Thoroughly clean heatsink?

tp95112

Is there a way to clean a heat sink completely and of course safely? Been thinking of cleaning out my hyper 212 cause its accumulated dust that cant be removed from compressed air or reached at. (I have no brushes) I was thinking of running water and leave it out to try but worried it would cause problems like rusting.

the heatsink itself is aluminium, so it would be corrosion not rust. the heatsink is already corroded since aluminium is highly reactive to oxygen, but you just dont see it (its the same color as normal aluminium). so long as you dont scrub the fins, and you make sure to dry off the copper base, it should be fine

Altair - Firestrike: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13945459

CPU:  i7-4790 @ 3.6 GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-DS3H-A RAM: 16GB @ 1600MHz CL11 GPU: XFX RX 470 RS Storage: ADATA SP550 240GB | WD Blue 1TB | Toshiba 2TB PSU: EVGA B2 750W Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Fans: Phanteks PH-F200SP (Front) | Phanteks PH-F140SP (Rear) | Noctua NF-A15 (Top)

Mouse: Logitech G502 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown | Audio: Sennheiser HD 558

Maybe use isopropyl alcohol? It wouldn't rust, but I don't know how well it would clean it...

Just now, DrM said:

the heatsink itself is aluminium, so it would be corrosion not rust. the heatsink is already corroded since aluminium is highly reactive to oxygen, but you just dont see it (its the same color as normal aluminium). so long as you dont scrub the fins, and you make sure to dry off the copper base, it should be fine

1 minute ago, TheGleaner said:

Maybe use isopropyl alcohol? It wouldn't rust, but I don't know how well it would clean it...

Alright then. Il rinse it over with alcohol. 

Running water through it is fine as long as you dry it well before reinstalling it. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.