Question: US Layout Mechanical Keyboards in UK

Eric The Tech Guru
Go to solution Solved by Damikiller37,

Great, thanks.

I'm looking at the WASD keyboards and I think I'd get the barebones blues and get a blank keycap set, but it seems really pricey just for blank keycaps.

Are there better places to get blank keycap sets that ship to the UK?

Thanks!

According to the WASD Keycaps Compatibility page their keycaps will fit a Filco keyboard which should mean that this blank keycap set for a Filco keyboard would fit a WASD keyboard too LINK.

As far as I can tell, you won't be able to get the keycaps any other way apart from the ones I mentioned, WASD Keyboards website and from eBay which are from WASD Keyboards anyway and imported from US.

Hi, I'm an expat from the US living in London.

I've recently been looking at getting a new mechanical keyboard to retire my 104 Key WASD Code (MX Cherry Clears).

I've picked up a Corsair K65 10 Keyless, but realized too late that it's in the UK keyboard layout.

I've been using it for around 2 months now, have just started at a new job, and would like to get a new keyboard to take to the office (I work on a mac and I'm not a fan of Apple's standard keyboards, plus it's like a czech keyboard layout for some reason). 

My question is: Where can I get US layout keyboards in the UK, and what would be a good MX Cherry Blue 10 keyless keyboard to get?

Thanks!

(My price range is anywhere between £80-£175)

EDIT: I set my system language to US English so a few of the key print changes don't affect me, but the different sized keys do.

I should mention, I'm a software developer and having some of this stuff switched around really throws me off because of the frequency I use special keys like @, $, ", ', #, and \

Hi, I'm an expat from the US living in London.

I've recently been looking at getting a new mechanical keyboard to retire my 104 Key WASD Code (MX Cherry Clears).

I've picked up a Corsair K65 10 Keyless, but realized too late that it's in the UK keyboard layout.

I've been using it for around 2 months now, have just started at a new job, and would like to get a new keyboard to take to the office (I work on a mac and I'm not a fan of Apple's standard keyboards, plus it's like a czech keyboard layout for some reason). 

My question is: Where can I get US layout keyboards in the UK, and what would be a good MX Cherry Blue 10 keyless keyboard to get?

Thanks!

(My price range is anywhere between £80-£175)

just a quick question:

isnt the only difference between US and UK keyboard is that the @ and " swapped around?

just a quick question:

isnt the only difference between US and UK keyboard is that the @ and " swapped around?

nooooooooooooo.

400px-KB_United_Kingdom.svg.png

just a quick question:

Well, the enter key on a US keyboard is a 'Return' key on the UK keyboard, takes up one key width on one row and then two key widths on the row above it, where the second keywidth of the US enter key usually is is a key with the tilde and # symbol. The @ and " keys are also switched.

The left shift is only one key wide, the \ | key takes the place of the second keywidth.

That's about it.

difteclats-us-uk2.png

Um, why don't you just use a UK keyboard set to US like I do?

And yes, I know that I'm in the UK and using a US layout.

Sig under construction.

ANSI is the US standard. ISO is common with European layouts.

Build Log: Monochrome

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K | Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87MX-D3H | Graphics Card: Asus HD 7970 DirectCU II | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | PSU: Corsair CXM 600 | Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB,2 Seagate Baracuda 3TB | Case: Corsair 350D Window

WASD Keyboards does ship to UK so you could order a keyboard from them or you could see if there are any keyboards that you would be interested in on Massdrop. I'm unsure about the post and packaging cost as well as the duties and taxes that may apply so you may need to contact them to make sure on those.

EDIT: WASD Keyboards International shipping page: LINK

WASD Keyboards does ship to UK so you could order a keyboard from them or you could see if there are any keyboards that you would be interested in on Massdrop. I'm unsure about the post and packaging cost as well as the duties and taxes that may apply so you may need to contact them to make sure on those.

Thanks, I've looked at Massdrop and the shipping fees and such are insane to the UK :P Might as well not even have a discount on it.

I'll have a look at the WASD site again. I had tried to move away from them a bit just to test other keyboards out there, but I guess if I'm forced back, I'll check. 

Have you looked at any Razer ones? they typically only ship in the US layout :D

PC Specs:

CPU: i5 4670K  4.5 GHz  | CPU COOLER: H80i | GPU:EVGA GTX 780Ti  |  Motherboard: MSI Z87I   |  Case: Bitfenix Prodigy  |  RAM: 8GB Avexir Venom  |  HDD: Seagate 1TB , 60GB Agility 3  Monitor: 32" HD TV (LOL)   PSU: Corsair 750W

Also you can get some US layout Filco and Topre keyboards from this website LINK (Just scroll down and there will be a section with Mechanical keyboards USA)

Great, thanks.

I'm looking at the WASD keyboards and I think I'd get the barebones blues and get a blank keycap set, but it seems really pricey just for blank keycaps.

Thanks!

Great, thanks.

Thanks!

According to the WASD Keycaps Compatibility page their keycaps will fit a Filco keyboard which should mean that this blank keycap set for a Filco keyboard would fit a WASD keyboard too LINK.

As far as I can tell, you won't be able to get the keycaps any other way apart from the ones I mentioned, WASD Keyboards website and from eBay which are from WASD Keyboards anyway and imported from US.

Great, thanks.

Just purchased the Black 10 Keyless Barebones US Switch Layout with blues and a set of blank, lighter grey keycaps from WASD.

Now, I wait.

:D