PCI WIFI adapter, USB port

I have a Gigabyte motherboard and it came with a pci wifi card. On it there is a USB port. I looked in the manual but couldn't finds anything talking about the pci card at all. So I was wonder what the use of the port is, and whether it needs to be attached to the motherboards USB port to work fully.

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Are you talking about those adapters that come with the internal connector on the card to the motherboards through usb 2.0? if thats the case you need to connect that to the motherboard for the card to fully function. Off the top of my head it might have something to do with how the motherboard interacts with the card. I have see other pci cards that work without needing that type of connector being needed.

Are you talking about those adapters that come with the internal connector on the card to the motherboards through usb 2.0? if thats the case you need to connect that to the motherboard for the card to fully function. Off the top of my head it might have something to do with how the motherboard interacts with the card. I have see other pci cards that work without needing that type of connector being needed.
Yea thats the one. I have been running it without for awhile now without any issue. I have connected it, and have yet to see any difference.

My PC:

Case: NZXT Phantom 420 | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H-WB WIFI | PSU: Corsair TX650M | CPU: Intel 3570k | CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 with Corsair SP120s in push pull | GPU: AMD 7970 GV-R797OC-3GD | RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance 4x4GB | SSD: Samsung 830 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB