Wireless file hub on airplane

PalkiaRock484

So I'm going to China soon and I want to download some movies to watch on my iPad during the plane ride, but cause it's apple, storage is a problem. Right now I have my eyes on the RAVPower FileHub Plus, since it's a battery bank as well. So my question is, would a device generating it's own wifi network like that be allowed on a plane? Or, are there any cheap micro SD card readers for iOS that anyone can recommend cause I already have a battery bank (not 6000 maH granted) and I might not need it to be wireless. 

Grump Bumb

truth is they dont interfere at all, and there's a variety of theories why you have to ranging from "just in case" to "just so you listen to the safety briefing"

also, how big are your movies exactly? i mean, a 720p movie can get compressed down to a 1GB file just fine...

27 minutes ago, PalkiaRock484 said:

So I'm going to China soon and I want to download some movies to watch on my iPad during the plane ride, but cause it's apple, storage is a problem. Right now I have my eyes on the RAVPower FileHub Plus, since it's a battery bank as well. So my question is, would a device generating it's own wifi network like that be allowed on a plane? Or, are there any cheap micro SD card readers for iOS that anyone can recommend cause I already have a battery bank (not 6000 maH granted) and I might not need it to be wireless. 

The legal implications of bringing a wifi hotspot on an aircraft are grey to say the least. I would recommend the leef i access. it is probably the best sd car reader for phones out there it allows you to pretty much do everything you would do on a normal iphone storage device just through the leef app. 

http://www.leefco.com/iaccess

here are some reviews

http://www.macworld.com/article/3012465/phone-accessories/leef-iaccess-review-a-little-white-hook-full-of-infinite-ios-storage-possibilities.html

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/leef-iaccess-ios-microsd-reader

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

CPU: Intel i5 4670K 4.0GHz // Motherboard: MSI Gaming 3 Motherboard // RAM: 8GB Kingstone 1833MHz  // GPU: Saphire R9 390 Nitro // HDD: 500GB Toshiba // SSD: 120GB Sandisk // PSU: 550w 

Games: F1 2016, GTA 5, TrackMania Stadium, Assetto Corsa, Project Cars, COD Black ops 1. 

Huge fan of Formula 1. 

Twitter: RAFAndrew

The leef seems a bit pricey. Would a wireless media reader or a card reader be more optimal? I don't really have a preference.

Grump Bumb

Actually I'll probably just use a micro as card reader, since I don't have to worry about battery life. Is ther one that isn't as expensive as the leef but is still decent. Like the $20 range, maybe a little more.

Grump Bumb

It's very very very unlikely to interfere with modern planes because of how much technology has developed. Go back to when mobile phones started to become a thing. Planes were not ready for the signals received by the phones and in one rare situation an instrument did pickup a signal causing it to produce false information. Nowadays the likely hood of this happening is very low. 

I still don't recommend you use mobile or WiFi networks on a plane just to be safe if the worst was to happen. 

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• Intel Pentium N3700 CPU
  • 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • HP Compaq LA2206x Monitor
  • Logitech X530 5.1 Speakers
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

Main System Specs:

• Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

25 minutes ago, Warning said:

It's very very very unlikely to interfere with modern planes because of how much technology has developed. Go back to when mobile phones started to become a thing. Planes were not ready for the signals received by the phones and in one rare situation an instrument did pickup a signal causing it to produce false information. Nowadays the likely hood of this happening is very low. 

I still don't recommend you use mobile or WiFi networks on a plane just to be safe if the worst was to happen. 

I have been on several planes that have wifi..

that being said only at certain altitudes

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

2 minutes ago, thekeemo said:

I have been on several planes that have wifi..

that being said only at certain altitudes

Agree with you on that. I have been on planes with WiFi hotspots but like you said, there are a lot of restrictions such as altitude, time, takeoff/landing and cost. Like I said before, nowadays it really is very unlikely to cause such damage to a plane with mobile signals.

You just have to check with your cabin crew before using.

Main System Specs:

• Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2

Laptop Specs:

• 4GB Kingston RAM
  • Intel HD Graphics
  • Windows 10 Home

Peripherals:

• Microsoft Wired 600 KB
  • Dell 2003 Mouse
  • Roland RH-5 Headphones

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

The legal implications of bringing a wifi hotspot on an aircraft are grey to say the least. I would recommend the leef i access. it is probably the best sd car reader for phones out there it allows you to pretty much do everything you would do on a normal iphone storage device just through the leef app. 

http://www.leefco.com/iaccess

here are some reviews

http://www.macworld.com/article/3012465/phone-accessories/leef-iaccess-review-a-little-white-hook-full-of-infinite-ios-storage-possibilities.html

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/entry/leef-iaccess-ios-microsd-reader

The leef seems a bit pricey. Is there anything cheaper than the leef that's still decent, like $20 or maybe more. (I know I already posted this, I'm just bumping it)

Grump Bumb

39 minutes ago, Warning said:

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

truth is they dont interfere at all, and there's a variety of theories why you have to ranging from "just in case" to "just so you listen to the safety briefing"

also, how big are your movies exactly? i mean, a 720p movie can get compressed down to a 1GB file just fine...

It may not interfere but they can still kick you off the aircraft for using a personal wifi device on a flight. The Faa has strict rules and post 9/11 they dont put up with any protesting of the rules 

@thekeemo That wifi is integrated into the aircraft there is a difference between wifi built into an aircraft and wifi hotspots in the faa eyes.

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

4 minutes ago, PalkiaRock484 said:

The leef seems a bit pricey. Is there anything cheaper than the leef that's still decent, like $20 or maybe more. (I know I already posted this, I'm just bumping it)

im not sure i would search around to see and read some reviews of the products your looking at 

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

It may not interfere but they can still kick you off the aircraft for using a personal wifi device on a flight. The Faa has strict rules and post 9/11 they dont put up with any protesting of the rules 

@thekeemo That wifi is integrated into the aircraft there is a difference between wifi built into an aircraft and wifi hotspots in the faa eyes.

i think the issue has to do with laws being different in different places.

i know a guy with a laptop that is illegal in italy because their antenna power limits are lower.

its more so a "they cant guarantee the specific device wont nuke the sensors with interference, so they just put a full ban on everything".