building new pc

im getting together a new pc and i want your guys oppinion. My specs will be

-core i5 6600k

-gigabyte h11m-s2pv

-16 ddr4 memory

-palit vga gtx 970

-crosair psu 550w

id like to know if i can get away with a decent gaming quality for a couple of years before upgrading

also im new to this forum so. HELLO!!!

3 minutes ago, dams3 said:

this post belongs to the new builds and planning section.

whats your budget and location?

i wouldnt get an overclockable cpu with a non overclockable motherboard. the psu isnt the best quality and the 970 isnt a wise choice.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

6 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

this post belongs to the new builds and planning section.

whats your budget and location?

i wouldnt get an overclockable cpu with a non overclockable motherboard. the psu isnt the best quality and the 970 isnt a wise choice.

Budget about 900.. Its in euro but here everything is a bit more expensive so about the same in dollars. Can you suggest a few changes? Im new to this world so any advice is appreciated

3 minutes ago, dams3 said:

Budget about 900.. Its in euro but here everything is a bit more expensive so about the same in dollars. Can you suggest a few changes? Im new to this world so any advice is appreciated

this is what i would do with 900€ now:

https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-605267

but i would wait a little for the 1070 because the benchmarks look amazing. it will cost about 100€ more though.

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

5 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

this is what i would do with 900€ now:

https://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-605267

but i would wait a little for the 1070 because the benchmarks look amazing. it will cost about 100€ more though.

Ok thanks.. I have another question. How much time do you think that a i5 6500 will last me if i want to play new releases? Because games like wither 3 with heavy cpu usage really make me anxious about not being able to follow the market with that kind of cpu.. As you can see i dont know much :P haha

Edited by dams3

6 minutes ago, dams3 said:

Ok thanks.. I have another question. How much time do you think that a i5 6500 will last me if i want to play new releases? Because games like wither 3 with heavy cpu usage really make me anxious about not being able to follow the market with that kind of cpu.. As you can see i dont know much :P haha

you cant really say that but if you have to less horsepower in 3-5 years you can just get a used 6700 (non k) and sell your cpu.

but it should be fine for a while. if you want you can go with a cheap z170 board so you can get the 6700k in the future but you will need to buy that new because i wouldnt recommend to buy overclockable chips used. 

5 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

you cant really say that but if you have to less horsepower in 3-5 years you can just get a used 6700 (non k) and sell your cpu.

but it should be fine for a while. if you want you can go with a cheap z170 board so you can get the 6700k in the future but you will need to buy that new because i wouldnt recommend to buy overclockable chips used. 

So a final verdict would be.. Focus on the gpu for now and with this kind of setup i will be fine for 2-3 years right?

1 minute ago, dams3 said:

So a final verdict would be.. Focus on the gpu for now and with this kind of setup i will be fine for 2-3 years right?

you will probably be fine but with pc tech you never know. there could be a new technology (like vr) that hits the market 1 year after it first appeared and the renders half the gaming machines useless.

before you buy in you need to be aware that stuff moves fast. "future proofing" isnt really a thing.

11 minutes ago, ChrisCross said:

Ok dude thank you you were very helpful and dont worry if i thought about the future more than i already do id be a psychic. Also i know im not replying to your correct comment but im kinda lost in this forum