Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ladicius

Is playing games with a MX Master reasonable

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello peeps, I'm looking into purchasing an MX Master in a month or two and was wondering if the DPI it has is enough for gaming, I'm not very knowledgeable on mice, so I'm interested to hear what you have to say.

If this becomes a debate, then let it, and join in if you want.

But if you have have solid reasons as to why or why not, then post them here, and who ever I find has the most evidence for what they're saying will be the person I mark resolved.

Thanks!

WIP Build (Maul):

| CPU: R5 3600 | AIO: Stock GPU: Undecided (Vega 56 prob) MB: B450M RAM: 32gb 16x2 DDR4 3000mhz | PSU: Undecided HDD 1TB m.2 SSD | Case: Inwin 301 | $800-1000 PCPartpicker

Old Build (Vader):

Spoiler

| CPU: FX 8350 | AIO: h100i GPU: G1 GTX 970 MB: 990FXA-UD3 RAM: 8gb Vengence LP 1600mhz | PSU: EVGA 500B HDD 1TB x2 & 120GB Kingson SSD | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 |

Idle: 11-17c, Browsing: 13 - 23c, Load: 22 - 39c | Fedora & Arch Linux | $1,053 PCPartpicker

I use 650 dpi on a 4k monitor. You'll be just fine. Going too high with the dpi causes a loss in precision and control; I'd rather have a large mousemat and make larger movements than not being able to control small movements for the sake of not moving much to do a 360

...is there a question here? 🤔

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work? Asus PB287Q unboxing! Console alternatives :D Watch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Depends on the games you play. DPI is not a factor when it comes to sensor quality - most people play shooters on DPI lower than 1000. If you are going to play CS GO with that mouse, don't get it - it's heavy so don't expect to do dem sick flickshots easily and probably the sensor has built in acceleration which isn't good for competitive shooters. You'll have no problem playing casual games like League of Legends though.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Asrock H97M Pro4 | Core i5-4590 | 2x4GB Geil Evo Leggera 1600mhz | ASUS R9 280X DirectCU II | A-Data SP920 128GB / Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | FSP Raider 550W | Fractal Design Define R4 | be quiet! Pure Rock | Dell U2312HM | SteelSeries Rival 300 White | 

AMD Kaveri based laptop

Pretty sure that mouse is locked to 125 Hz refresh rate, so try to avoid it.

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

That mouse is absolutely amazing for work: well laid out, sensible macros, etc.  However, it's certainly not a gaming mouse (as people above have said), nor does it claim to be one.  I get a mouse targeted at gaming that gets good rep (Logitech G303, Sensei, anything with good reviews on amazon) and use that instead.

Depends on the games you play. DPI is not a factor when it comes to sensor quality - most people play shooters on DPI lower than 1000. If you are going to play CS GO with that mouse, don't get it - it's heavy so don't expect to do dem sick flickshots easily and probably the sensor has built in acceleration which isn't good for competitive shooters. You'll have no problem playing casual games like League of Legends though.

League isnt really a casual game but rather there isnt such a need for accurate optical mice as there is in fps games. But you can do good with any mouse om any game there are very skilled pros in CS who use mice like the Sensei which has quite some built in accel(JW uses it and plays for the best team in the world). Its all a matter of getting used to it

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I used to use a Logitech MX Revolution (the first generation of the same product, I think?) many years ago. I really loved it for gaming, the frictionless scroll wheel could be very nice in certain games. But these days I think I usually keep my mouse around 2300 DPI… 1600 DPI max sounds kind of awful to me, even for my design work.

Of course that's a matter of personal preference and what you're personally used to. DPI isn't necessarily a "more is better" scenario. Higher and lower values both have benefits and downsides, and in most cases you can adjust to a big DPI change.

as long as the mouse feels good in your hand then all is good you can use it for gaming, normal tasks or whatever

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

I have the MX Master, I use it for pretty much everything EXCEPT gaming. Even though it has the lowest latency I have used for a wireless mouse it still can't keep up with a proper wired mouse. I've tried using it for FPS games and League and in both of them I just couldn't get used to the response time and how it kind of overshoots where you want it to go sometimes when you move quickly. I still love this mouse though, I just keep a wired on plugged in to play games with.

Desktop: i7 7700K @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB DDR4, Cooler Master H80i v2, 500GB M.2 SSD, Cooler Master Q500L case, Sapphire RX 590 8GB

Laptop: Eluktronics Mech 15 G2, i7 8750H, 1060 6GB, 16GB DDR4, 480GB Nvme SSD, 144hz panel  

Laptop: Eluktronics W650kk1, i5-7400, 8GB DDR4, GTX 1050Ti, 250GB WD SSD, 120Hz Asus Display  

Laptop: Alienware 18 (2014). I7 4930MX @ 4.1GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB 840Evo, 1TB HDD, GTX 980m 8GB  **Broken**

Laptop: Razer Blade Stealth 2017, i7 7500u, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

Laptop: Razer Blade 14 mid 2016. I7 6700hq, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 970m 6GB.

Laptop: Origin Eon11s. i7 3820QM, GT 650M 2GB, 120GB SSD, 16GB DDR3 RAM, 11.6in 768p display  **Dismantled**

I run a Mad Catz R.A.T. 3 at 3500 DPI with a very large mousepad for navigating my large dual monitor setup. But for gaming i stick to a wired 360 gamepad for comfort.

Project Hephaestus

Intel Core i5 6600K @ 4.2GHz~ASUS Maximus 9 Hero~32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz~ZOTAC GTX 980 AMP Ed.