Something kills GPUs in computer!

I think my motherboard is acting up... I will start with the short version, thereafter provide what I think is relevant information.

Short: Between 8-24 hours after installing a new GPU unit in the desktop computer, the GPU fails and testing it on other functioning computers proofs it to be failed\broken.

Long: My desktop computer is slightly older than 3 years as I'm writing this. For about a week ago I was playing a game (Counter Strike GO) when all four monitors connected to the GPU started flashing rapidly with random colours and the sound froze (looping with 1\2 second interval). After resetting the computer, 1 monitor was displaying what looked like 8 bit colours with hundred of horizontal lines flashing evenly spread out over the image. The resolution was arguably but probably 640x480. Shortly after I concluded that the GPU unit had failed. And testing it on my friend's desktop computer proved it to be true.
So I bought a new GPU at the cost of 933 US dollars (converted from Norwegian currency), and exactly the same happened after 10 hours of computer uptime. Testing it the same way as the previous - failed GPU. I strongly suspect the problem lies with the 2 other components in conjunction with the GPU - Either the PSU power supply unit, or the motherboard. This is somewhat profound, so I would like to know what others think before I disassemble the computer and start sending parts in for repair.

Specifics of the desktop computer:
Motherboard: ASUS RAMPAGE IV EXTREME Intel X79.
First GPU (failed): EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB Classified CUDA.
Second GPU (failed): EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB SC.
Power supply unit: CORSAIR AX 1200W 80 Plus Gold ATX 12V V2.31.
Setup: No overclocking of GPUs, and always 4 monitors connected to them (DP, DVI1, DVI2, HDMI).

I greatly appreciate help on this topic! Thanks in advance.

Well there's only one thing i can think of that's capable of killing components (other than the component itself). and that's the PSU. admittedly this is a good unit. but from what i gather voltage regulation get's less stable as the PSU's 80+ rating increases beyond Gold, as the PSU is struggling to keep within it's efficiency, while also keeping up with the power demand.

speaking of the unit...someone will probably correct me if i'm wrong but iirc the OEM of the AX series is Seasonic. and we had someone here a couple of months back whose Seasonic 1200W 80+ Platinum unit managed to melt one of the plastic connectors. maybe the 1200W version had worse than usual QC.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I had problems with GPU before due to PSU so I also point at PSU. Went from 1KW to 750W CPU and now it works fine again.

Your case sounds extreme to me, did it actually managed to break both cards completely? In my case it just didn't started or GPU worked like crap when it suppose to be really good.

4 hours ago, JebKerman said:

Well there's only one thing i can think of that's capable of killing components (other than the component itself). and that's the PSU. admittedly this is a good unit. but from what i gather voltage regulation get's less stable as the PSU's 80+ rating increases beyond Gold, as the PSU is struggling to keep within it's efficiency, while also keeping up with the power demand.

speaking of the unit...someone will probably correct me if i'm wrong but iirc the OEM of the AX series is Seasonic. and we had someone here a couple of months back whose Seasonic 1200W 80+ Platinum unit managed to melt one of the plastic connectors. maybe the 1200W version had worse than usual QC.

Thanks!! You don't think the motherboard can do this kind of damage?

I can recall a friend of mine also having trouble with a fairly expensive Corsair PSU (1200i). He had to replace the whole unit with a new one, rma case. No damage done on other components though.

1 hour ago, bigneo said:

I had problems with GPU before due to PSU so I also point at PSU. Went from 1KW to 750W CPU and now it works fine again.

Your case sounds extreme to me, did it actually managed to break both cards completely? In my case it just didn't started or GPU worked like crap when it suppose to be really good.

Thanks!! I am starting to believe it is the PSU too. Yes both GPUs are fried...

I tested both of them in another working computer, and the exact same broken image showed up. I was however able to boot into desktop and sort of navigate around - but in three colours, VGA resolution and noise artifacts all over the image it's not exactly a joyride.