LAN Rig/YAPC (Yet Another PC)

r3d3mpt10n

This build, as with most builds, hasevolved. It was initially planned as a LAN Rig, or simply just a second system, but I have now decided to be honest with myself and acknowledge that it was just an excuse to build another system. 

The Build Started out as:

• Corsair H80i GT (the awful initial revision)
  • ASUS Z170M-PLUS
  • G.Skill Trident Z 16Gb (8Gbx2)
  • 320gb shitty notebook hard drive
  • 1Tb WD Green (that I had)
  • ASUS Strix GTX 970 (well this was bought  a month or so after the last batch)
  • Corsair CX550M
  • Bitfenix Prodigy M Windowed

Anyway, I ended up replacing the awful laptop hdd with a Samsung 850 evo 500gb (this will suffice for now, hoping for m.2 nvme drives to drop in price a bit).

Then the Corsair H80i GT packed up, so I replaced it with a Coolermaster Nepton 120XL.  I'm actually glad the Corsair Unit died because I hated it.  

After that, the 1080 launch gave me serious gas, so I preordered a Galax GTX 1080 HOF (which I will collect on Friday the 19th), along with the Phanteks Eclipse P400, and another set of the G.Skill RAM initially mentioned.The parts changed became part of the 3rd rig in my sig. Anyway, pictures are to follow soon. I'm really loving the Phanteks case, jumped on it the moment I saw it. I'm debating spraypainting the heatsinks on the mobo white, but I have mixed feelings about whether I should or should not do this. (I will likely get a 7700k or equivalent and 200 series motherboard at a later stage). The monitor for the build I'm still deciding on. I want g-sync and 2k, but I don't want to pay the earth haha.

Anyway, suggestions and comments based on the limited information I have provided would be appreciated.

I would like to replace the side panel with tempered glass at some point, just need to figure out how best to do it, as I see there is a lip on the inside of the side panel. I have a cheap Deepcool "RGB" light kit that I installed as well. 

I will post some pics of the current state of the machine, as well as my last build for comparison this weekend.

The current specs are now

• Coolermaster Nepton 120XL
  • ASUS Z170M-PLUS
  • G.Skill Trident Z 32Gb 3200 (8Gbx4)
  • Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb
  • 1Tb WD Green (that I had)
  • Galax GTX 1080 HOF
  • Corsair CX5500M
  • Phanteks Eclipse P400

This is the current state of the build. The PCI-E Power Chords are just waiting there for when I collect the HOF 1080

rsz_img_3163.jpg

rsz_img_3164.jpg

rsz_img_3165.jpg

rsz_img_3166.jpg

rsz_img_3167.jpg

rsz_img_3168.jpg

And now for a little comparison with my last build. Pardon the dust. Cleaned it shortly after taking the pics. I have 120mm fans mounted on the 140mm rad because one of the threads for the 140mm mount is stuffedand it was bugging me. 

rsz_img_3170.jpg

rsz_img_3171.jpg

rsz_img_3172.jpg

rsz_img_3173.jpg

rsz_img_3176.jpg

Any suggestions on the best way to mount tempered glass?  There's a small lip that the current side panel locks into.

Now that I think of it,  I don't think I'll paint the heatsinks on the motherboard.  I'll get either a MSI Krait (assuming their is one)  200 series motherboard, or if there's a new white sabertooth board then I'll get that.  The current board and cpu will be used in another project then 

Said hard drive has since been demoted.  Painfully slow.  Was from a shitty atom powered netbook haha

2 hours ago, r3d3mpt10n said:

Said hard drive has since been demoted.  Painfully slow.  Was from a shitty atom powered netbook haha

RIP

Collected the Galax GTX1080 HOF today. Will post pics soon.  First impressions are that it really is enormous,  the support bar is really solid and well thought out.  It's also quite pretty.  Just large,  very large,  even considering the powercolor triple slot card

Decided what the hell, going to paint the heatsinks on the mobo. Will be using while engine enamel. Will also be spraying the plastic pieces for the G.Skill ram (pieces not shown in the picture) white. Pics to come soon!

Im sorry but that motherboard brown is just... its just something else man. D:

[spoiler=Blue^3http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/388528-blue3/ I5 4690k | Asrock Z97 Pro4 mATX | RAM: Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Blue Edition and Corsair Vengeance (2x4GB) Black Edition | GPU: XFX DD R9 390x | PSU: Corsair AX760 | SSD: Samsung 840- 120GB | Hard Drives: 2x1TB WD Blue | Watercooling Kit: XSPC Raystorm 240 

20 minutes ago, ManOfGold93 said:

Im sorry but that motherboard brown is just... its just something else man. D:

I know right.  Why any company still does it I do not know 

The 7990 died :( so the 970 is now in the AMD rig,  debating what card to put in the  3rd rig,  i can give it back the 970 and put a 1060 in the amd rig,  or save some dough and just get a rx 470 4gb

This is the current build, yet again debating whether I will spray the heatsinks on the mobo white, since I want to move to a full size ATX board at some point

Quick and dirty spray job on the plastic pieces o the G.Skill RAM, will give them another coat when the weather permits. Also planning on getting a white 24pin extension

OK, so I was being a dumbass and forgot about the "insert into post button" xD

Even though the 1080 launch and all has been done to death, I thought you guys might appreciate some pics of the HOF 1080, as well as a comparison to another card, this is compared to the asus strix 970IMG_3185.JPGIMG_3186.JPGIMG_3187.JPGIMG_3188.JPGIMG_3189.JPG