Corsair SP120 Fans voltage question

Chris_nz

Hi I mistakingly bought the Performance edition corsair fans for my H100, they are extremely loud without the low voltage adapter,

my question is, what voltage does this adapeter drop them too and if its possible can i make the voltage lower?

i have them plugged into the h100 because i notice if i have them plugged to my mobo the CPU temps tend to be higher even with the fans at 100% :S

Cheers

The included low noise adapter drops the voltage to 7V. According to the Corsair Website the SP120 fans operating voltage is 7V-12V.

I have a pair of SP120 in my case connected to the low noise adapters on my Dark Power Pro 10 power supply. At idle the fans are barely spinning and there is no ticking and the they are virtually in-audible. This would lead me to believe that they are capable of being dropped to 5V with a different low noise adapter.

Hope this helps in some way :)

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

are they connected to a cooler of some type, like mine are connected to my H100, i would think lowering them further would increase my cpu temps yeah.?

just the humming noise is a bother

Yup my Corsair SP120s make so much coil whine. Hook them to my MOBO, case fan controller and H100i. Coil whine from hell. very loud. H100i stock fans have very little coil whine. Don't know why Corsair fans make coil whine. Going to RMA them and try a set of Noctua NF-P12.

Parvum Systems S1.0, 3570K, H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB @ 1866, EVGA GTX 680 FTW+, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, WD Velociraptor 600GB HDD, Corsair AX850

i am think of putting them inside my case and have my radiator external, hoping this will reduce noise,, you guys agree?

Ya I bought two SP120mm for my cooler and I was very dissappointed how loud they are. Sure the resistors doesn't make the motor make weird noises but its still too loud. I dont know what to say because these fans are so bad at under volting so I dont know.

i am think of putting them inside my case and have my radiator external, hoping this will reduce noise,, you guys agree?
they are in push config, i cant put these fans in pull, well i cud but then it wud look ugly, they r the corsair SP120 fans

What case are you using that prevents a pull configuration?

Linus did a video on it a while ago:

Performance will be the same, but it's easier to clean.

But back to the point, noisy fans are noisy. I'd suggest some Air Penetrators or Gentle Typhoons. Sorry mate.

updated my firmware and coil whine is gone but the fans are still loud. they are in quiet mode and you can still hear them turning. also the Corsair 600T 230mm intake fans is loud. later on i'm going to try Noctua NF-F12 fans. can't now since I already use my budget.

Parvum Systems S1.0, 3570K, H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB @ 1866, EVGA GTX 680 FTW+, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, WD Velociraptor 600GB HDD, Corsair AX850