Asus Maximus VIII Formula Complete Lock-up Q-Code 02

My system keeps locking up completely, it doesn't record any events or blue-screen is just locks and they only way to recover is a hard reset. The only thing I have to go on so far is Q-Code 02 which appears to be either: 02 - AP initialization before microcode loading OR 02 - System is entering S2 sleep state according to the ASUS debug codes. I have read some people saying that this can be caused by either the power supply/lose connection on the 4/8pin 12v rail, or a faulty motherboard. 

Lock-ups seem sporadic but normally when the system is under a medium load on X-plane. I also have the power states set to S4+S5 to turn off the RGB LED's at night else the bedroom is like a club for lighting. (don't know if that's making a difference)

Similar post here but there was no answers:  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/536301-ap-initialization-before-microcode-loading/?_fromLogin=1#replyForm

I did have an Overclock on my 6700k but the stock voltage is 1.35v so to Overclock to 4.4 - 4.5GHz im having to put almost 1.5v through the chip !!not happening!!, looks like I have lost the lottery there. 

Any thoughts appreciate as I'm completely stuck with this now.

Spec: I7 6700k (Stock Speed), Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 32GB 2400mhz Corsair Vengance, EVGA 980ti Hybrid, Samsung 950 Pro NVME 256GB, OCZ ZT750W custom sleeved 4 years ago.

Update: Replaced the PSU with a Corsair RM750i 24 hours experienced another crash this time i had left the system idle for around an hour and came back to the lock-up, there is an extension on the CPU power cable which is yet to be changed and I'm waiting on a cable mods kit. and then I will do this. there was no error code this time on the motherboard either. 

I'm down to looking into NVME crashes/lock-ups and finally the possibility that I am going to have to RMA the motherboard, but I'm wondering if they will be able to find anything as the lock-ups seem completely random.

Any further thoughts would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

For future reference to anyone who may come across this post, after a month with the manufacturer they acknowledged that it was the motherboard at fault and i have since received and installed the new board in the system.

• 4 months later...
On 7/11/2016 at 2:16 PM, HugeCooljp said:

For future reference to anyone who may come across this post, after a month with the manufacturer they acknowledged that it was the motherboard at fault and i have since received and installed the new board in the system.

I have no idea how I didn't find this until now.  I too have been experiencing the exact same random lock-ups.  It's been about 90 days since my install.  I don't remember what the warranty period on this is, but would like to know what channels you too to work with Asus?  

I thought it was maybe a PCIe riser cable I have installed, maybe bad PSU custom cabling, but I tried regular GPU install and stock PSU cables and experienced the same thing.

I'm curious, as it's likely been a few months - is the new board working better?