R9 390 vs R9 290x

Zbtr

I decided to trade my r9 390 and r9 285 to a new r9 390 or r9 290x. Which is better in performance or should i wait for r9 390x

İ5 6600k/ ASUS Z170A / GPU - / 16 GB Corsair lpx 2400 / 240 gb Hyper x Savage / Deep Cool CAPTAIN 360 / Xigmatec Vector 750W 80+ Silver / Zalman Z11 Neo / Corsair Sleeved Cable set / NZXT HUE +

390X > 290X > 390 > 290

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

290X is more powerful, and it's also cheaper, especially used.

I'd go with one over a 390 any day.

390X is wicked expensive for very minute boosts in performance compared to the 290X.

I assume you meant you're trading your 380 and 285 for a 390 or 290X, in that case I would go with the 390.

I decided to trade my r9 390 and r9 285 to a new r9 390 or r9 290x. Which is better in performance or should i wait for r9 390x

r9 290x is stronger but also very loud and runs really hot

i hope its a aftermarket cooler

390 is better than a 290x in the long run and runs about the same performance.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

390 any day.

The 390X for just a very few fps more does definitely not justify its premium price.

The only logical step up from a 390 would be a Fury.

The 390X doesnt realy has much reasons to exists for the gaming market if you ask me.

390 is better than a 290x in the long run and runs about the same performance.

In the long run it's not long before Fiji becomes the same price as the 390. Technology especially Graphics Cards evolves quickly so I would never say in "the long run". However the 390 is slightly better than the 290x given it has more VRAM and the aftermarket coolers overall are better. However, a higher clocked 290x will perform better every time and the 8gb of vram only comes in handy for specific games and crossfire. I would go with the 390 though unless it's like a gigabyte 390 vs a MSI Lighting 290x

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

In the long run it's not long before Fiji becomes the same price as the 390. Technology especially Graphics Cards evolves quickly so I would never say in "the long run". However the 390 is slightly better than the 290x given it has more VRAM and the aftermarket coolers overall are better. However, a higher clocked 290x will perform better every time and the 8gb of vram only comes in handy for specific games and crossfire. I would go with the 390 though unless it's like a gigabyte 390 vs a MSI Lighting 290x

It's not just the VRAM but the changes in architecture that makes the 390 the better choice for the long run. I spent 15 bucks more for my Nitro than I could have got a tri-X 290x. Best choice ever.

It's not just the VRAM but the changes in architecture that makes the 390 the better choice for the long run. I spent 15 bucks more for my Nitro than I could have got a tri-X 290x. Best choice ever.

No it's not. How many times do people have to tell you. It's the same exact chip but different PCB components and Bios. The architecture is how the chip is designed. AMD is not pretending that they have made a new card or something. Every GPU manufacturer refreshes former flagship GPUs and cuts the price. Fiji is the current flagship. 

No it's not. How many times do people have to tell you. It's the same exact chip but different PCB components and Bios. The architecture is how the chip is designed. AMD is not pretending that they have made a new card or something. Every GPU manufacturer refreshes former flagship GPUs and cuts the price. Fiji is the current flagship.

I didn't say it was a new chip, I said changes had been made because they have. The 290x is not as good as a 390, pure and simple.

http://vrworld.com/2015/06/24/amd-moves-to-justify-radeon-300-series-rebrand/ These are direct quotes from AMD. Nothing has been changed on the hardware side except for the VRAM. Bios has been tweaked for supposedly better power usage but this only applies in idle and is negligible in gaming as proven by other news sources such as HARD OCP and Tom's hardware. The memory clock was boosted out of the box but hynix memory used in most R9 290(x)'s is specified to run at 1500mhz and can go higher once overclocked. Also, the 390 has a higher out of the box core clock but the 290 can usually get 1050+ without any voltage boost. Not being biased, I would get the 390 over the 290x if they were the same price. But it doesn't change the fact that the only actual change was the VRAM. Hawaii was already very powerful 2 years ago which is why it has far outpaced kepler and can still compete with maxwell in 2015.

I didn't say it was a new chip, I said changes had been made because they have. The 290x is not as good as a 390, pure and simple.

For gaming? Out of the box yes, most games can't utilize the small difference in cores between the 290x and 390. However, "not as good" is a general statement. How? If you're trying to convince yourself that the performance is better just because there is a larger number in front, just stop. 

You said changes in architecture. The architecture is exactly the same which is why it's called a rebrand. If the architecture was modified then it wouldn't be a rebrand. That is what you would call "pure and simple". Saying that the 290x is not as good(which is a very general statement) as the 390 with no facts or evidence is what you would call unclear. 

You said changes in architecture. The architecture is exactly the same which is why it's called a rebrand. If the architecture was modified then it wouldn't be a rebrand. That is what you would call "pure and simple". Saying that the 290x is not as good(which is a very general statement) as the 390 with no facts or evidence is what you would call unclear.

