Which side should my CPU fan be on?

Stevenw43210

Hello, so I am building a Gaming/editing and the CPU Cooler I am getting is the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 2 and I am wondering, which side should my fan be on? Should it be pushing air into the cooler or pulling it into it?

And because I'm shit at explaining things if you didn't understand what I meant here's a "beautiful" diagram of some R4 Build I found on google

9nkkRHJ.jpg?1

I would say the front side. The exhaust from the cooler will be picked up by the rear exhaust fan.

| 3570k @ 4.5 | swiftech h220 ordered after patent issues | EVGA 660ti SC 3gb | 8gb gskill ripjaws | Asus p8z77-v lx | Corsair Ax 750 | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair C70 white | CM quickfire rapid mx browns | G500 | 

I would do it the blue text side and make the fan as pull since it would be easier to clean imo and this would direct the airflow to the rear where the exhaust can blow the hot air out.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I would leave it as push so that the VRMs on your board can get some incidental airflow, not much, but it's something.

System specs:  CPU: AMD Phenom II x3 705e unlocked to x4 overclocked to 2.8GHz   |   MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS   |   Cooler: Hyper 212+   |   GPU: MSI GTX 560ti OC to 910Mhz   |   RAM: 8GB PNY DDR3 1333   |   HDDS: WD Caviar Blue 320GB, Hitachi 500GB HDD   |   PSU: Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W   |   Peripherals: Microsoft wireless mouse, old mac keyboard, ASUS VS238H, Gateway FPD2275W, some speakers, Logitech Driving Force Pro

sometimes with heatsinks you don't have an option when it comes to memory clearance

Intel 4790k • Asus Z97-A • Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce • G.Skill 1866 4GBx2 • Corsair HX850W PSU • Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler • Intel 530 120GB SSD(OS) • 1TB HDD(Games) • Cooler Master HAF 912 • Logitech G15 Key • Razer Abyssus Mouse • Asus 24in 144hz VG248QE

It really doesn't effect on cooling performance. With some coolers you have option to install it so that fans are from bottom to top which gives more options. I use push since there's only so much space between rear fan and cooler. 

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Honestly it doesn't even matter. For my Hyper 212+ I used both configurations and they both gave me the same temperatures.