Project Megalodon Desk Case Build Log/Planning

Noobular

Well, Hello everyone .. I've had an issue with the past cases I've used where they're generally unattractive, they're not custom enough where it feels like my own and it's just plain annoying to try and swap parts out .. the aim for this build is going to be speed part swapping, good looks, and overall just to make it mine.

I give you... MEGA DESK CASE (because I don't know any good name for this thing in it's current concept state)

This is a 6ft by 2ft desk, the drawers are 30 inches tall and around 15-18 wide 

(In it's current state nothing is set in stone other then the 6ft and 2ft.

Part Sponsors!

Company Name: N/A

Part: N/A

Company Name: N/A

Part: N/A

-----------------------

I want to build a bada.. an awesome desk case.

So I started to look around at different desk builds and mods people have done along the interwebs and I found things which made my creative bloom!

I started sketchup and began learning how to use it and started to design it

9df8599e45.pngNot realizing you could delete things to make open spaces I just made open pits for everything to distinguish where I had planned to place things. (that didn't last long)

So I decided to actually "paint" it so I generally knew how it should look and well in sketchup black on black wood doesn't work well actually being able to distinguish the different pieces so I had to keep it the normal wood material. (It's going to be black when built)

8cb4700b53.jpg

59e62b7232.jpg

Don't mind the hole in the back I was in the process of trying to figure out where everything is going to go in such a big desk and actually look nice still.

Current Plan:

Front holes are 5.25 inch bays for 

1 Power switch & Reset with 4 usb combo

1 USB / Card reader combo

1 Disk drive

f010b5468b.jpg

f0047701a0.jpg

2bd15764da.jpg36edfef014.jpg

I was unaware of the fact there were models already for sketchup made.. (Thanks linus) So i added them in everything in here is subject to change mainly because none of these are my current parts!

7b8d6ad1e0.jpg

This is the current state or look of the build the most that's changed is i tinted the glass and the original 480mm rad was taken out and i'm looking at 2 360mm rads because well... they look better then the single and they fill space!

{Thank you Forum member W-L for the suggestion!}

The specs for this Build are not that insane actually.. it's taking the parts out of my current mid level build and putting them into this and if there's any sponsors that send things those too!

Storage --- 

(x1) Kingston 128gb SSD [startup and Smaller programs]

(x2) Western Digital 500gb HDDs [Games, scripts , other things  I've created]

CPU: 

AMD Phenom X6 1035T [Clocked at 2.6GHz Not overclocked]

GPU: 

R9 270x [2gb vram]

RAM---

(x1) 8GB Viper extreme DDR3 at 1600MHZ 

(x2) 2 GB GSKILL sticks (At 1600MHZ)

PSU:

Unknown (I assume around 750watts but i don't remember, it's been 3 years since i've actually changed it)

Motherboard:

Unknown (Was in the original pre built purchased in 2010

These are the current things I need to purchase for this build eventually, if i don't have them when i start the building process reasonably soon i'm going to have to either be lucky on marking out the wood to the correct size or i'm going to not be able to do it.

Hard Drive Cages:
Currently my plan is to rip the current ones out of my pc but it would be basic snapping ones not easy an hot swap cage which i want asap.

Watercooling:
480mm Radiator
(x2) 360mm Radiators 
Back 1st and 3rd section of the desk.

Motherboard:
I may upgrade the motherboard since it's unknown , old and i'd like to have a fullsize atx so that it would fill more space and has more space for future upgrades.

Monitor Mount:
I'd like to have a monitor mount to well mount my dual monitor setup since i'm always struggling with things on my desk and it would save space (which is another reason why it's going to be 6 feet long)

Case fans:
Well for the possible watercooling along with normal air cooling fans are going to need to be bought i have planned 140mm with green leds.

Possibly more in the future?

More updates coming soon!

First one to follow :D. Looks interesting.

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

First one to follow :D. Looks interesting.

Well, Thank you! I appreciate it :) if anyone has any suggestions at all for what either should be in or functionality of the desk just suggest it i'd love to hear other peoples ideas.

• 1 month later...

Bonus Update: Everything is measured out refering to how much wood needed and i'll be getting the wood soon and then the build process will start.

Possible name: Project Megalodon 

Since it seems to be the... Biggest.

• 2 years later...

I feel like responding to this would be nice, so as of current the desk is built... Kinda. Essentially I changed the idea from making a case in the desk which has been done and even though it looks badass I thought I'd make something that would last longer ?, so this was my solution 8ft by 3ft desk in 3 main sections with server cabinets being the sides. I just now finished staining the final side and I'll worry about the server bars later ? but I'm just so happy to have this finally finished.

Also for reference in the finished picture , that's a 40" tv in the center

IMG_20180313_194035.jpg

IMG_20180313_194043.jpg

FB_IMG_1520341782871.jpg

FB_IMG_1510115926634.jpg

FB_IMG_1510115922809.jpg

FB_IMG_1510115916619.jpg

FB_IMG_1510115907496.jpg

FB_IMG_1510115903975.jpg

FB_IMG_1510115891166.jpg

FB_IMG_1510115881534.jpg

FB_IMG_1510115874586.jpg