VERY Low budget keyboard.

Mallowpuffs

So I've decided I want to get my first Mechanical Keyboard, but my budget is virtually non existent. My current keyboard is an old Logitech G15 someone gave me, but the space and shift keys are starting wearing out.

I was going to just get one of those $15 keyboards off of amazon, but I just noticed how cheap mechanical keyboards have gotten..

I'm currently looking at the Redragon K552, that's about where I'd like to keep my budget, no more really.

I know it's not a mechanical keyboard budget, but I've always wanted one and I'm just wondering if it's even worth it to get something like the K552.

Thanks!!!

1 hour ago, Mallowpuffs said:

So I've decided I want to get my first Mechanical Keyboard, but my budget is virtually non existent. My current keyboard is an old Logitech G15 someone gave me, but the space and shift keys are starting wearing out.

I was going to just get one of those $15 keyboards off of amazon, but I just noticed how cheap mechanical keyboards have gotten..

I'm currently looking at the Redragon K552, that's about where I'd like to keep my budget, no more really.

I know it's not a mechanical keyboard budget, but I've always wanted one and I'm just wondering if it's even worth it to get something like the K552.

Thanks!!!

I would just save up until you have enough for a good quality mech. keyboard.

Desktop: i5 4670k, Z97-K, 16GB, MSI GTX 770, Evga 850G2, TT T31

Freenas Server: i3 4170, X10-SLL-F-O, Crucial 16GB UDIMM, 4x4TB WD Red, Evga 550GS, Fractal 804

Peripheral: K60, HyperX Cloud

Mobile: Nexus 6P 

The reviews seem surprisingly solid for a budget mech keyboard. If you really don't have the budget for it, I say pull the trigger. To get into the "nice" range of mech keyboards you are looking at $100+ easily.

Saving up is out of the question. Between starting college and restoring my car, I won't have more than $50 to spend on a keyboard in the near future.

Yeah, this is so cheap it doesn't say what they are. That's my only concern.

I'd hate to get it and have switches failing after a month. But I'm fairly sure they'll last a while after looking at reviews.

• 2 weeks later...

I know Amazon's "lightning deals" are usually not that great, but if this keyboard goes down to 40 ish, would you recommend it or the K552?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Z8E535U/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

Comparably, the moda V2 isn't backlit, and doesn't "look as cool", but they do say they're Kailh keys(are they better than what would be in the K552)?.

Not sure if the Moda V2 would have superior build quality and be worth getting.

Thanks!

something else that might help your budget is forget about backlit that's purely aesthetic not useful at all really personally i saved up working with my dad this summer and i plan on getting a backlit keyboard only cause i'm still in high school and don't have any bills or anything that i need to pay and i have about a $200 budget so i would save if i were you or try to stress that you would love a backlit mech keyboard for your B-day or Christmas

i have a cooler master storm keyboard and mouse combo off newegg, its the red color and it comes in green and blue as well, its only about 32 dollarsUS with tax. but it feels good to touch, full sized with a few extra multimedia keys for volume, puase, play ff rw but its only a solid color. i found it to be  great price for the backlight option in keyboards and mice 

1 hour ago, Roberito said:

something else that might help your budget is forget about backlit that's purely aesthetic not useful at all really personally i saved up working with my dad this summer and i plan on getting a backlit keyboard only cause i'm still in high school and don't have any bills or anything that i need to pay and i have about a $200 budget so i would save if i were you or try to stress that you would love a backlit mech keyboard for your B-day or Christmas

I know, but actually if you have all the lights off the backlighting can be somewhat useful. But it is mostly aesthetics.

Again, if it were an option I'd love to save up and get something with cherries, but it's really not possible given the current circumstances. As for B-Day/Christmas, my birthday was 2 months ago and I don't want to wait until Christmas!! ;)

1 hour ago, stronk_p47thunderbolt said:

i have a cooler master storm keyboard and mouse combo off newegg, its the red color and it comes in green and blue as well, its only about 32 dollarsUS with tax. but it feels good to touch, full sized with a few extra multimedia keys for volume, puase, play ff rw but its only a solid color. i found it to be  great price for the backlight option in keyboards and mice 

That's what I have now, I switch between that and my G15. But I just really want a mech keyboard.

I just found this one also, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DBVH16U/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I think they're probably all about the same quality, just different manufacturers and somewhat different styles.

maybe you could try doing some type of side job to save up for it instead or since you are saving for a car and going through college maybe just get a jar and put in your cahnge or put aside $0.5-$1 a day and you will have enough pretty fast

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

20 hours ago, dtaflorida said:

Thanks!!! I wanted backlighting, but for $30.. I think I can live without. I just hope the code lasts until Saturday..

I was able to order that TOMOKO today. Thanks!

At $30, I couldn't pass it up.

Going to be here on Wednesday(6 days..) and that's with free prime 2 day shipping. Still better than it could be I guess. ;)

It got here a day early, I love it!!!!!!!!!!

It's amazing, the difference between rubber dome and mechanical!!!

It's smaller than I expected but I still love it!

Thanks guys!!!!