Rasperry pi for nas

I have around £100 so is the best budget  nas a a hard drive connected to a raspberry pi

if you wont have more than 2-3 users on it... why not :P.. it should work fine

3 minutes ago, Darel321 said:

if you wont have more than 2-3 users on it... why not :P.. it should work fine

You could also go to your local used computer shop if you have one and get a computer for the same price that has sata ports and more USB. You could run a similar os or something like freenas on it. Raspberry Pi is great, but not for everything.

Its automatic, just press this button!

Well the pi only has usb2.0 and 10/100 so it won't be very fast even outside the cpu. Several people actually do it for the small and low power factors for small amounts of data but don't expect much. You could pick up an old or damaged computer and probably get better performance and more storage options for the same price but with higher power needs but you could run freenas though. If you want to play or minimalist option then go with a pi but if you want practical use look for a pc.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

For about the same price difference you could buy an external that is network ready (wd mybook). The pi is going to cap out around 30-40mbps one way transfer.

The max transfer speed you will get from the Raspberry Pi 3 is 94.3Mbps (Raspberry Pi 2 will max at 94.1Mbps). This is about 11.4MBps so if you're network is only 10/100 then you're good but if you've got GigE ports then you're going to see the slowness.

For the same price as the Raspberry Pi 3 you can get an Orange Pi Plus that comes with a SATA II port and 1Gbps NIC (maxing out at 929Mbps) or for $10 more you can get a Banana Pi Pro with a SATA II port and 1Gbps NIC (maxing out at 779Mbps). I personally prefer the Orange Pi Plus over the Raspberry Pi 3 and Banana Pi Pro because the performance is so much better but the shipping from Asia takes forever and the case I got for it is pretty bad.

-KuJoe

On 16.05.2016 г. at 6:12 PM, TTTufayl said:

~snip~

Hey TTTufayl :)

Raspberry Pi is pretty good for a simple file-sharing NAS so you should be fine on the performance part. 
For a drive I could suggest checking out the WD PiDrive and the WD PiDrive Kit as these are specifically designed to work with the Raspberry Pi.

Another thing you could consider is an external enclosure with separate power for larger HDDs since the Pi alone can't really power them.

What capacity and usage are you looking for?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/