Any opinions on acer laptops?

"Menh" from my experience with them , not a huge fan of their laptops in general but their displays are usually superior to their competitors 

3 minutes ago, FirstArmada said:

"Menh" from my experience with them , not a huge fan of their laptops in general but their displays are usually superior to their competitors 

So, when should I expect a broken laptop from acer?

Edited by Hulkbert

18 minutes ago, Hulkbert said:

So I'm thinking of buying a laptop under $600 and I came across this acer. http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Acer-Aspire-V-13-V3-372T-Signature-Edition-Laptop/productID.334961500

I don't know how the build quality is with acer laptops. Is there anything I should know about acer laptops?

What will you be using this computer for?

a Acer laptop belongs in the trash, that is at least where most of them end up after a year.

Acer don't know how to build and cool a laptop.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

46 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

a Acer laptop belongs in the trash, that is at least where most of them end up after a year.

Acer don't know how to build and cool a laptop.

With the exception of the Predator line, yes. All Aspire and Nitro laptops belong in the trash

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Just now, don_svetlio said:

With the exception of the Predator line, yes. All Aspire and Nitro laptops belong in the trash

I am not that impressed by the Predator, maybe because Acer has had so god damn many years to make a decent laptop.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

1 minute ago, Dackzy said:

I am not that impressed by the Predator, maybe because Acer has had so god damn many years to make a decent laptop.

It's fine xD

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Acer doesn't make laptops, they make shitty overheating hazards in laptop chassis and sell them to unwitting customers.

They're not as bad as HP though. Acer makes shitty overheating hazards, but HP makes Garbage, Business-class Laptops, and Printers. Don't buy HP's garbage. If you're wondering what a business-class laptop is, you aren't buying one.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

10 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Acer doesn't make laptops, they make shitty overheating hazards in laptop chassis and sell them to unwitting customers.

They're not as bad as HP though. Acer makes shitty overheating hazards, but HP makes Garbage, Business-class Laptops, and Printers. Don't buy HP's garbage. If you're wondering what a business-class laptop is, you aren't buying one.

With the exception of ProBooks and EliteBooks (Maybe Spectre too?) HP is tosh, yes.

28 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

I like you now. You seem to be one of the few people on this forum that knows something about laptop.

4 hours ago, D2ultima said:

So, what should I get for $600?

2 hours ago, Hulkbert said:

So, what should I get for $600?

Id check Lenovo. They have decent machines. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

With the exception of ProBooks and EliteBooks (Maybe Spectre too?) HP is tosh, yes.

Elitebooks, Zbooks and I suppose Probooks are their business-class line, yes. With a large pricetag to accompany it, and support like mainstream doesn't even understand exists in the world.

10 hours ago, Dackzy said:

I like you now. You seem to be one of the few people on this forum that knows something about laptop.

I can't claim to know about lower end laptops like in OP's price range too much, but if it's midranged or higher I've soaked up a lot of knowledge. It's not the knowledge people most often want to hear, and I'm generally hated on this part of the forum as a result of being harsh and not letting people justify-away their purchases if I judge the machines harshly. Self-justification to avoid buyer's remorse doesn't get people anywhere, and people are too lenient about laptops in general. "Oh it's a laptop, they're not meant to do heavy work". "Oh it's a laptop, they run hot". "Oh it's a laptop, they're not meant to hold turbo". etc etc. All sorts of excuses people like to make. Excuses they won't make for desktop hardware, which costs LESS.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

49 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

Elitebooks, Zbooks and I suppose Probooks are their business-class line, yes. With a large pricetag to accompany it, and support like mainstream doesn't even understand exists in the world.

I can't claim to know about lower end laptops like in OP's price range too much, but if it's midranged or higher I've soaked up a lot of knowledge. It's not the knowledge people most often want to hear, and I'm generally hated on this part of the forum as a result of being harsh and not letting people justify-away their purchases if I judge the machines harshly. Self-justification to avoid buyer's remorse doesn't get people anywhere, and people are too lenient about laptops in general. "Oh it's a laptop, they're not meant to do heavy work". "Oh it's a laptop, they run hot". "Oh it's a laptop, they're not meant to hold turbo". etc etc. All sorts of excuses people like to make. Excuses they won't make for desktop hardware, which costs LESS.

Well you are not the only one that is kinda hated for telling the truth about laptop. I think they need to know the truth.

27 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Well you are not the only one that is kinda hated for telling the truth about laptop. I think they need to know the truth.

If I didn't feel they needed to know the truth, I wouldn't keep doing it.

They can keep hating me though. They can't prove me wrong, and they know it. All they do is throw insults around.

ESPECIALLY when I rag on anything Razer brings out (don't get me started on that awful company), or half the mainstream crap like those eGPU solutions that they're making where they want people to be able to hot plug it. People don't get that if it's hot-pluggable it's using Optimus/Enduro tech, which means you're going to lose functions in NCP and CCC for your games and screen etc, and the iGPU is going to be running the display, even if the eGPU is doing the number crunching. The same problems people have with Optimus machines where they lack functions they need or have the odd issue making a game work are the same issues that'll happen with those eGPUs, and by the time the GP100 and Vega cards come out, far less Volta and Navi in 2018 or so, a PCI/e 3.0 x4 connection is going to be saturated when those things run at their maximum. Hell, it has performance drops for a 980Ti today, far less something stronger.

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

If I didn't feel they needed to know the truth, I wouldn't keep doing it.

They can keep hating me though. They can't prove me wrong, and they know it. All they do is throw insults around.

ESPECIALLY when I rag on anything Razer brings out (don't get me started on that awful company), or half the mainstream crap like those eGPU solutions that they're making where they want people to be able to hot plug it. People don't get that if it's hot-pluggable it's using Optimus/Enduro tech, which means you're going to lose functions in NCP and CCC for your games and screen etc, and the iGPU is going to be running the display, even if the eGPU is doing the number crunching. The same problems people have with Optimus machines where they lack functions they need or have the odd issue making a game work are the same issues that'll happen with those eGPUs, and by the time the GP100 and Vega cards come out, far less Volta and Navi in 2018 or so, a PCI/e 3.0 x4 connection is going to be saturated when those things run at their maximum. Hell, it has performance drops for a 980Ti today, far less something stronger.

We don't hate you (people who know laptops sort of) - you are a fantastic source of unbiased information <3

I would say that you have more options for that price range. Mostly Acer laptops for some has a lot of issues especially the LCD screen and a lot of my repair percentage ACER is 69% than my other laptop repairs (not going to say some). It is not that I am Biased to what i said but ... A budget under $600? it's better to search for more and Try to check reviews online to gain ideas before buying
Mostly I don't recommend laptops that not suited by your taste but having Research will help you more 

Edited by normsofGTAwars
Typographicall Errors