How do I overclock my Fx 9590?

The titles says it all. I don't know what voltages and frequencies I need to put it at, well I do wish to overclock to 5ghz but how? Is there a program for it like there is for GPU overclocking or do I have to do it in BIOS/UEFI? If yes, then does anyone have preset values that you can share with me?

Specs:

GPU: R9 390x

CPU: Fx 9590

PSU: Enermax gold 730W

MOBO: Asus Formula Z

5 minutes ago, DavidGuba said:

The titles says it all. I don't know what voltages and frequencies I need to put it at, well I do wish to overclock to 5ghz but how? Is there a program for it like there is for GPU overclocking or do I have to do it in BIOS/UEFI? If yes, then does anyone have preset values that you can share with me?

Specs:

GPU: R9 390x

CPU: Fx 9590

PSU: Enermax gold 730W

MOBO: Asus Formula Z

Uhh well what cooler do you have mate? You need a pretty beefy cooler in order ot both Run and Overclock that 9590

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

inb4 you don't it'll burn your house down

You overclock in the BIOS, fam.

This vid is for OC'ing an FX 8350, but it'll give you a good idea how to do it on your chip. And i hope you have a beefy cooling solution.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

Here's a perfect guide for you by JayzTwoCents. This is how I learned to OC my FX-8320 when I had it. Jay also uses the same motherboard as you, so it'll be as easy as step-by-step following what he does.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

1 hour ago, Fulgrim said:

This vid is for OC'ing an FX 8350, but it'll give you a good idea how to do it on your chip.

Well, it SHOULD give him a pretty good idea, seeing as they're the same chip at different clock speeds. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I'll be blunt. The stock boost speed is 5GHz, most people are lucky to get them to 5.3GHz stable, and what's your cooler? As you need a really, really good cooler to overclock it.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

35 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I'll be blunt. The stock boost speed is 5GHz, most people are lucky to get them to 5.3GHz stable, and what's your cooler? As you need a really, really good cooler to overclock it.

Will the Nepton 240m be good? Thats what i have. I want to oc to 5ghz from 4.7

Wait, you want to oc from 4.7 to 5Ghz? But why? What kind of performance boost will you gain? Derp

1 hour ago, DavidGuba said:

Maybe. You need to make sure that the cooler you choose/have can handle at least 220W since the FX9590 consumes so much power (and runs so hot as a result).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

1 hour ago, Dabombinable said:

Maybe. You need to make sure that the cooler you choose/have can handle at least 220W since the FX9590 consumes so much power (and runs so hot as a result).

I'm pretty confident it can, its a great cooler.

2 hours ago, speedert1201 said:

Wait, you want to oc from 4.7 to 5Ghz? But why? What kind of performance boost will you gain? Derp

I mean can I go over 5? I know im a noob at this stuff. Because what does it mean when the website says 4.7ghz (5.0ghz turbo), i assume turbo is the amount you can overclock to?

1 hour ago, harrynowl said:

disable turbo core and set cpu ratio to 25x (up from 23.5)

90% of time it will work fine 

that'd be a good starting point

hehe got it, thanks. i watched the video but all help is good help

1 hour ago, DavidGuba said:

hehe got it, thanks. i watched the video but all help is good help

I test lots of cpus. I tend to be very lazy and not do the "up it 100mhz till it fails, then increase volts by 10mv and try again" I just go straight in at a slightly above average clock and work from there. saves about 60% of the testing required otherwise.

I feel like the architecture becomes a limiting factor before the core clock becomes an issue, for gaming anyways. 

I mean can I go over 5? I know im a noob at this stuff. Because what does it mean when the website says 4.7ghz (5.0ghz turbo), i assume turbo is the amount you can overclock to?

Turbo is , as far as I know, your clock speed during a heavy task. Basically your cpu overclocks itself to boost performance