could my gtx 950 support a triple monitor setup?

finn3732

i upgraded my pc with a gtx 950 about a mounth ago and im wondering iff the card can support a triple monitor setup?

the graphics card is not some old used one

its a new one 

It could drive 4 monitors but it wouldn't be good for gaming on them all. I hear not even the 970 is all that great for triple monitor gaming, due to vram limits.

i upgraded my pc with a gtx 950 about a mounth ago and im wondering iff the card can support a triple monitor setup?

the graphics card is not some old used one

its a new one 

yes it can, but playing on 3 at once is a whole other story

Yes, but i wouldn't recommend gaming across all 3 of them (if that was the intention).

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

yes but the VRAM might be an issue depending on the OS

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Doable but it has limits like others said about VRAM. FPS is gonna get significant hit if you do a surround/eyefinity gaming setup.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

It could drive 4 monitors but it wouldn't be good for gaming on them all. I hear not even the 970 is all that great for triple monitor gaming, due to vram limits.

Nobody mentioned gaming?

Could do it off a single DP + MST hub if the displays are 1080p

K, just making things clear here.

The chip can output 4 displays, probably all cards will have 4 display outputs.
That does NOT mean they all 4 work AT THE SAME TIME.

People will say "it's not true blabla", prove it. Take your gpu and plug 4 monitors on it, i can say now most of you will discover you actually can't do that.

So, the reason why it's usually limited to 3 displays:

Most gpu's have 3 chips that take care of taking the output from the gpu and transfering it to the monitor output.

Now, what most manufacturers do is connect 2 of the 3 chips and connect them to 2 outputs, result is that every combo with 3 outputs will work, but all 4 of them won't work at the same time. Because there are only 3 controllers to take care of a display. And who would ever try to use all 4 of them, right?

Most of the time it's the top DVI port that stops working when you connect all 4 displays btw.

So you can connect 3 monitors, but the chance you can use 4 at the same time is like really small, even if it looks like it should.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I'm pretty sure it can support it but there's a difference between support and run. If you're planning on using the the 3 screens for more real estate its fine but it's just not powerful enough for triple screen gaming

just to say i do want to game 

thats the idea

i dont need 3 for work,i dont even have work

i just want to play games like minecraft and grid on a triple monitor setup

K, just making things clear here.

The chip can output 4 displays, probably all cards will have 4 display outputs.

That does NOT mean they all 4 work AT THE SAME TIME.

People will say "it's not true blabla", prove it. Take your gpu and plug 4 monitors on it, i can say now most of you will discover you actually can't do that.

So, the reason why it's usually limited to 3 displays:

Most gpu's have 3 chips that take care of taking the output from the gpu and transfering it to the monitor output.

Now, what most manufacturers do is connect 2 of the 3 chips and connect them to 2 outputs, result is that every combo with 3 outputs will work, but all 4 of them won't work at the same time. Because there are only 3 controllers to take care of a display. And who would ever try to use all 4 of them, right?

Most of the time it's the top DVI port that stops working when you connect all 4 displays btw.

So you can connect 3 monitors, but the chance you can use 4 at the same time is like really small, even if it looks like it should.

i do want to game on 3 monitors but from what i heard you cant really with this card, so does that mean ill probaly have to upgrade my gpu before i invest in a triple monitor setup

i do want to game

You aren't going to be able to game on a 950 in a triple monitor setup.

An AMD cpu has no place in a solely gaming build, end of.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Why you shouldn't trust Gpu or Cpu boss Click on this I dare you!

You aren't going to be able to game on a 950 in a triple monitor setup.

poop

guess ill have to get a better graphics card

poop

guess ill have to get a better graphics card

Aim for an R9 390 nice amount of ram and powerful enough to run most games at medium high settings.

I3 4150, Intel HD graphics, corsair CX750M, 4gb ram, Asus H81M-E, corsair 230T, Intel stock cooler WD Green 2TB Gigabyte 550TI

Aim for an R9 390 nice amount of ram and powerful enough to run most games at medium high settings.

sounds good

is a gtx 980 like the same?

could the card support a duel monitor setup for gaming?

sounds good

is a gtx 980 like the same?

If you are looking at the same price point as a 980 then a R9 390X will perform better at higher reseloutions due to it's 8gb of ram compared to 4gb or ram.

If you are looking at the same price point as a 980 then a R9 390X will perform better at higher reseloutions due to it's 8gb of ram compared to 4gb or ram.

k

ill probaly have to wait till christmas to get the card

what if i put 2 960s is SLI would that out that be a better option cause ill probaly have have a 500$ budget 

Playing minecraft on 3 screens depends on your cpu as well. Minecraft is not a very demanding game graphics wise, but anything else will be hard. And by work they mean either a job or school work. I assume you have one of those? And a 390/980 are completely different cards. the 390 is around 300-400 dollars (USD) and the 980 is about 550+. Consider that, but they are very top of the line cards. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390-vs-GeForce-GTX-980 The 980 wins, but if you are considering the 980, also consider the 390x. Basically, the 950 CAN run minecraft 3 monitors, but not really anything else. And if you want to play other games surround, get the 980 or 390X.

i do plan upgrading the graphics card around christmas 

and i have an i5 4460k so i can handle alot of games easily

Playing minecraft on 3 screens depends on your cpu as well. Minecraft is not a very demanding game graphics wise, but anything else will be hard. And by work they mean either a job or school work. I assume you have one of those? And a 390/980 are completely different cards. the 390 is around 300-400 dollars (USD) and the 980 is about 550+. Consider that, but they are very top of the line cards. http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-390-vs-GeForce-GTX-980 The 980 wins, but if you are considering the 980, also consider the 390x. Basically, the 950 CAN run minecraft 3 monitors, but not really anything else. And if you want to play other games surround, get the 980 or 390X.

Don't use that website it's complete BS see my sig...