Light based modem transmits data up to 100 times faster versus radio signals

Godlygamer23

NASA has developed a modem that can transmit data 10 to 100 times faster than radio signals using light. They are planning on testing this device on the ISS using project LCRD(Laser Communications Relay Demonstration) in 2020. Back in 2013, they had experimented with laser communications to and from lunar orbit with 622Mbps download and 20Mbps respectively. This was during the project LADEE(Lunar Atmosphere and Dust Environment Explorer). The LCRD project is supposed to be part of an ongoing operational system once the first tests - due to begin in 2019 - are finished. It will also demonstrate the feasibility of laser communications through this new type of modem.

The device has been dubbed ILLUMA(Integrated LCRD LEO User Modem and Amplifier. It'll be the size of a mobile phone and will be several times smaller than fiber-optic receivers that are used in spacecraft right now.

Don Cornwell, who is the director of NASA's Advanced Communication and Navigation Division said this:

Integrated photonics are like an integrated circuit, except they use light than than electrons to perform a wide variety of optical functions. This technology will enable all types of NASA missions, not just optical communications on LCRD.

While the technology isn't new, and it's apparently difficult to get them to work without creating speed bottlenecks with other components. If NASA can get this to work, we could be getting faster and smaller instruments. Additionally, they can also be mass-printed lithographically, so they're cheap to produce.

The leak ILLUMA developer Mike Krainak from NASA's Goddard Space Flight Centre said this:

We've pushed this for a long time. The technology will simplify optical system design It will reduce the size and power consumption of optical devices, and improve reliability, all while enabling new functions from a lower cost system.

This new device doesn't just have benefits in communications with satellites and ground stations. It'll also benefit medical imaging and manufacturing, as well as data centres used by ISPs.

Mike Krainak also had stated this:

It is clear that our strategy to leverage integrated photonic circuitry will lead to a revolution in Earth and planetary-space communications as well as in science instruments. What we want to do is provide a faster exchange of data to the scientific community... Google, Facebook, they're all starting to look at this technology. As integrated photonics progresses to be more cost-effective than fibre optics, it will be used. Everything is headed this way.

Source: http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-s-new-photonics-modem-will-help-lasers-carry-data-at-up-to-100-times-faster-than-today-s-radio-signals

Edited by Godlygamer23
Some typo fixes.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Is this related to Li-Fi? I can see this working great point to point, with large transmitters, but on consumer level, I see it as being too problematic. The reason Wifi works at all is because the FCC restricts the frequencies that wifi use to only be used by wifi. If Li-fi is intergrated into lighting fixtures, how would the system deal with random interference from LCD, LED, IR, etc that would coming from everywhere. I see it involving into a niche technology, kind of like a mix between Bluetooth and powerline in practice. The only way it will get big is if the FCC or some other corporation steps in and standardize and compartmentalize the technology. 

Can you quote your source or data? Doesn't light's particle effects come into play when comparing it to RF? Most of the data I see talks about sunlight not being a problem, but sunlight is rarly a issue. I used to troubleshoot TV issues and I saw light interference with IR technology all the time. Certian kinds of lights, light bouncing off certain windows, active sensors on some LED TVs, etc. If that type of interference is prone with something as simple as IR, wouldn't it be more problematic with the complexity of LiFi? Also, what about compatibility with multiple LiFi APs? 

Also, what about security and the lack of wall penetration? I still think large scale, they already have working prototypes so that is not debatable, but I think the technology will have to evolve quick once it hits the consumer market. I just don't see it taking over Wifi any time soon.

If interference won't be an issue than great, but it will take time to replace radio signals.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |