Best Projector

My Dad's birthday is coming up and he has always wanted a projector to put in our barn for entertainment purposes. Although it is outside the inside of the barn is 99% leak proof. What is the best projector for the price and quality? Thanks in advance. 

1 hour ago, Tanner69046 said:

My Dad's birthday is coming up and he has always wanted a projector to put in our barn for entertainment purposes. Although it is outside the inside of the barn is 99% leak proof. What is the best projector for the price and quality? Thanks in advance. 

How much are you willing to pay and can you control the lighting in the barn? What screen are you using (type and size)?

1 hour ago, Stagea said:

How much are you willing to pay and can you control the lighting in the barn? What screen are you using (type and size)?

I was wondering where you've been. Haven't heard from you in a while. The op is in good hands now. 

2 hours ago, JohnT said:

I was wondering where you've been. Haven't heard from you in a while. The op is in good hands now. 

Hey man! Yeah, it's been a while. :) I've been out of circulation for half a year (was travelling in the Caribbean, Mexico and the US for work and leisure).

Good to know that you've taken the projector route. Your experience shopping for one would likely be valuable to the OP. :)

16 hours ago, Stagea said:

My budget is on the lower end and lighting wise it has about 5 100 watt bulbs that can be turned on and off. 

On 4/4/2016 at 10:17 PM, Stagea said:

Hey man! Yeah, it's been a while. :) I've been out of circulation for half a year (was travelling in the Caribbean, Mexico and the US for work and leisure).

Good to know that you've taken the projector route. Your experience shopping for one would likely be valuable to the OP. :)

Those are some really nice places to travel.

We tried out a projector for a couple of weeks, and my wife and I ultimately decided it wasn't right for our movie/living room. Maybe I didn't get a really good projector, but 1080p from 10 feet away doesn't look very good at 100-120" or bigger. We adjusted the size down and about 65-70" was our sweet spot. So yeah... no projector necessary for those sizes.

I think 4k is absolutely necessary in a small or medium sized room if sitting close to the screen. Sadly my wallet says "not now." 

The funny part of the story (relating to the OP)... we actually sold the projector to our friends who have a barn. It works great for them because the audience is sitting 20 feet or more from the screen. And when I say screen, I mean a white, stretched out bed sheet. That's how you do things in the country. Giddy up :P

On 4/5/2016 at 7:32 AM, JohnT said:

Those are some really nice places to travel.

We tried out a projector for a couple of weeks, and my wife and I ultimately decided it wasn't right for our movie/living room. Maybe I didn't get a really good projector, but 1080p from 10 feet away doesn't look very good at 100-120" or bigger. We adjusted the size down and about 65-70" was our sweet spot. So yeah... no projector necessary for those sizes.

I think 4k is absolutely necessary in a small or medium sized room if sitting close to the screen. Sadly my wallet says "not now." 

Thanks John!

Agree, a regular TV can fill a 70" diagonal easily and would work even in bright light. I actually got a 65" for my condo (where I sit 6-7 feet from the screen), and it's perfect for me. I'm letting my GPU do the scaling to the screen, and it's been great (the TV does most of the frame interpolation processing since my HDMI is limited to UHD@30Hz).

On 4/5/2016 at 7:32 AM, JohnT said:

The funny part of the story (relating to the OP)... we actually sold the projector to our friends who have a barn. It works great for them because the audience is sitting 20 feet or more from the screen. And when I say screen, I mean a white, stretched out bed sheet. That's how you do things in the country. Giddy up :P

Very cool. They can always upgrade the screen later on anyway. I hope ALR screens become much more affordable over time.

On 4/4/2016 at 1:15 PM, Tanner69046 said:

My budget is on the lower end and lighting wise it has about 5 100 watt bulbs that can be turned on and off. 

If you're looking at an entry level unit, the Optoma HD141x has been a long-time favorite of many. The Acer H6510BD is also a bright, sharp and well-received projector.