Reccomendations for RAID 1 software config.

I was thinking of getting a 2nd 1TB HDD and making a RAID 1 from 2 1TB HDD'S. I just have some questions:

1) Will it format my existing 1TB drive?

2) Will it inter fear with my SSD?

3) Is it even possible?

If I have to back my data up I have no where to back it up so yeah.

Also doing it because I am lazy and can't be bothered to back up my computer manually. xD

Thanks.

PC Specs:

Core I5 4690K CPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 windforce 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair 100R case
Seasonic 620W S12-II PSU
Kingston SSDNow 120GB SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard
8GB panram DDR3 1600 RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

1- Yes, but depends on the method, take a backup anyway

2- Nah

3 - If the drives are the same model and make, it should be fine.

Main Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

Core i7-4770, Cryorig M9i Cooler, ASUS B85M GAMER, 8GB HyperX Fury Red 2x4GB 1866MHz, KFA2 GTX 970 Infin8 Black Edition "4GB", 1TB Seagate SSHD, 256GB Crucial m4 SSD, 60GB Corsair SSD for Kerbal and game servers, Thermaltake Core V21 Case, EVGA SuperNOVA 650W G2.

Secondary PC:

Spoiler

i5-2500k OCed, Raijintek Themis, Intel Z77GA-70K, 8GB HyperX Genesis in grey, GTX 750 Ti, Gamemax Falcon case.

Just now, NinjaJc01 said:

1- Yes, but depends on the method, take a backup anyway

2- Nah

3 - If the drives are the same model and make, it should be fine.

I don't have enough space on my 1TB external HDD to back it up. (My backups are all over the place and not very recent)

PC Specs:

Core I5 4690K CPU
Gigabyte GTX 960 windforce 4GB GDDR5 GPU
Corsair 100R case
Seasonic 620W S12-II PSU
Kingston SSDNow 120GB SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Asrock H97 Pro4 motherboard
8GB panram DDR3 1600 RAM
Windows 10 home 64 bit

The only route you have is a software raid via Windows, as a hardware raid (say via a RAID controller in your board) will wipe your 1TB drive. 

Simply run Disk Manager (Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc), and convert the first drive (with the data on it) to a "dynamic disk". Do the same to the second drive. Right click on the first drive, and there should be an "Add Mirror" option available.

All this being said, I highly recommend making a backup of your stuff before doing this regardless--things can go wrong in the process like the system getting hung mid-raid creation or the like. I get your data may be scattered everywhere, but realistically if you're that serious about redundancy of your valued data, you should consider actually doing it right, but that's just my opinion.

"Rampage IV" - Gaming PC

Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced    EVGA GeForce GTX 980                            ASUS VE278H 27in LED Monitor x 3

ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition         G.Skill Trident X 16GB DDR3 2400Mhz     Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W

i7 4930k - Overclocked @ 4.5GHz     Samsung 850 SSD 250GB x2 RAID 0           Western Digital Blue 1TB

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset      Razer Naga 2012 MMO Gaming Mouse      Logitech G710+ Mechanical Keyboard

"EMCMS-ESXI" - Server

HPZ800 Workstation Chassis           Seagate 4TB NAS Drive x 4 RAID Z           48GB ECC Elpida DDR3 SDRAM

Xeon E5620 @ 2.66GHz x 2             PNY CS2211 240GB SSD                          HP 80 PLUS Silver APFC PSU - 1110W

LSI 9211-8i SAS in IT Mode

21 hours ago, Clubconsoles said:

I don't have enough space on my 1TB external HDD to back it up. (My backups are all over the place and not very recent)

Keep in mind, that RAID DOES NOT EQUAL Backup.

If you accidentally delete a file, it's gone. If you accidentally save a file with the wrong details inside, the old version is gone. If you get a virus infection, your "mirror" is infected too.

RAID1 mirrors protect against hardware failure. They protect files in the case one of your HDD dies. They do not protect those files in situations where the files themselves are damaged, erased, etc.

4 hours ago, Sevilla said:

The only route you have is a software raid via Windows, as a hardware raid (say via a RAID controller in your board) will wipe your 1TB drive. 

Simply run Disk Manager (Start>Run>diskmgmt.msc), and convert the first drive (with the data on it) to a "dynamic disk". Do the same to the second drive. Right click on the first drive, and there should be an "Add Mirror" option available.

All this being said, I highly recommend making a backup of your stuff before doing this regardless--things can go wrong in the process like the system getting hung mid-raid creation or the like. I get your data may be scattered everywhere, but realistically if you're that serious about redundancy of your valued data, you should consider actually doing it right, but that's just my opinion.

Good points - agreed on all counts.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)