Case-Labs: Merlin SM8 or Mercury S8 (Which is the better Case)?

I currently have a S8S, Space is currently becoming an issue (Mainly GPU & Radiators are hitting one another (bending the fins).

What would be the best option Grab? Merlin SM8 or Mercury S8? Local store has both in stock currently.

*Side Note* I plan to sell my S8S(Not doing S8S to S8 Upgrade method).

Current Build: Project Frost
Gaming Rig Build: Project Ice Dragon

10 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

The SM8 appears to have more space and volume than the S8. It also has an expandable option (extra cost) that allows for another radiator on the top and bottom.

So, SM8, I'd say.

(Also, how much are you going to sell the S8S for?)

Have no idea yet, It will be a bit lower then retail price(I'm open to suggestions). Since their is a small scratch on the inside. It will be coming with allot of the addons.

25 minutes ago, Revan654 said:

I currently have a S8S, Space is currently becoming an issue (Mainly GPU & Radiators are hitting one another (bending the fins).

What would be the best option Grab? Merlin SM8 or Mercury S8? Local store has both in stock currently.

*Side Note* I plan to sell my S8S(Not doing S8S to S8 Upgrade method).

I have both the S8 and SM8 sitting in my office right now.  They are both great cases, but I like the S8 a lot more, especially when upgraded with the pedestal.  The SM8 wouldn't look right with a pedestal because it's so narrow.  The S8 is a lot more flexible in my opinion.

The S8 will hold 3 x 360mm radiators (2 up top and 1 on the side) and a 240mm along the front flex bays without the pedestal.  The SM8 can hold one 480mm up top and one 480mm at the bottom, but not at the same time if you plan to use a power supply as most people do. :D  You can also install a 360mm along the front, but you will loose all of your flex bays, but maybe one in the process of doing so.  

If you find yourself leaning towards a SM8, you should really consider the SMA8 as well as I think that's the better option of the two.

If you are hung up on the S8 though, depending on your location, I may be able to hook you up with a mint condition one for a good deal.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I have both the S8 and SM8 sitting in my office right now.  They are both great cases, but I like the S8 a lot more, especially when upgraded with the pedestal.  The SM8 wouldn't look right with a pedestal because it's so narrow.  The S8 is a lot more flexible in my opinion.

The S8 will hold 3 x 360mm radiators (2 up top and 1 on the side) and a 240mm along the front flex bays without the pedestal.  The SM8 can hold one 480mm up top and one 480mm at the bottom, but not at the same time if you plan to use a power supply as most people do. :D  You can also install a 360mm along the front, but you will loose all of your flex bays, but maybe one in the process of doing so.  

If you find yourself leaning towards a SM8, you should really consider the SMA8 as well as I think that's the better option of the two.

If you are hung up on the S8 though, depending on your location, I may be able to hook you up with a mint condition one for a good deal.

I'm trying to keep it small as possible but still have enough room to put everything I need in it. SMA8 is getting to big. S8S was a tight squeeze in certain places due to my motherboard was an EATX. I barely got res & Pump inside that case.

Just now, Revan654 said:

I'm trying to keep it small as possible but still have enough room to put everything I need in it. SMA8 is getting to big. S8S was a tight squeeze in certain places due to my motherboard was an EATX. I barely got res & Pump inside that case.

I remember seeing your post about that in another thread.  Both S8 and SM8 support EATX.  If you have the height clearance for a SM8, the S8 will work too.  The S8 is not as tall nor as deep as a SM8, but is wider.  There's more usable space in a S8.  

Once I move onto Skylake X, I plan to move my current x99 build to my SM8 and that setup will serve as a backup/light duty rig.  I won't have nearly as much stuff packed into it and the water cooling setup will be a lot simpler.

It just seems once you put radiators and HDD's in Space becomes limited in the S8 series. Merlin SM8 just seems to have more space to work with. Plus more room to place your Res & Pump.

Or maybe I'm use to seeing S8 build a certain way that gives you restrictions.