Is overclocking RAM with no thermal sensors a bad idea?

I have some Ripjaws V 2x8Gb RAM and I think it would be neat to overclock it a bit to aid in my iGPU performance until I get a 1070. The problem is that this RAM doesn't show up in Speccy with temps, just says 16Gb RAM and nothing else. How hot do these sticks usually get if I for example boosted it from 2400 to 2666 or 3000? Should I just avoid doing this altogether?

If you need some specs just ask.

RAM is one of those things that does not generate any significant amount of heat to warrant those heat sinks they come with. To put in perspective, regular DDR4-2166 RAM consumes 2-3W per stick. Even if all of that were heat (which is not doing that), it wouldn't be very much.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

RAM is one of those things that does not generate any significant amount of heat to warrant those heat sinks they come with. To put in perspective, regular DDR4-2166 RAM consumes 2-3W per stick. Even if all of that were heat (which is not doing that), it wouldn't be very much.

So you don't think there'd be a problem with a modest OC on it then? I'd probably drop it back down after I got the GPU because it loses it's benefit at that point

Oh, I also don't know what "timings" are with RAM so I'll need to do some research >.>;

6 minutes ago, Gurrut said:

Oh, I also don't know what "timings" are with RAM so I'll need to do some research >.>;

It's basically trial and error anyway. OC your RAM, fiddle with the timings a bit, if it crashes change the timings and try again.

Thanks for the tips guys, always a helpful community <3

Overclocking anything without thermal sensors isn't bright

Nothing.