Best price for a dying HDD?

Fortress
Go to solution Solved by Fortress,

Well, I've spoke to the seller and he sold it for a very, very cheap price of $1, but I'm probably not gonna use it for backup purposes. I have ordered a 1TB drive for $43 from Amazon and it should arrive within a week. Thanks for the help guys!

I'm currently on the look for a cheap HDD to serve as a backup for my current system. I found a seller who is currently selling his 500GB Hitachi drive with no exact price. I managed to contact the aforementioned seller and I asked him what he meant with "no exact price", to which he replied that the buyer can price the hard drive according to its performance and value. So I went to see him and we tested the HDD, installed a copy of Hard Disk Sentinel and the first thing that I saw was the hard drive health, which was at 18%. 

Since I only need the drive for deep backup purposes, and since the drive won't be active since after the backup process, it's going to be stored in a plastic hard drive case (I've attached a photo), I decided to take the drive. But now the question that I am asking myself, "What is the best price for a hard drive in this state?" I would appreciate if you would help me!

post-82117-0-53223200-1454072085.png

post-82117-0-54537500-1454072116_thumb.j

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)

wait, so you're looking for a probably broken, or certainly worn out HDD to do BACKUPS with? (sounds kinda backwards to me, usually the last thing you want is a backup becoming irretrievable)

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Please for the love of god, don't buy a used HDD. They are dirt cheap anyways.

11736 problems communicating to the disk, a warning that says backup all data to prevent loss, and you are backing things up to it? It's not a matter of if the drive is running 24/7 or sitting in dry storage. You run a very high risk of data corruption just during the back up process.

Well, I've spoke to the seller and he sold it for a very, very cheap price of $1, but I'm probably not gonna use it for backup purposes. I have ordered a 1TB drive for $43 from Amazon and it should arrive within a week. Thanks for the help guys!

Has a Ph.D in Nothing and does not speak Chinese, Italian or French. (aber ich kann Deutsch sprechen)