Gateron or Kailh?

Mattsoup
Go to solution Solved by Mattsoup,
11 hours ago, spwath said:

Sorry about the messed up format, I've been having issues with the forum recently.  I ended up deciding to use up an old VISA gift card to give myself a bit more wiggle room and I'm going to pick up a Corsair Strafe w/ blue switches

I'm looking to buy my first mechanical keyboard.  I want to know two things.  Are Gateron or Kailh more reliable? And, taking that into consideration, which of these two keyboards would you pick?

Monoprice          Azio

The Azio is usually at least $10 more than it is right now and has more functions plus backlighting.  The Monoprice is cheaper and has Gateron switches, which I've heard may be better than Kaihl (?), but it has an awful enter key.

10000000000% Gateron.

Gateron is sometimes considered better than cherry (and I agree)

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

3 minutes ago, spwath said:

10000000000% Gateron.

Gateron is sometimes considered better than cherry (and I agree)

I don't know if I can get past that damn enter key though.  If I get the RGB version of the board which has a normal enter key it ends up being more expensive.

Just now, Mattsoup said:

I don't know if I can get past that damn enter key though.  If I get the RGB version of the board which has a normal enter key it ends up being more expensive.

Hmm, that is a problem. Iso enter keys are weird.

Thats up to you then.

The Gateron should be better, but if the layout is no good then...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Just now, spwath said:

Hmm, that is a problem. Iso enter keys are weird.

Thats up to you then.

The Gateron should be better, but if the layout is no good then...

I came here for answers dammit!

As spwath mentioned above, Gateron switches are among the best, and Kailh switches are among the worst. First off, the Monoprice keyboard that you linked can be purchased for 10USD cheaper from Monoprice's own website.

Secondly, I highly recommend spending a little more on a peripheral that you will (presumably) be using a lot. If you still want to stick to a lower budget, I would strongly recommend the Cooler Master Storm QuickFire TK (currently 68.00USD for MX Blues). Linus did an unboxing a while ago. Here is YouTube review by a Rhinofeed (somewhat of a keyboard enthusiast). And, here is a post on r/MechanicalKeyboards. Notable features of it include a unique layout (TKL size, but still has a number pad), backlighting, solid build, and Cherry MX switches.

However, I still strongly urge you to (if possible) spend a little more on something such as a keyboard, especially if you are mainly using a mech keyboard for typing (as opposed to gaming). Also, I suggest you get a TKL, unless you absolutely need the number pad for something like Excel.

tl;dr: Gaterons, Monoprice official website, CM QuickFire TK, spend more (if possible)

EDIT: formatting

PLEASE QUOTE ME WHEN YOU REPLY TO MY POSTS, thank you.

Keyboard is something you interact with alot while you're on your computer.

For me, peripherals are something I won't cheap out on.

It's all about the feel.

And for the question, definitely Gateron.

Avoid Kailh at all cost.

5 hours ago, kungpaogao said:

As spwath mentioned above, Gateron switches are among the best, and Kailh switches are among the worst. First off, the Monoprice keyboard that you linked can be purchased for 10USD cheaper from Monoprice's own website.

Secondly, I highly recommend spending a little more on a peripheral that you will (presumably) be using a lot. If you still want to stick to a lower budget, I would strongly recommend the Cooler Master Storm QuickFire TK (currently 68.00USD for MX Blues). Linus did an unboxing a while ago. Here is YouTube review by a Rhinofeed (somewhat of a keyboard enthusiast). And, here is a post on r/MechanicalKeyboards. Notable features of it include a unique layout (TKL size, but still has a number pad), backlighting, solid build, and Cherry MX switches.

However, I still strongly urge you to (if possible) spend a little more on something such as a keyboard, especially if you are mainly using a mech keyboard for typing (as opposed to gaming). Also, I suggest you get a TKL, unless you absolutely need the number pad for something like Excel.

tl;dr: Gaterons, Monoprice official website, CM QuickFire TK, spend more (if possible)

EDIT: formatting

The price on their site doesn't factor shipping, just an FYI.  I NEED a numpad for day to day use since I spend most of my time in excel when getting work done.  I don't care about RGB or anything, but I might be able to squeeze out $80 if there's something else you'd recommend. I've tried out switches in stores and I definitely prefer blue, but brown is a close second.  The main issue is that I'm a college student and I don't have much to blow on a keyboard, but I've been suffering some fatigue on my old dome keyboard. I do some light gaming too.

Edit: Didn't realize that the CMStorm Quickfire TK was that cheap. I read that as 86.00 the first time

11 hours ago, spwath said:

Sorry about the messed up format, I've been having issues with the forum recently.  I ended up deciding to use up an old VISA gift card to give myself a bit more wiggle room and I'm going to pick up a Corsair Strafe w/ blue switches

6 hours ago, Mattsoup said:

Gateron are better than Cherry MX too

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

1 hour ago, dtaflorida said:

Gateron are better than Cherry MX too

I'm going with something with a 5 year warranty though, so it doesn't matter.

7 minutes ago, Mattsoup said:

I'm going with something with a 5 year warranty though, so it doesn't matter.

Gateron is better in terms of feel, not durability (which is about the same).

Just now, spwath said:

Gateron is better in terms of feel, not durability (which is about the same).

I hath decided, ya'll are too late

1 minute ago, Mattsoup said:

I hath decided, ya'll are too late

Well cherry is great to, so you will be happy.

Just now, spwath said:

Well cherry is great to, so you will be happy.

It's not that I think Cherry is necessarily better, it's that boards wiih Gateron switches tend to be lower quality.

7 minutes ago, Mattsoup said:

It's not that I think Cherry is necessarily better, it's that boards wiih Gateron switches tend to be lower quality.

Usually that is true.