Anti-Static and Corsair Spec-01

lasttimelord12

Hello everybody,

I will be building my PC in a couple of days and I wanted to know about anti-static.

I have a couple of questions so I will list them in order of curiousity.

1) Do I need an anti-static wrist strap?

2) If I do need one, where on my case would I attach it (corsair spec-01 case.)

3) Does paint really affect how you ground yourself?

4) Where on the corsair spec-01 is the metal "bare"

5) How would I ground myself using the case if I didn't have an anti-static wrist strap.

Right now, in my house even on the carpet in my room I haven't been shocked. Would laying some cardboard beneath my feet where I'm building be safer, or should I just take it to another room. My only concern of taking it to another room is that the PC will be too heavy to bring back up the stairs to my room.

Nah, I usually bolt my feet to a metal base connected to the soil outside.

TL:DR: you don't really need one.

EDIT: In order to ground yourself plug the PSU in the wall (don't power it on) and touch it. done.

EDIT2: Don't work on a carpet to avoid risk.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Nah, I usually bolt my feet to a metal base connected to the soil outside.

TL:DR: you don't really need one.

EDIT: In order to ground yourself plug the PSU in the wall (don't power it on) and touch it. done.

Hi, I heard that if you do the PSU thing it'll kill you. Or maybe I read something wrong? And what about when I'm wiring the PSU into power slots, I'll need to unplug it, right?

MFW has built 7 pc's on carpet and all of them are fine....

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

Hi, I heard that if you do the PSU thing it'll kill you. Or maybe I read something wrong? And what about when I'm wiring the PSU into power slots, I'll need to unplug it, right?

If you stick a metal rod in the PSU and power it on I'd say it's likely to kill you. Touching the metal casing of the PSU is harmless. That's how I check if it's warm when under heavy load.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

If you stick a metal rod in the PSU and power it on I'd say it's likely to kill you. Touching the metal casing of the PSU is harmless. That's how I check if it's warm when under heavy load.

Ok, so just to confirm. I plug the PSU into the wall outlet, but make sure the power switch is off on the back of the PSU.

When it's time to start plugging stuff into the psu then what? Unplug it from the wall?

Ok, so just to confirm. I plug the PSU into the wall outlet, but make sure the power switch is off on the back of the PSU.

When it's time to start plugging stuff into the psu then what? Unplug it from the wall?

Preferably yes. Plug all the cables where they belong and do your cable management gently before plugging the whole thing in the wall. You can check if it works before routing the cables behind that back if you want, so as to avoid wasting time if something doesn't work.

Preferably yes. Plug all the cables where they belong and do your cable management gently before plugging the whole thing in the wall. You can check if it works before routing the cables behind that back if you want, so as to avoid wasting time if something doesn't work.

Ah ok, so that way I only have to move the cables a little bit.

If I plug the cables into the power connectors while the psu is plugged into the wall but turned off, while I break anything?

Ah ok, so that way I only have to move the cables a little bit.

If I plug the cables into the power connectors while the psu is plugged into the wall but turned off, while I break anything?

I don't think so but just be safe and unplug it from the wall. No power going through is the best way to have it while building.

I don't think so but just be safe and unplug it from the wall. No power going through is the best way to have it while building.

Sounds good. Thanks