How fast does the Intel TIM dry up?

Go to solution Solved by Jumper118,

yeah I disagree with that im pretty sure it wasnt the case with my 3570K.

OP: I used AS5 and even when it dries (which usually takes around 6 months) temps do not rise more than 5-6c compared to day 1

well ivy and haswell had crap tim. it was designed to last ages, but be cheap not run cool. that is why it was bad. the bad tim should not degrade as it is sealed in from the factory so there isn't any air to dry it out. a good paste should not dry out for years and hold good thermal performance within 2-3c. 

I mean the stuff under the heatspreader.I don't want to have to keep messing around with it and risk messing up the processor
the 4790k is very good compared to the 4770K's so it will be fine unless you get a defective one, in which case you can rma it. intel have a really good rma service i am told. 

One thing that has been keeping me from wanting a main series i7 is the TIM. I tend to think in long-term and don't want it drying up in 2 years. Or does it dry up at all?

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

I mean you can always delid it instead.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

from my experience with my 3570K , I would say 8 or 9 months after that temps increased noticeably higher and once I delidded (here) I reduced the core temps average of 18c (using AS5) but then again this might not count for anything newer than 3570K.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I mean you can always delid it instead.

any good TIM that doesn't dry up or hurt the die?

Uh? Do you mean the thermal compound? >.>

Why would that stop you from getting a new processor? Just scrape it off and throw some high quality stuff on there... it's like a 15$ purchase xD

I use Arctic silver 5, but because that's all that is locally available for me, and it gets the job done.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

One thing that has been keeping me from wanting a main series i7 is the TIM. I tend to think in long-term and don't want it drying up in 2 years. Or does it dry up at all?

the tim under the die is designed to last the life of the cpu at least. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

the tim under the die is designed to last the life of the cpu at least. 

OP: I used AS5 and even when it dries (which usually takes around 6 months) temps do not rise more than 5-6c compared to day 1

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Uh? Do you mean the thermal compound? >.>

Why would that stop you from getting a new processor? Just scrape it off and throw some high quality stuff on there... it's like a 15$ purchase xD

I use Arctic silver 5, but because that's all that is locally available for me, and it gets the job done.

I mean the stuff under the heatspreader.I don't want to have to keep messing around with it and risk messing up the processor

??

You don't need to replace that, like, ever. You should never have to actually open up the cpu mate. it's a sealed environment so it doesnt really dry out.

As other's have said it's designed to last a long, long, long time. And if it ever does begin to degrade performance, it's only ever a very, very menial increase in temps. More than worth it for a newer processor from the 3 or 4 series.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

well ivy and haswell had crap tim. it was designed to last ages, but be cheap not run cool. that is why it was bad. the bad tim should not degrade as it is sealed in from the factory so there isn't any air to dry it out. a good paste should not dry out for years and hold good thermal performance within 2-3c. 

the 4790k is very good compared to the 4770K's so it will be fine unless you get a defective one, in which case you can rma it. intel have a really good rma service i am told. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

hmm, alright

well if I can't find some way to afford a prosumer chip then I'll go for a consumer i7, that should still be really powerful.