Which Motherboard to Purchase

ray946

Hi Guys

I am looking at purchasing a motherboard there two models are MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX Motherboard or ASUS Z87-PRO Motherboard

The following parts (have purchase these items except graphic cards)

Intel Core i5 4670K will overclock

Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB SSD

Corsair Vengeance CML16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3

Corsair Carbide Air 540 High Airflow ATX Cube Case

Silverstone Strider 650W Gold ST65F-G

Graphic Card will wait for new release 9000 if too expensive will check out the GTX 770????

But I do like the MSI Radeon HD7970 Lightning Boost Edition, 3GB or HIS Radeon HD7970 3GB the his card is prices   $400 au    msi $550 au

The system will be used for movie download and little bit games and photo editing and will a have NAS system as well

Also the system will be custom water cooled loop

If you're not planning on sli, you can just get the cheapest z87 mobo you can find.

If you're worried about performance, all the z87 mobos perform the same in non-extreme scenarios.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I love my Asus VI Hero, it's just amazing and has an amazing light.

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/4927/8wm.jpg (That's inside my build btw)

My Gaming Rig;  Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Hero | CPU - Intel i5 4670k @4.5Ghz 1.25v | GPU - GIGABYTE GTX 980 @Stock | RAM -  16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866Mhz | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i | Storage #1 - Samsung 840 Basic 250GB SSD | Storage #2 - Sandisk II 480GB SSD | Storage #3 - 2TB 7200rpm 64mb HDDPSU - Corsair HX750 | Case - Fractal Design R4 |

If you're not planning on sli, you can just get the cheapest z87 mobo you can find.

If you're worried about performance, all the z87 mobos perform the same in non-extreme scenarios.

^ What @WoodenMarker said.  Basically, if you're looking for any particular features that a board may have (mSATA, Rear I/O, a particular NIC, etc), use that criteria to narrow your search.  If it doesn't matter too much to you, then go for whichever one you like the best.  Honestly, lots of people decide between their final choices of motherboard based mostly upon looks.  I didn't need any of the OC features on my GA-Z87X-OC, but I liked how it looked.  Just don't expect for giant leaps in performance as you go up in price in the Z87 chipset product lines unless you are into extreme OCing.

"The doctors X-rayed my head and found nothing."  - Dizzy Dean

i7-4770K, ASUS Z87 Gryphon, EVGA GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB Kingston Fury RAM, Crucial M500 240 GB, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Seasonic 760W PSU, Asus BD, Phanteks Evlolv mATX (Gunmetal).

You don't need such a good mobo. I'd say that Maximus VI Hero or MSI Z87 G45 will work just fine for you.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird