Black screen when playing games Win10. CPU and GPU aren't overheating

thorpj
Go to solution Solved by thorpj,

You could try this as well ACPI Function - disable in bios for troubleshooting reason

http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/articles/article.aspx?p=2024310&seqNum=21

This a good article on the subject. Acpi driver would say lets kick back voltage and cpu when not in use when needed such as gaming it kicks it into full gear. With it disabled your running at cpu settings not power saving settings. Might help a bit. I got to run let me know what you find out.

Hi i've narrowed it down to the PSU. I'm going to test it in another PC, and i'll probably get it replaced under warranty.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Replaced PSU with a Corsair RM750X and my PC is working perfectly.

thanks

Hi

When playing games, my PC has been black screening, ie the PC shuts down and restarts.

What's strange, is that this only happens with certain games. Currently that list includes World of Tanks, Batman Arkham Origins, Xcom Enemy Within, World of Warships and Armoured Warfare. Assassins Creed syndicate (which is a very demanding game), RUSE, World in Conflict and CSGO (which are not demanding) don't crash.

Looking in the event log led me to this "The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device ACPI\PNP0A0A\2&daba3ff&1.". I managed to uninstall this driver by disabling windows update, since i thought it was the cause of the problem, but the crashes persist. 

The max temp on the CPU cores is 70*C. The gpu, 75-80*C. So overheating of those components is not the problem. I've noticed that Open Hardware Monitor reports that motherboard temperature #3 and #6 reach rather high temperatures. This could be the problem, depending on what those sensors indicate the temp of, or whether they're misreporting. Mobo sensors are like that. Unless someone thinks otherwise, i'm going to stick with the theory that these temps aren't the problem.

bvdm9OU.png

I'm thinking it's a hardware problem with the GPU or PSU. I've had problems with this PC black screening in the past (that error in the event log wasn't there previously) but i had the PSU replaced (it's a thermaltake smartpower 750w as seen in my sig. Not the best PSU, but not extremely dodgy either) and my PC has worked great for many months. Only in the last two weeks or so have i had this black screen problem.

So how would i check if it's the GPU or PSU playing up. Or is it not a hardware problem at all, since AC syndicate runs fine.

thanks in advance. This problem has been driving my crazy, and i'd really like to get it fixed.

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

If it is a psu problem try checking voltage outputs. Higher voltage could cause higher temps and those built in trips on the MB could be kicking in. Just wondering what psu, mem, gpu, are you using? Asking because i see alot of builds that have lets say a gtx 960 but a 350w power supply. The card alone requires 400w as a min requirement. If you are overworking a underpowered psu it may work great but start having issues as it wears out faster. Driver issue could be related to upgrades in power usage settings which could also cause the needle that broke the camals back. You can try underclocking as well to draw less power to troubleshot issue. Monitor power usage all that good stuff. Hopefully your motherboard lets you do that. I am sure you tried this but blow out all the dust too there may be a fan going bad or heatsink plugged up. Psu and heat related it seems. Depending on what you are running it seems those voltages are a bit low but im not sure. http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator

I assume ddr4 but says 763w min. May be a bit higher with ddr3. In general you would want to run at .8 full power load rating for longetivety. Min requirement is 763. I run 850w to keep it closer to .8 vs 1.0 loaded rate. Hope this helps.

If it is a psu problem try checking voltage outputs. Higher voltage could cause higher temps and those built in trips on the MB could be kicking in. Just wondering what psu, mem, gpu, are you using? Asking because i see alot of builds that have lets say a gtx 960 but a 350w power supply. The card alone requires 400w as a min requirement. If you are overworking a underpowered psu it may work great but start having issues as it wears out faster. Driver issue could be related to upgrades in power usage settings which could also cause the needle that broke the camals back. You can try underclocking as well to draw less power to troubleshot issue. Monitor power usage all that good stuff. Hopefully your motherboard lets you do that. I am sure you tried this but blow out all the dust too there may be a fan going bad or heatsink plugged up. Psu and heat related it seems. Depending on what you are running it seems those voltages are a bit low but im not sure.

Hi

My specs are in my sig. I've tried reinstalling Windows, and the GPU driver, to no avail.

As i've said, neither CPU nor GPU are overheating

Please have a look here for some more info: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2927328/black-screen-playing-games-win10-cpu-gpu-overheating.html

I probably shouldn't have posted on two forums, but the LTT troubleshooting subforum isn't always the quickest to respond :)

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

Not sure have two sensors showing 122 thermocoupling fail two ways a short causes highest reading and open causes a static reading wherever the opening is. Normally also an open will not move around. So it might be telling thruth of 122c which is fairly high. Any idea what those temps are tied too? 122c would be hot to touch thermo cam would be would be handy know anyone in the fire department. Im a bit new here but been working and building for 20years. Troubleshooting is finding something that fits. I wonder if you can rollback your driver. Sorry on phone typing reading. Seems fire fox blocked some of your post.

Not sure have two sensors showing 122 thermocoupling fail two ways a short causes highest reading and open causes a static reading wherever the opening is. Normally also an open will not move around. So it might be telling thruth of 122c which is fairly high. Any idea what those temps are tied too?

I don't know what it's sensing, sorry.

Try using asus motherboard monitor software should have came with your mb. It should tell you. If your dont have the software try asus website under support and downloads for your mb. Ps if you want to feel around for a hot spot turn have power unplug, wait for a min use the back side of your hand to feel for hot spots you should not need to touch anything i have pumps here at work 110c and you feel the heat.

You could try this as well ACPI Function - disable in bios for troubleshooting reason

This a good article on the subject. Acpi driver would say lets kick back voltage and cpu when not in use when needed such as gaming it kicks it into full gear. With it disabled your running at cpu settings not power saving settings. Might help a bit. I got to run let me know what you find out.

Hi i've narrowed it down to the PSU. I'm going to test it in another PC, and i'll probably get it replaced under warranty.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Replaced PSU with a Corsair RM750X and my PC is working perfectly.

thanks