WD sharespace write/read speeds.

Good day everyone !

recently i decided to buy a nas.

At the used shop there was one. A western digital sharespace 2tb.

the sharespace look new so i wanted some information from it (how old the drive ar etc :P and how many driver was in it (4 drives))

the previous owner replaced the drives for WD green 1TB. (so for the people who can't do math it is now 4tb :D)

im really happy with it but there is something that bugs me....

the write speed is around 15 to 20mb a second and read 30 to 40.

the nas has gigabit support. no i know that gigabit isn't 1gb t write or read :P but with a factor 8 it is around 125mb a second which wil be over 10times as fast :o.

When checking out reviews for the WD green i see a lot of 100mb a second from one drive. and i got 4 of them in raid0.

So there is something wrong. but don't know what xD 

I turned off the firewall but that doesn't do anything still the same.

And i don't know what i can do to increase it. (not that much experience, also a reason that i bought one :P)

its all connected to a router (tp link wr1043nd v2) it a gigabit router, and connected with cat6 cables.

Im looking to replace the router with a switch. And a nice Access Point for the Wifi. 

So i like to hear from you :)

PS WD smart says the drives are in good condition. (dunno if i can trust it or not :P)

13 hours ago, cypress said:

-snip-

You are right in that the system is 1Gb/s or 125MBs (Usually it's 110ish). More drives do not matter. The bottleneck is the ethernet connection of the NAS. I know because on my own NAS, it pushes out 550MB/s but is crippled to 110MB/s due to the single Ethernet port. Looking to remedy it myself using 10Gb/s NICs, but money isn't quite there yet.

5 hours ago, scottyseng said:

You are right in that the system is 1Gb/s or 125MBs (Usually it's 110ish). More drives do not matter. The bottleneck is the ethernet connection of the NAS. I know because on my own NAS, it pushes out 550MB/s but is crippled to 110MB/s due to the single Ethernet port. Looking to remedy it myself using 10Gb/s NICs, but money isn't quite there yet.

If i manage to get 110mb a sec it will be fine, just because i know that is gigabit :o.

faster is nice but its more a luxe option :P

but im not sure if its the nas that keeping is down or something else :/

15 minutes ago, cypress said:

If i manage to get 110mb a sec it will be fine, just because i know that is gigabit :o.

faster is nice but its more a luxe option :P

but im not sure if its the nas that keeping is down or something else :/

Oh, I just reread your post...so there are WD Green drives in it right now? And you're running RAID0? That's usually a bad idea....Greens aren't really meant to be in a RAID array. There are no active downloads on the PC that is talking to the NAS right? (Any regular network traffic will slow down the NAS connection speed)

8 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Oh, I just reread your post...so there are WD Green drives in it right now? And you're running RAID0? That's usually a bad idea....Greens aren't really meant to be in a RAID array. There are no active downloads on the PC that is talking to the NAS right? (Any regular network traffic will slow down the NAS connection speed)

yes there are now indeed green drives in it.

At the moment in not using it every second :P just backup storage.

but it will be used for camera video storage :o

im staring to think its slowed down by the nas it self 

2 hours ago, cypress said:

yes there are now indeed green drives in it.

At the moment in not using it every second :P just backup storage.

but it will be used for camera video storage :o

im staring to think its slowed down by the nas it self 

Hmm, curious, have you tried pulling the drives out of the NAS and tested them to see what their SMART status is?

It might be the NAS...or it not liking the drives.

7 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, curious, have you tried pulling the drives out of the NAS and tested them to see what their SMART status is?

It might be the NAS...or it not liking the drives.

Mmm not checked the smart 1 for 1 but the Tool in de WD software says they are in good condition.

15 minutes ago, cypress said:

Mmm not checked the smart 1 for 1 but the Tool in de WD software says they are in good condition.

Hmm, yeah, I would guess it's the NAS then. I'm not too used to dealing with prebuilt NASes so I'm just tossing out suggestions. I'm not exactly sure why there's such a slowdown on the NAS.

@Captain_WD: Any ideas?

12 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Hmm, yeah, I would guess it's the NAS then. I'm not too used to dealing with prebuilt NASes so I'm just tossing out suggestions. I'm not exactly sure why there's such a slowdown on the NAS.

@Captain_WD: Any ideas?

now im starting to think to return it :P

but doens't a self build use more power ?

but i hope for a solution from here ^^ just becuase i like the size of it :P

4 minutes ago, cypress said:

now im starting to think to return it :P

but doens't a self build use more power ?

but i hope for a solution from here ^^ just becuase i like the size of it :P

Self builds might use more power, but it depends on components (If you use a weaker CPU, then it wouldn't use as much power). Self builds will not be quite as small and compact though (Still need to fit full size PSU, motherboard, etc).

Yeah, that forum member I tagged above is a WD representative, but replies on weekdays, but please wait it out for a few days. He would know what's up with it or point you in the right direction.

26 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Self builds might use more power, but it depends on components (If you use a weaker CPU, then it wouldn't use as much power). Self builds will not be quite as small and compact though (Still need to fit full size PSU, motherboard, etc).

Yeah, that forum member I tagged above is a WD representative, but replies on weekdays, but please wait it out for a few days. He would know what's up with it or point you in the right direction.

haha oke, then i wil wait :)

If its the nas i hope its a software thing not hardware :o software is still a change to get fix (but its a small change :P its till something xD)

On 4.03.2016 г. at 7:52 AM, cypress said:

~snip~

Hey cypress :) welcome to the community! 

WD ShareSpace is a quite old NAS model from Western Digital (I'm actually a bit surprised you managed to find a new one).

Sadly these are the regular speeds that the NAS can provide over the network. Here's a bit info on it:

Info on our website - you can find the user manual and some info in the product overview PDF along with some FAQs here.

PC Mag review

SmallNetBuilder review

The device is capable of faster internal speeds, but the externals are like the ones that you are getting. 

If you need more info feel free to ask :) I'd be happy to help out. 

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

40 minutes ago, Captain_WD said:

Hey cypress :) welcome to the community! 

WD ShareSpace is a quite old NAS model from Western Digital (I'm actually a bit surprised you managed to find a new one).

Sadly these are the regular speeds that the NAS can provide over the network. Here's a bit info on it:

Info on our website - you can find the user manual and some info in the product overview PDF along with some FAQs here.

PC Mag review

SmallNetBuilder review

The device is capable of faster internal speeds, but the externals are like the ones that you are getting. 

If you need more info feel free to ask :) I'd be happy to help out. 

Captain_WD.

MMMM oke,

Then i got a question :P,

What do you recommend to get is faster?

Return this one and get a another one? of replace something in my network,

At the moment im sure everything is gigabit capable.

now i must say im looking for an another switch (need more ports :P)

2 hours ago, cypress said:

~snip~

If you are looking for a good 4-bay NAS from WD I can suggest that you check out WD My Cloud EX4 and WD My Cloud EX4100 devices. Both offer great speeds and many useful features. It really depends on what are you looking for in a NAS (RAID options, features, speed, etc.). :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/