Formatting hard drives for cross platform NAS

reiderj8

I am trying to create a NAS drive using a raspberry pi and samba. I am also trying to setup a software RAID 1. 

The problem I am having is that whenever my pi loses power, it will no longer recognize the drives. Nor will it even recognize the drives period. I even tried plugging the drives into my windows machine and it does not recognize the drivers as being partition. 

Anyone know of a solution or have any other recommendations of getting this setup and stable?

Thanks.

I am trying to create a NAS drive using a raspberry pi and samba. I am also trying to setup a software RAID 1. 

The problem I am having is that whenever my pi loses power, it will no longer recognize the drives. Nor will it even recognize the drives period. I even tried plugging the drives into my windows machine and it does not recognize the drivers as being partition. 

Anyone know of a solution or have any other recommendations of getting this setup and stable?

Thanks.

Hey reiderj8,

When you plug those drives in your system, how are they recognized? Are you plugging them internally or externally? How are they formatted when used with the Raspberry Pi?

Here's a short tutorial on how to use Raspberry Pi as a NAS: http://www.instructables.com/id/Raspberry-Pi-Torrent-Samba-and-DLNA-with-3-hard-dr/

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

When you plug those drives in your system, how are they recognized? Are you plugging them internally or externally? How are they formatted when used with the Raspberry Pi?

I plug it in with a sata to usb3 adapter. I believe that I am formatting the drives using ext4. I didn't follow that particular guide, but I followed one that is very similar to it.

I plug it in with a sata to usb3 adapter. I believe that I am formatting the drives using ext4. I didn't follow that particular guide, but I followed one that is very similar to it.

Are you using a full enclosure or just a SATA to USB cable? What drives are you using? 
I looked around for similar problems on the net and apparently it is a common issue. Users recommend that you use drives with power saving features with Raspberry Pi if you plan on using it as a NAS. Try checking the Raspberry's website for some useful KBs and advice on that problem.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/