new mechanical keyboard

Buuzze

Hey guys

I have never bought a mechanical keyboard so i was wondering what my options are combined with my conditions for a new keyboard:

I want a mechanical keyboard (any price range) that has a super typing experience (i type a lot) and isn't to loud when typing (to not annoy other people in the room)

I want to have orange RGB so it fits with my orange case.

I live in Belgium.

Thanks!

14 minutes ago, Buuzze said:

Hey guys

I have never bought a mechanical keyboard so i was wondering what my options are combined with my conditions for a new keyboard:

I want a mechanical keyboard (any price range) that has a super typing experience (i type a lot) and isn't to loud when typing (to not annoy other people in the room)

I live in Belgium.

Thanks!

Well i would suggest just going to a store that has some keyboards out on display and trying them out. To see which type of switch you prefer. Before that do some research on them though. This is a good place to start :)

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

21 minutes ago, Buuzze said:

Hey guys

I live in Belgium.

Thanks!

for a great typing experience i suggest blue switches. they are loud though. So you could buy browns. it is still some nice tactile feedback but more quiet.

Do you guys have Mediaworld/Mediamarkt in Belgium? Here in Italy they always have at least 2 Razer keyboards, but they're pricey, so I suggest you go there just to try them out. :P

2 minutes ago, JPotze said:

for a great typing experience i suggest blue switches. they are loud though. So you could buy browns. it is still some nice tactile feedback but more quiet.

Ye i was wondering if i could find a summary of all the switches with characteristics like the loudness/feedback/quality/etc. Any idea where to find that?

There are many videos on Youtube that deal with that. I suggest Tek Syndicate's one.

1 minute ago, Lehti said:

There are many videos on Youtube that deal with that. I suggest Tek Syndicate's one.

alright i'll check those :)

1 minute ago, Buuzze said:

this seems to be a nice summary :) thanks!

here is a vid that shows the sound of the most common ones.

16 minutes ago, ThunderFist209 said:

The Razer Black Widow keyboards are good.

I wouldn't personally trust Razer to save my life. Brother got their new Diamondback Chroma, which broke within two months of use. And a friend of mine recently had his Blackwidow die after not even a month.

When it comes to mechanical keyboards, then I'm personally bias towards Ducky keyboards.

4 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

I wouldn't personally trust Razer to save my life. Brother got their new Diamondback Chroma, which broke within two months of use. And a friend of mine recently had his Blackwidow die after not even a month.

When it comes to mechanical keyboards, then I'm personally bias towards Ducky keyboards.

yeah. The quality of the Razer stuff is really declining. And i would never buy a mech key from them. i have a DasKeyboard. German quality with lifetime repair service. it is build as a tank (but costs more then 250 usd)

Ducky is also a good brand.

5 minutes ago, JPotze said:

yeah. The quality of the Razer stuff is really declining. And i would never buy a mech key from them. i have a DasKeyboard. German quality with lifetime repair service. it is build as a tank (but costs more then 250 usd)

Ducky is also a good brand.

Ducky looks fine but i'm fan of having an arm rest :)

11 minutes ago, Buuzze said:

Ducky looks fine but i'm fan of having an arm rest :)

Not many keyboards come with the wrist rest out of the box. I can only really think of Corsair that does it (at least when it comes to RGB keyboards).

3 minutes ago, GlassBomb said:

Not many keyboards come with the wrist rest out of the box. I can only really think of Corsair that does it (at least when it comes to RGB keyboards).

I'm not saying it's a must but i'm used to it so i don't know if i could do without it :P

On 31 maggio 2016 at 11:06 AM, Buuzze said:

I'm not saying it's a must but i'm used to it so i don't know if i could do without it :P

I may sound like an outcast, but wouldn't learning how to touch type be a better idea than being stuck with the need for a keyboard with illuminated keys? Not to mention, it'll help you improve your typing speed.

On 1-6-2016 at 2:30 PM, Lehti said:

I may sound like an outcast, but wouldn't learning how to touch type be a better idea than being stuck with the need for a keyboard with illuminated keys? Not to mention, it'll help you improve your typing speed.

I would like to have orange/red illumination, other colors are out of the question :P I'm considering removing the arm rest of my needed list if it could improve my typing experience but what about the gaming side of the story? I'm a gamer fcourse :)

I have chosen Cherry MX red switches. Now to chose:

K70 Red  - 160 euro's

STRAFE - 120 euro's

STRAFE RGB Silent - 160 euro's

Any suggestions? l prefer silent fcourse but is there a big quality difference between STRAFE and K70? I plan on using the keyboard for a long time :)

On 3/6/2016 at 9:09 PM, Buuzze said:

I would like to have orange/red illumination, other colors are out of the question :P I'm considering removing the arm rest of my needed list if it could improve my typing experience but what about the gaming side of the story? I'm a gamer fcourse :)

They feel nice, but that's about it. They're not going to transform a bad gamer into a gaming god that's ready to take over the esports world by storm. Depending on the keyboards you're accustomed to, they may also make you slower at typing too.

Take for example this graph I generated from a couple tests I made:

wpm_average.png?w=643

On 6/4/2016 at 7:23 AM, Buuzze said:

I have chosen Cherry MX red switches. Now to chose:

K70 Red  - 160 euro's

STRAFE - 120 euro's

STRAFE RGB Silent - 160 euro's

Any suggestions? l prefer silent fcourse but is there a big quality difference between STRAFE and K70? I plan on using the keyboard for a long time :)

You said you type alot, then i personally would suggest brown switches, If you want a good typing feel, browns are better. I have 2 Cherry blues, 1 brown, 1 red, 1 speed. Of course blues feel the best but i can type faster with browns (120 wpm). I type 5~10 words slower with reds because they are so easy to mistype with but still type faster than blues. For gaming though, red switches are undisputed best. As for K70 vs Strafe, theres not that much of a difference in build quality, other than K70 is aluminium PCB mounted whereas, Strafe is plastic plate mounted so the K70 will feel slightly higher quality. Still, the Strafe feels very sturdy and high quality even though its plastic, the plastic feels very sturdy and i first thought it was metal when I first took it out of the box. Strafe has better RGB backlighting but has no dedicated media keys. If Strafe RGB and K70 RGB are the same price, then I would definitely get K70 over Strafe. I personally would get K70 RGB even if it was 10 Euro more, but thats because i love the look of the brushed aluminium and the dedicated media keys. Also to note, the K70 does get dirty very easily. Dirt, doritos dust, hair, anything will get stuck between those brushed aluminium lines.