I bought the 390 off of research where every 290x tested by an unbiased tester saw an issue with overclocking. Hell, Jay couldn't overclock his at all. Now I have both and can run both on the same exact PC playing the same exact games and benchmarks. I get a ten fps difference between the 390 and 290. The 290x is marginally better than the 290, just like the 390x is marginally better than the 390.

I bought the 390 off of research where every 290x tested by an unbiased tester saw an issue with overclocking. Hell, Jay couldn't overclock his at all. Now I have both and can run both on the same exact PC playing the same exact games and benchmarks. I get a ten fps difference between the 390 and 290. The 290x is marginally better than the 290, just like the 390x is marginally better than the 390.

Jay himself said that he got a dud. And if you want a comprehensive look on how people have been able to overclock their 290(x)'s check the overclock.net forum http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club

With the right temps basically everyone has been able to hit 1200+ on the core. I have overclocked my R9 290 to 1140/1625 and consider it to not be all that great. I have gotten performance consistently in line or above the 390x at that clockspeed. I plan to liquid cool the card today so I'll do another review of that. Not disrespecting your opinion but it's just untrue that the 390 has any advantage over the 290x other than the vram.

My review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/483258-how-is-the-r9-290-now-that-its-priced-like-a-budget-card/#entry6482674

Jay himself said that he got a dud. And if you want a comprehensive look on how people have been able to overclock their 290(x)'s check the overclock.net forum http://www.overclock.net/t/1436497/official-amd-r9-290x-290-owners-club

With the right temps basically everyone has been able to hit 1200+ on the core. I have overclocked my R9 290 to 1140/1625 and consider it to not be all that great. I have gotten performance consistently in line or above the 390x at that clockspeed. I plan to liquid cool the card today so I'll do another review of that. Not disrespecting your opinion but it's just untrue that the 390 has any advantage over the 290x other than the vram.

My review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/483258-how-is-the-r9-290-now-that-its-priced-like-a-budget-card/#entry6482674

Then we agree to disagree. You say rebranding, I say refresh. End of the day ether one is a great GPU and if you run a 1080p monitor at 60hz I double dog dare you to see a difference as they will both hit 60fps on most games.

Then we agree to disagree. You say rebranding, I say refresh. End of the day ether one is a great GPU and if you run a 1080p monitor at 60hz I double dog dare you to see a difference as they will both hit 60fps on most games.

I think the 390 is a killer card and especially the 390x now that it's $350 after rebate. I recently sent in a msi 290 gaming and hopefully I get a 390x back from rma.

I think the 390 is a killer card and especially the 390x now that it's $350 after rebate. I recently sent in a msi 290 gaming and hopefully I get a 390x back from rma.

Won't lie, that gold trim on the 390x is damn sexy. I think the 290/290x is a better looking card than the 300s. At least for Sapphire less money went into the back plate and fan shroud in the 390, which at first was a disappointment. I do miss the Sapphire logo that changed colors with GPU temperature and the GPU load LEDs. But the 390 is much easier to keep cool, though it's VERY prone to low pressure causing heat spikes. If I could get my Vapor-x to run like my 390 I'd keep the Vapor-x in the case.

Won't lie, that gold trim on the 390x is damn sexy. I think the 290/290x is a better looking card than the 300s. At least for Sapphire less money went into the back plate and fan shroud in the 390, which at first was a disappointment. I do miss the Sapphire logo that changed colors with GPU temperature and the GPU load LEDs. But the 390 is much easier to keep cool, though it's VERY prone to low pressure causing heat spikes. If I could get my Vapor-x to run like my 390 I'd keep the Vapor-x in the case.

I'm more than happy with what I've been able to squeeze out of my 290 on air. Now that I'm installing liquid cooling hopefully I can break the 1200mhz barrier by a decent amount. What clocks were you getting on your vapor x 290?

I'm more than happy with what I've been able to squeeze out of my 290 on air. Now that I'm installing liquid cooling hopefully I can break the 1200mhz barrier by a decent amount. What clocks were you getting on your vapor x 290?

I was at 1120 with the Vaporx but after the last driver I had stability issues in some games and benchmarks. Dropped down to 1090 and was fine. The 390 is happy at 1100.

I was at 1120 with the Vaporx but after the last driver I had stability issues in some games and benchmarks. Dropped down to 1090 and was fine. The 390 is happy at 1100.

The 10mhz difference should be 1 fps at max if you're aiming for 60fps. And 1100 is pretty low for both 390 and 290

The 10mhz difference should be 1 fps at max if you're aiming for 60fps. And 1100 is pretty low for both 390 and 290

That's at max voltage limit but no voltage added. I don't have an issue with fps even at max settings so have no reason to add voltage.

I have a trix 290x running at 1090/1380 at stock voltage if you guys want any 290x info.

At +100mV I've gotten up to 1155/1580

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H