DAN Cases - A4-SFX the smallest ITX gaming case in the world

dondan
10 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Best PSU that fits the case is the Corsair SF600

I'd agree with you here. While it's not SFX-L, Amazon UK reviews for the Silverstone SFX PSUs are mixed at best. Many complaining of terrible coil whine. However, with the Corsair PSUs, I've seen nothing but positive reviews. 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Just now, Davehaslanded said:

I'd agree with you here. While it's not SFX-L, Amazon UK reviews for the Silverstone SFX PSUs are mixed at best. Many complaining of terrible coil whine. However, with the Corsair PSUs, I've seen nothing but positive reviews. 

Don't do consumer reviews for PSUs, do professional reviews.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=477

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-sf450-power-supply,4512.html

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

8 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Professional reviews are based off one, cherry picked model. At least with consumer reviews, you can get a pretty good judge of real world performance, especially if you use the 'search reviews for..' function. 

Sadly ive been caught out before by pro reviews 

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

Professional reviews are based off one, cherry picked model. At least with consumer reviews, you can get a pretty good judge of real world performance, especially if you use the 'search reviews for..' function. 

Sadly ive been caught out before by pro reviews 

Gotting caught cherry picking a model that is actually different to the retail version would result in a PR disaster, so I find it unlikely. On the other hand, consumers don't have load testers, oscilloscopes, or software that measures hold-up time or PWR_OK signals. They can only comment on whether the PSU has worked at all or if it blew up. That's not very useful.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Gotting caught cherry picking a model that is actually different to the retail version would result in a PR disaster, so I find it unlikely. On the other hand, consumers don't have load testers, oscilloscopes, or software that measures hold-up time or PWR_OK signals. They can only comment on whether the PSU has worked at all or if it blew up. That's not very useful.

I think it's safe to assume units are tested before being sent out for review though. I suppose I use a combination of the two. I wouldn't be searching Amazon for a product unless I'd already seen great reviews. But I would t exclusively buy a product unless user reviews were positive too. The Silverstone SFX PSUs are a great example. All reviewed well on tech sites, but user reviews are mixed and plentiful enough to be dismissed. 

Spoiler

I think it's safe to assume units are tested before being sent out for review though. I suppose I use a combination of the two. I wouldn't be searching Amazon for a product unless I'd already seen great reviews. But I would t exclusively buy a product unless user reviews were positive too. The Silverstone SFX PSUs are a great example. All reviewed well on tech sites, but user reviews are mixed and plentiful enough to be dismissed. 

What do the bad reviews say on them?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, Energycore said:

What do the bad reviews say on them?

Just a quick snapshot of a few. As I said, not a great sign. Too much smoke for there. It to be a fire. I e seen the coil whine and chirping mentioned in forums too. 

IMG_6162.PNG

IMG_6163.PNG

IMG_6165.PNG

IMG_6166.PNG

IMG_6167.PNG

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Davehaslanded said:

Just a quick snapshot of a few. As I said, not a great sign. Too much smoke for there. It to be a fire. I e seen the coil whine and chirping mentioned in forums too. 

Bad fan noise is definitely a concern, but look at that guy rating 1 star for not including a UK cable xD

Consumers be like "Came in with a small paint scratch. 1 star"

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

As I said, it's always worth actually reading the reviews and making an informed choice. Having said that. If you do t have a spare U.K. Plug, then not receiving one is a pretty big problem as now you have an unusable power supply. I've had it happen to me with other products before. 

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Okjoek said:

I'm waiting to see the Sentry case from that Polish team. In reality though I plan someday to just get the Fractal Design Node 202. I understand wanting to make a system small, but really there's no practical reason to go smaller than a home console which I think the node does well. It just makes life harder by making it harder to get good temperatures while at the same time giving no substantial benefit over cases like the Node.

I looked at that Sentry case http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/#gallery and I don't like the design as much, I would rather have something closer to a cube as to have 3 smaller dimensions of similar sizes instead or 2 large dimensions and 1 small dimension aka: Console-esque. But to each his own :)