Astro MixAmp or Dedicated Sound Card

Hieu

I was wondering if the Astro mixamp would be equivalent to a dedicated sound card. I don't know if i should get the mixamp or an actual sound card like the Asus Xonar STX. Any input would be helpful.

the STX blows the Mixamp out the water. really depends on your uses. you can use the mixamp for consoles and pc. the STX is only used on the pc. you dont need external dac/amps for consoles. there are cheaper solutions.

Astro Mixamp

Pros

​ -can be used with anything with a optical output or aux

​ -use multiple inputs

​ -volume wheel

​ -easily to move around

Cons

​ -takes up space(no much)

​ -needs usb power

Dedicated Sound Card

Pros

​ -doesn't take up space

​ -have aux and optical outputs(if you get one with that in it)

​ -it's with in your computer.

Cons

​ -no volume wheel

​ -can't be easily moved

​ -just computer audio(not if you use this method HERE[/url=http://linustechtips.com/main/forum/computer-hardware/audio/100567-1-pair-of-headphones-2-audio-sources#post101701])

I have used every but this should help you lol i know i know, but this will help you make a better decision.

Thanks for the responses most likely going to get a dedicated sound card.

I was also wondering, is there a huge difference between the sound quality of the Asus Xonar DX and the Essence STX if I used the Astro A40s?

Is there a huge difference between the sound quality of the Asus Xonar DX and the Essence STX if I used the Astro A40s?

No, headphone amps will not improve your sound "quality", only drive bigger, more power hungry headphones to ear shattering volumes. Like the HD800, and DT880 600ohm version. If you have a BAD integrated sound card it may add NOISE to your signal, but that's a different problem entirely. Not to mention the 10ohm output impedance on the Essense STX will screw with the frequency response of any headphone/headset/earbuds you stick in it with an impedance under 80ohms.

If you, like me, listen to your headphones at low levels, you'll see very little benefit, save the noise reduction. And there's still plenty of noise in an Essence STX. Any of my fellow STX owners, try turning up the volume on medium or high gain with no music playing. You'll hear it. Dear lord, make sure you remember to turn it back down though!

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."