Coaxial cable / splitter help. [IMPORTANT]

CallisterUK

TV BOX = the box I'm not paying a monthly fee for.

Virgin Media Box = the box I pay £50 a month for, basic channels.

Currently we have a "TV BOX" downstairs, allowing us to get free Sports / Movies etc from our Virgin Media feed. Not going to say the box name as it may be against the rules. We have a coaxial-splitter downstairs, so we can plug a coaxial into this "TV BOX", and also our Virgin Media box (which we actually pay for).

I want another "TV BOX" upstairs, however there's no coaxial up here. So my 'potential solution', I have a coaxial into my Virgin Media router. I buy another coaxial-splitter, and in this splitter would be plugged directly into the router, and essentially be the coaxial for my Virgin Media internet, and also for this new "TV BOX". The coaxial for the "TV BOX" would run outside, up the wall, into my bedroom, which then I could have another "TV BOX" in my room.

Is this possible?

Would I need a special splitter? or simply just this: 

I also know that i'd need a 15-20metre coaxial. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-WAY-TV-AERIAL-ADAPTER-COAX-COAXIAL-SPLITTER-Y-ADAPTOR-ARIEL-DUAL-CONVERTER-/301806703236?hash=item464514d284:g:fvUAAOSwxN5WUzf8

Sorry for the over explaining, just not sure everyone would know my issue so I tried to explain as thoroughly as possible. Thanks!

1 hour ago, CallisterUK said:

-SNIP-

Using a splitter on the coax cable coming upstairs shouldn't be a problem, interesting though the UK uses friction fit coax connectors and not threaded ones.

Only other thing is make sure your cable your using is rated for RG-6 shielding.

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Using a splitter on the coax cable coming upstairs shouldn't be a problem, interesting though the UK uses friction fit coax connectors and not threaded ones.

Only other thing is make sure your cable your using is rated for RG-6 shielding.

Thanks for the reply. So it's definitely possible to insert a Splitter into the actual Router? this was my main worry to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, CallisterUK said:

Thanks for the reply. So it's definitely possible to insert a Splitter into the actual Router? this was my main worry to be honest. 

Well you would split the main connection coming up and have it so you have one cable to the router/modem and TV.

Edited by W-L

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Well you would split the main connection coming up and have it so you have one cable to the router and TV.

Yeah that's the intentions.

Splitter > Router > Splitter 1 = Internet, Splitter 2 = Outside and upstairs to TV.

20 minutes ago, W-L said:

Well you would split the main connection coming up and have it so you have one cable to the router/modem and TV.

Final question, this is what I'm planning to buy. Not sure if all of it is necessary, but I'm trying to be 100% sure.

Is this okay? anything you would / wouldn't recommend? 

plan.png

2 minutes ago, CallisterUK said:

Final question, this is what I'm planning to buy. Not sure if all of it is necessary, but I'm trying to be 100% sure.

Is this okay? anything you would / wouldn't recommend? 

-PIC-

What all the connectors? I would suggest to buy lengths of coax you require as RG-6 connectors require a crimper to properly attach them to cables. 

Just now, W-L said:

What all the connectors? I would suggest to buy lengths of coax you require as RG-6 connectors require a crimper to properly attach them to cables. 

I think the connectors are just incase the Coax doesn't come with them on or something? not 100% sure lol. But they're cheap and I may need for the future.

The top product as you probably know is just 3-way splitter (Even thought I only need 2). I'm hoping as you said, that'll be able to be connected into the Router.

I need between 15-30 metres of Coax, so I've opted to go with 25 metres, this should be enough. What do you mean by "Crimper", do you not think this Coax will come with it?

(I'm quite inexperienced with this as you can probably tell).

1 minute ago, CallisterUK said:

I think the connectors are just incase the Coax doesn't come with them on or something? not 100% sure lol. But they're cheap and I may need for the future.

The top product as you probably know is just 3-way splitter (Even thought I only need 2). I'm hoping as you said, that'll be able to be connected into the Router.

I need between 15-30 metres of Coax, so I've opted to go with 25 metres, this should be enough. What do you mean by "Crimper", do you not think this Coax will come with it?

(I'm quite inexperienced with this as you can probably tell).

Those are just the terminals to install them into the cable you need to properly strip them back but also use a crimper to attach them to the cable itself. That's why I was saying to get premade lengths that you need as the crimper tools.

You can get a small kit like this if you want to make your own cable lengths, as said before just make sure your getting RG-6 cable. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ESUMIC®-Compression-Connector-Stripper-connectors/dp/B015ZG1IHW/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1471294709&sr=8-6