Good Air cooler for mild OC'ing of i7-4790K

bking

I've backed off on the idea of using a Corsair AIO for this new rig, as it is starting to seem like overkill for my needs.  At MOST, I might OC my setup by 10%, but my thought is that I'll take stability and longevity over a few percentage points any day.  So, I've switched gears to looking at aftermarket air coolers, but TBH I'm more than a little afraid of hanging a huge cooler on a vertically mounted MB.  I'm looking for recommendations of a rock solid, mid-range cooler that's not too heavy but can provide a good mix of low noise and good cooling. Looked at the 212 Evo, but it seems a bit cheap to me, as I;ve seen some reports of inconsistent quality.

Not looking to spend a ton on a cooler, but anywhere south of $100 for the right cooler is fine.

I've backed off on the idea of using a Corsair AIO for this new rig, as it is starting to seem like overkill for my needs.  At MOST, I might OC my setup by 10%, but my thought is that I'll take stability and logevity over a few percentage points any day.  So, I've switched gears to looking at aftermarket air coolers, but TBH I'm more than a little afraid of hanging a huge cooler on a vertically mounted MB.  I'm looking for recommendations of a rock solid, mid-range cooler that's not too heavy but can provide a good mix of low noise and good cooling. Looked at the 212 Evo, but it seems a bit cheap to me, as I;ve seen some reports of inconsistent quality.

Not looking to spend a ton on a cooler, but anywhere south of $100 for the right cooler is fine.

NH D15 from noctua in push/pull

Best air cooler on the market and cost about 80$ .

Also very quiet.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I've had no troubles with the 212 evo, but I've had little experience with other coolers so I can't really recommend anything else

My Build: i7-4790K, 212 Evo, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600, Intel 730 240GB SSD, WD Blue 1TB, EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX 2.0, NZXT H440 Blue/Black, EVGA 650W 80+Gold.

Most of the time, it's not the computer, it's the person using it.

212 for a mild clock, you could put your balls on it and overclock it mildly.

I've backed off on the idea of using a Corsair AIO for this new rig, as it is starting to seem like overkill for my needs.  At MOST, I might OC my setup by 10%, but my thought is that I'll take stability and logevity over a few percentage points any day.  So, I've switched gears to looking at aftermarket air coolers, but TBH I'm more than a little afraid of hanging a huge cooler on a vertically mounted MB.  I'm looking for recommendations of a rock solid, mid-range cooler that's not too heavy but can provide a good mix of low noise and good cooling. Looked at the 212 Evo, but it seems a bit cheap to me, as I;ve seen some reports of inconsistent quality.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

212 evo is basically the best air cooler not a lot of money can buy.... get it, you wont be dissapointed

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

i got 4.5 (also 4.6 but that is 80C) Ghz out of my i7-4790k with a hyper 212 evo :)

but i'm not running it 24/7 since i dont need it to run that and it's louder..

Also very quiet.

3 pounds scares me a bit. Is that really any cause for concern for a solid MB like the Z97-Deluxe?

3 pounds scares me a bit. Is that really any cause for concern for a solid MB like the Z97-Deluxe?

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't screw it in too tight .

No one would recommend it if it broke motherboards.

If you really are concerned you could get something made to prevent components sagging

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

It shouldn't be a problem as long as you don't screw it in too tight .

No one would recommend it if it broke motherboards.

If you really are concerned you could get something made to prevent components sagging

Yeah, my concerns are largely a matter of inexperience with large coolers and not based on any real data or experience.   Thanks for the reassurance.

Also very quiet.

Got one of these not to long ago and it's absolutely excellent. Best CPU cooler there is. Getting temps better than my 240mm AIO and it's way quieter

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Hmm, just ran across the following while checking MB and memory compatibiity at Noctua site.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-cpu-cooler-nhu12s

A little cheaper than the NH D14, and pretty much matches it on the 2-3 tests I looked at.  Narrower so that it doesn't have ANY memory heatsink concerns.

Anyone familiar with it?

The stock cooler can handle turbo type speeds (4.4 GHz.)  That being the case, practically any decent aftermarket cooler should be able to manage upwards of 4.6 GHz without major thermal issues.

The stock cooler can handle turbo type speeds (4.4 GHz.)  That being the case, practically any decent aftermarket cooler should be able to manage upwards of 4.6 GHz without major thermal issues.

Your're probably right, but I haven't had the balls to use a stock cooler since my first Celeron build. 

Final verdict - bought a NH-U12S . Fantastic noise/cooling numbers from all the reviews I read, yet no memory heatsink issues.  Also, much easier to swap out the included fan, or add another one if the colors end up driving me nuts.