out for say a more   pleasant looking  fan ,, that fan color is just awful  the fan quality has a top tier  reputation of course but I just cannot stand that color lol , I'm willing to pay for the premium of the fans  as long as they are  what their price suggest they should be ,,, 

The 750D was a rock paper scissors win between  three cases i had looked at and couldn't make my mind up about 

The other two being the 600C, and Phanteks enthoo pro

Though after looking at the thermaltake X31 it was a consideration as well,

3 minutes ago, Toxicknight79 said:

Snop

I definitely prefer the look of aios, but there are some decent looking air coolers, and yea you can replace the fans. I'd say the Corsair fans probably are way over the value curve but everything I've seen and heard about them is that they are just the best.

Do you really need a 5.25 Bay? Because I'd obviously recommend the Define S (or even r5) as being quite simply the quietest high performance cases on the market. And full towers suffer really bad hardware dwarfism imho. Also the Evolv atx and Mastercase Pro 5 are worth considering.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 minutes ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Do you really need a 5.25 Bay? Because I'd obviously recommend the Define S (or even r5) as being quite simply the quietest high performance cases on the market. And full towers suffer really bad hardware dwarfism imho. Also the Evolv atx and Mastercase Pro 5 are worth considering.

no not using the 5.25 inch bays ,,,,The dwarfism is a very good point of course  but have a heat dissipation  advantage i was considering.  but going   non overclocked Liquid cooling i suppose i wouldn't have much an issue with heat  though  plus i want a case that the front fans would be blowing air over the  card   unobstructed ,  so I may consider the mid tower instead of course ,,  I like the design of Fractal cases until you get to the modular vents on top I prefer the  magnetic  filter look over that.  the coolermaster  Pro 5  I also like  but I didn't seem as roomy to me as the thermaltake X31 ,,  and  the X31 (which  seems to be a R5 knock off I know ) has that magnetic filter on top , I also like the  power supply shroud but  this is kinda another topic for a different section of the forums lol 

On 8/24/2016 at 10:54 PM, Toxicknight79 said:

well 

I am in the US , generally shop from Newegg  or amazon but tend to go for newegg because of Tax over head on amazon.

Im actually choosing quality over price, Though another thought on the air cooler is  less moving parts to break etc,  

but I have  been back and forth about air vs AIO.  I was concerned about ram clearance depending on the cooler , and I think  personal  viewpoint the liquid cooling looks cleaner.  but  Im thinking who knows and may change my mind and do some overclocking ,, not my fortay but there are guides so I want that overhead room for that in case.

I have looked at the Noctua D15S  and swapping the fan out for say a more   pleasant looking  fan ,, that fan color is just awful  the fan quality has a top tier  reputation of course but I just cannot stand that color lol , I'm willing to pay for the premium of the fans  as long as they are  what their price suggest they should be ,,, 

Pure Rock: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/cwPzK8/be-quiet-cpu-cooler-bk009

PW2: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/4GsKHx/be-quiet-case-fan-bl047

There's no point getting such a powerful cooler like the NH-D15S if you're not oc'ing and a big reason for getting the cooler is for the excellent fan it comes with in the first place.  

On 8/24/2016 at 11:15 PM, Toxicknight79 said:

no not using the 5.25 inch bays ,,,,The dwarfism is a very good point of course  but have a heat dissipation  advantage i was considering.  but going   non overclocked Liquid cooling i suppose i wouldn't have much an issue with heat  though  plus i want a case that the front fans would be blowing air over the  card   unobstructed ,  so I may consider the mid tower instead of course 

Having a larger than necessary case doesn't aid in cooling but instead makes it harder to cycle the air in the case. The advantage of a bigger case comes in more fan mounting options. If you're not using more case fans in a larger case, you don't get any benefit for cooling. 

Unless you dig the look of a larger case, going with something smaller is usually better for airflow when using the same fans. 

Mentioned already, the Define S has great fan mounting options for its size and is the reason why I use it myself. I haven't found a case I particularly love yet so I'm using a Define S to fill it with fans I love--NF-S12A's and NF-A15's. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.